Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

Addiction Transfer after Weight Loss Surgery

Rate this Entry
I recently read the following information while searching for a topic for a paper I am preparing for for one of my psychology courses and found it not only enlightening but beneficial for those who may be living with a similar situation. ~ Shannon

"Science is currently seeking ways, from behavioral to pharmaceutical interventions, to prevent addiction transfer from occurring after weight loss surgery.

Ensuring patients undergo adequate psychological screening before bariatric surgery is a potentially preventive measure that is getting more attention lately. These screenings can help ensure that people undergoing these procedures have a low level of addictive behavior. Physicians should also emphasize the need for ongoing behavioral counseling to prevent the development of new undesirable behaviors. People need to understand what drove them to overeat initially and learn new skills to deal with underlying issues like loneliness, stress, traumas, and so forth.

In addition to counseling, support groups have proven to be beneficial because they put people into contact with others like themselves who are able to ease some of the isolation and shame they feel regarding their predicament. Participants also feel encouraged by the progress others are making. There are several support groups that deal with food and drinking addictions.

Overeaters Anonymous (O.A.)
Food Addicts Anonymous (F.A.A.)
Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous (F.A.)
Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.)

Clinical trials examining the effectiveness of various drug therapies are also underway. Topomax, a drug originally developed to treat epilepsy, has shown some promise as a treatment for alcohol abuse and compulsive overeating. The antidepressant Wellbutrin and the smoking cessation drug Zyban have demonstrated potential as treatments for gambling, overeating, and nicotine dependence. Many other drugs specifically designed to treat compulsive behaviors are currently under development and testing.

Weight loss surgery does not cause addictions. Instead, people who are addicted to food may find a new compulsion once they are unable to overeat. The lesson to be learned from addiction transfer is that to lose weight successfully and keep the weight off, you must find a way to treat the cause of your food addiction.

Dieting and surgery will treat the symptom of obesity, but not the issues that caused you to overeat initially.

To improve your odds of success, you need to be honest with your surgeon about your eating habits and other lifestyle issues before and after surgery, and you need to participate in the behavioral programs prescribed. With openness and hard work, you can set yourself free from your old habits and body weight."

Submit "Addiction Transfer after Weight Loss Surgery" to Digg Submit "Addiction Transfer after Weight Loss Surgery" to del.icio.us Submit "Addiction Transfer after Weight Loss Surgery" to StumbleUpon Submit "Addiction Transfer after Weight Loss Surgery" to Google

Comments

Addiction transfer is a real thing! I find that now I'm addicted to working out. If I can't work out I sort of guilty. With my injured back this has been most problematic. However I'm learning to deal with it and have not turned to food again.
    Hi Cody!

I suppose if one is to have an addiction to something, working out is a positive step in the right direction as opposed to the sort of addiction transfer they are referring to within the article I posted.

I know under medical recommendation most people tend to shy away from alcohol after undergoing VSG. And while I admit having tried a small quantity of liquor a few months back, I found that my tolerance was much higher than outlined in literature and through conversations with my surgeon. And for that reason, I too tend to err on the side of caution when approaching the consumption of alcohol. The last thing I want to see happen is to swap one problem with another.

Have a great weekend and a super next week!