Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

Clothes Shopping 101

Rate this Entry
The topic of shopping for clothes has been showing up in the threads and blogs I have been reading. As a direct result (and if I am so inclined), I have chosen to openly discuss this topic for those who have yet to experience this firsthand.

Let discount, secondhand, and thrift stores become your ally. Any of these stores will benefit you (and your pocketbook) greatly when searching for clothing that may only be temporarily worn. What I currently do is shop for my current size, as well as a size smaller all with the idea that I will at some point be in the smaller size. I don't go crazy - although you will find as your clothes fall off of your body that your need outweighs your desire for something smaller in size and if you find quality clothing (which is possible in these outlets) you will want it all.

It's a tough gamble though, so try to stick to a budget and a plan and you should be fine.

You are in a state of flux. Keep this in mind as you look for items that are of a smaller in size. I can't stress enough that you don't have to buy everything you find (although the temptation can be a bit overwhelming), and there may be times you won't find anything. This is fine too. At this juncture in your journey, you are buying more out of necessity, so...be smart and keep it simple.

In the early stages of your journey I would strongly resist buying new as much as possible only because you will find that by the time you reach home with said new items, they will no longer fit the way they did in the store. I know...some of you may not like utilizing discount, thrift, or secondhand stores, and that is fine. Just know that the overall shopping experience can get overwhelming, as well as taxing on the bank account.

Donate. Donate. Donate. I can't stress this enough. There are folks out there much like yourself in search of clothing items they can fit into as they reduce in size while on this amazing journey. Lend them a hand and donate quality gently used items so that they too can have a go at representing themselves in the best possible light.

You will eventually be able to purchase the clothes you desire from stores that you had never dreamed of shopping in when heavier, but be patient. As with all good things, you much wait until it is time - and you WILL know when it is time.

I wish you all of the luck in the world on your weight loss journey. Stay slim. Stay strong. And most of all, stay YOU!

Submit "Clothes Shopping 101" to Digg Submit "Clothes Shopping 101" to del.icio.us Submit "Clothes Shopping 101" to StumbleUpon Submit "Clothes Shopping 101" to Google

Comments

I had some things that got too big before even taking off the tags!
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    I had some things that got too small before even taking off the tags!
    Hi sraebaer!

Same here. So we can (as I am certain countless others can) testify as to how quickly this can happen.

I recognize some folks do not like to shop at my suggested retail sites, and that is fine. I am just passing on what I have learned with the hope that someone will recognize that they will be spending money frivolously should the only choose to shop name brand stores.

Granted, I have found great deals on discounted racks at these stores, but until I have reached goal, I refuse to pay full retail price on something that may (or may not) fit in two weeks. But that is just me...
    thank you for the advice! I am having the surgery next week and have not purchased any clothes for summer because I just don't know what size I will be.
    Great advise Shannon. I have donated a ton of clothing to our local charity store.
    One of the best pieces of advice I was given before surgery was to buy small amounts of clothing and to buy cheap. It's crazy how quickly clothes become too big. I shop at discount stores and if you pick carefully I don't think anyone can necessarily tell. Actually I have had comments on some of the clothes I wear now. I also now have a much smaller (in every sense) wardrobe and am just trying to make do until I get to where I want to be. It's great fun shopping and sometimes it's totally unbelievable the sizes that I am able to buy now. So much more variety :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon'sVSG
    Hi sraebaer!

Same here. So we can (as I am certain countless others can) testify as to how quickly this can happen.

I recognize some folks do not like to shop at my suggested retail sites, and that is fine. I am just passing on what I have learned with the hope that someone will recognize that they will be spending money frivolously should the only choose to shop name brand stores.

Granted, I have found great deals on discounted racks at these stores, but until I have reached goal, I refuse to pay full retail price on something that may (or may not) fit in two weeks. But that is just me...
    I meant too BIG before taking off the tags. I lost all my weight in 9 months, so from a size 22 to an 8. The weight falls off so quickly save your clothes cash until you reach your goal.
    I totally became a regular at the local second hand store down the street. It kept me from wasting money during the weight loss phase. And I donated all my old clothes as well. I also let my clothes sag as long as I could before getting anything additional. I did buy a dress for my Christmas party and was sad it got big so fast. But hey...someone else got a nice dress for cheap.
    Hi erc70!

You're more than welcome regarding the advice. Anything to help, anytime. It is maddening how quickly clothes you once had become too large, so you can only imagine wasting good money on clothing that will do pretty much the same until you reach your goal weight (or a weight that is near your goal weight.) Don't get me wrong, you will eventually purchase some things, I would suggest doing so in smaller quantities because the aforementioned yet astounding dilemma that will inevitably present itself to you.

Congratulations on your surgery. T-minus and counting, an the you will be off and running to a new and much improved you!
    Hey Lisa!

No thanks is necessary. I am just trying to help those who have yet to experience this wonderful yet inevitable dilemma.

My wife and I also shop at these stores, and much like yourself, we have had positive comments on our attire and inquiries as to where we may have found these items. It really is beneficial in the short term because of the necessity I spoke about in my blog, but I have found that even as a size 34 waist and a size X-Large/Large shirt, I tend to gravitate to these stores because I can find quality brand names on their racks for a quarter or an eighth of the price that it would cost in one of the name brand stores.

And I couldn't agree more: it's remarkable the sizes that my wife and I are able to buy now. There is so much more variety to choose from as opposed to the larger sizes. Gotta love the process!
    Hey there Christie13!

Many thank you's for donating your old clothing! While I understand that it does not always go to VSG or other weight loss recipients, there are quite a few recipients out there who have already followed this sort of advice who are benefiting from donations like yours (something I am sure you are already aware of. )

Much like yourself, my wife and I allow our clothes to sag until we can no longer tolerate it because it simply makes no sense to throw good money towards something that will inevitably become a re-donated item.

I understand about the nice Christmas dress scenario. I am in the market for a nice sport coat, and unfortunately I have had no luck at the local second had stores. I am having a hard time spending the money on something that may (or may not) fit me well in six months. Having said that, as a result I have yet to purchase one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon'sVSG
    Hey there Christie13!

Many thank you's for donating your old clothing! While I understand that it does not always go to VSG or other weight loss recipients, there are quite a few recipients out there who have already followed this sort of advice who are benefiting from donations like yours (something I am sure you are already aware of. )

Much like yourself, my wife and I allow our clothes to sag until we can no longer tolerate it because it simply makes no sense to throw good money towards something that will inevitably become a re-donated item.

I understand about the nice Christmas dress scenario. I am in the market for a nice sport coat, and unfortunately I have had no luck at the local second had stores. I am having a hard time spending the money on something that may (or may not) fit me well in six months. Having said that, as a result I have yet to purchase one.
    Maybe you have a nice sport coat you could have altered, that would cost much less than a new one. Hubby just lost 20 pounds (no dieting, just biking) and has a quite expensive suit being altered for an upcoming wedding. I personally donated all my clothes, as I had nothing expensive!!
    Hello sraebaer!

Therein lies the problem. I have always been a jeans and t-shirts kind of guy. I mean, I have some nice shirts, but I have no suits or sports coats to speak of. Hence the unwillingness to purchase something right now. I really don't want to throw good money after bad since I am still losing excess weight. But I must admit to liking the idea of finding a jacket and eventually having it tailored to the newer smaller me.

Thank you for the tip!

I applaud you for donating your old clothing. It really does benefit so many people. And with any luck, some of it will go to folks like ourselves who have undergone weight loss surgery and are in need of inexpensive, smaller clothing.

Have a great weekend!