Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

Frustration Doesn't Begin to Describe My Emotions

Rate this Entry
I have come to the realization that I have been basing my food consumption on the time frame that has elapsed since my VSG procedure rather than looking within and going with what feels right to me and my body.

This has been a HUGE source of frustration for me because I have been diligently working hard to move further down the weight scale, and yet despite my best efforts I am not moving below 240 pounds.

I know, I know...slow and steady wins the race. I understand the concept behind this statement, however feeling as though I have reached a plateau is, in and of itself, a rather grandiose form of frustration for me. I find myself questioning everything I am doing. So much so that I am beginning to point a crooked finger at myself all with the notion that I am in some way unknowingly sabotaging my own success thus far.

Writing that makes me realize that I guess I really don't believe the substance of that sentence, yet I am finding difficulty understanding why there is no movement on the scale. I know I am still losing my overall size because some of my older clothing items literally hand from my shoulders and my waist, but it is the obese part of me (refer to my previous blog posting "8 Months Post-op" for a deeper understanding) that feels as though I am doing something terribly wrong. I just don't for the life of me know what it can be.

If have nothing else right now, I have a sense of strength and determination to see this through. After all, I don't really have an option because a new life of obesity is NOT in my future.

Submit "Frustration Doesn't Begin to Describe My Emotions" to Digg Submit "Frustration Doesn't Begin to Describe My Emotions" to del.icio.us Submit "Frustration Doesn't Begin to Describe My Emotions" to StumbleUpon Submit "Frustration Doesn't Begin to Describe My Emotions" to Google

Comments

I'm sorry that you are so frustrated at the moment. It's great that you are looking past this and focusing on your future. You definitely have the strength to move forward.
    I'm coming up 9 months and my weight loss has definitely slowed down. I think our bodies have a lot to contend with at the moment.
    Stay strong and focused and I'm sure there will be movement downwards soon.
    Ok...for me....when things seemed to slow/stall....I was actually eating too little. I was lucky in the fact that I was very good with my solid proteins and then veggies rule. I rarely had room for carbs. I think the way I ate helped tremendously. Those solid proteins kept me full way longer than carbs ever could.
    I was in a similar situation when I was 5 pounds above goal for a YEAR after breaking my neck. Never being a tracker, I joined Weight Watchers, and lost 10 pounds pretty quickly. Their plan is basically how we are to eat, things like fruits, beans, veggies, fish, chicken, etc. are "free" and you track everything else. It sort of opened my eyes to some of the things I was eating that I thought were sleeve friendly, which weren't, like my low-fat greek yogurt. I was eating way too many nuts, while healthy, a ton of them is a ton of calories. And don't even get me started on my wine.... Then the app gives you points for every restaurant, and that was a shock too. Like the Bang Bang shrimp I love at Bonefish Grill are basically all my points for the day. (I used to think shrimp equaled protein, forgetting the fact it was deep fried). I know we're not on a "diet" but it worked for me to get rid of weight that was stuck for a year. I only had to pay for a few weeks because I'm a lifetime member, got small back in the days of phen-phen, but obviously gained it all back. Now I attend for free and do enjoy it as an additional support. Just an idea.

So sorry you're frustrated, but you'll figure out what works for you. You're determined!
    Hi Lisa!

As always, thank you for the words of encouragement. They are very much needed and greatly appreciated right now.

I knew the slowing down process would come, I suppose in hindsight I didn't expect it would be as soon as it has been. I was looking forward to a solid year of success and then I could expect the slowing down process, but that may not seem to be the case. In any event, I think I have figured out what it is I need to do (longer and more difficult cardio and possibly implement a food diary again to see what I am actually doing incorrectly.)
    Hey there Christie13!

I hadn't considered the possibly that I may be eating too little. If anything, it is far too easy to assume one is eating incorrectly (hence my current mindset.)

I think I am going to re-implement a food diary to track what I am consuming and the quantities in which I am consuming said foods. By doing so, I hope to stumble across some profound and rational reason for my stall/plateau. After all, the last thing I want to be involved with is eating too much - even if it purely accidental.

I do consume a small mount of carbs - some crackers with soup or a sprinkle of croutons on a salad (and maybe that is the sole reason for my current situation) but they are so small in quantity that I never considered them to be the culprit. I don't know. In any event, I fully intend to get to the bottom of this and turn everything on its ear so that I may continue to strive for my goal weight.
    Hi sraebaer!

Thank you for the words of encouragement and the suggestions therein. Some of the things you said make perfect sense (low-fat Greek yogurt, nuts, etc.) I too am consuming these things, but because we are told they are good for you, I assumed that I could utilize them accordingly. Now I am reconsidering my current eating habits.

As for Weight Watchers: I never considered that as an alternative tool to my VSG. Definitely something to consider implementing into my daily routine.

Again, thank you for everything. You are a HUGE source of inspiration!
    If someone had mentioned Weight Watchers on these boards a few years ago I would have told them they were crazy. People probably think I'm crazy, but it really helped me. I don't track on their app anymore, I have learned through my mistakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon'sVSG
    Hey there Christie13!

I hadn't considered the possibly that I may be eating too little. If anything, it is far too easy to assume one is eating incorrectly (hence my current mindset.)

I think I am going to re-implement a food diary to track what I am consuming and the quantities in which I am consuming said foods. By doing so, I hope to stumble across some profound and rational reason for my stall/plateau. After all, the last thing I want to be involved with is eating too much - even if it purely accidental.

I do consume a small mount of carbs - some crackers with soup or a sprinkle of croutons on a salad (and maybe that is the sole reason for my current situation) but they are so small in quantity that I never considered them to be the culprit. I don't know. In any event, I fully intend to get to the bottom of this and turn everything on its ear so that I may continue to strive for my goal weight.
    Oh the irony!! When have we ever thought we might be eating too little?? We are very used to eating too much but this eating too little thing is foreign to us. Use a tracker and see how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Oh the irony!! When have we ever thought we might be eating too little?? We are very used to eating too much but this eating too little thing is foreign to us. Use a tracker and see how it goes.
    I agree with you, Christie13. It has always been about the quantity of consumption, the taste, the need to feed if you will. That in mind, (speaking for myself) I believe that is why there is such difficulty in finding ease in monitoring what I am now required to consume for nourishment. I am now tracking and I feel like I am back on track. Only time will tell, but better to have caught this now that 20 pounds later.