Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

8 Months Post-op

Rate this Entry
Today is a special day in that it marks the eight-month anniversary since I underwent VSG with Dr. William Arnold in Scottsdale, Arizona.

During this time a great deal has been learned not only about this procedure, the journey, and the expected outcome of said procedure and journey, but about myself as well. I now recognize that I am significant, valuable, and viable member of society, and that despite having lost a significant amount of weight, I will always see myself as an obese male. I say this not with any negative connotations, rather with a sense of reality that lends itself to teaching me more about myself and who I have chosen to become. I recognize and embrace who I once was because it is my belief that by doing so, I will never forget the struggle to get to this juncture in my journey.

I love who I have become, and I am excited to see where I will be at my 12-month anniversary. But I am also realistic in that I know how easy it is to revert to old habits. Over the course of the past three months I did just that. I make no excuses for my shortcomings, and I refuse to beat myself up over situations that I have since regained control over. But I saw firsthand how easy it is to falter. And because of my mistakes, I am a better person for having learned the hard way that it takes one moment; one decision; and one bite.

It really is that simple.

Over the course of the next four months I have set small goals for myself in an attempt to push onward in obtaining my overall weight loss goal of 185 pounds. Does that mean that I will reach said goal? Not necessarily. But it is what I strive to achieve. And If I can even come close (down to 200 pounds – that’s 10 pounds a month over the next four months) then I will be more than satisfied with myself. That will then be a net loss of 135 pounds lost to date. To reach my target weight will see me at 160 pounds lost. Either way, I will feel a HUGE sense of accomplishment.

I look forward to what the future has in store for me. I see nothing but great things taking place, and as such find myself in a position where some serious decisions must be made (more on that later) but know that wherever I find myself in this vast world, I will be in a much happier place than where I once resided.

Submit "8 Months Post-op" to Digg Submit "8 Months Post-op" to del.icio.us Submit "8 Months Post-op" to StumbleUpon Submit "8 Months Post-op" to Google

Comments

Fantastic Shannon, how are the workouts going? And either way whatever happens its a HUGE accomplishment :-)
    You may be surprised and not ALWAYS see yourself as an obese male. I felt that way for the first year or two, but now at almost 5 years, my mind has changed. I no longer continually ask my husband if I look "normal." I've almost forgotten about the fat me.

So excited to hear about your future decisions!
    It sounds as though you are doing so great in all aspects or your life.
    Well done you!
    Hey there Edie!

The workouts are going great! Thank you for asking. I find I feel I am "lacking" when I take Saturday off (that tends to be my free day) so when I get back into my routine on Sunday I am quickly reminded how easy it is to fall off of course and feel the slightest struggle that is required to get back on said course.

And I agree...whatever happens, it is a HUGE accomplishment.
    Hi there sraebaer!

You may be onto something regarding not always seeing myself as an obese male.

It will be a while before I can see my mentality changing, but I do not rule out the fact that it may change. Five years is a long time to be thin, and once I have reached that pinnacle, I may have adopted your mentality toward obesity, but as for now...as I write this, I lean on my past as a way of serving as a reminder that it is just that easy to slip back into old habits thus leading me down that slippery slope of obesity once again (a place I have promised myself I would NEVER revisit in the physical form.)
    Hey there Lisa!

Thank you for the kind and inspiring words. While I am trying to maintain greatness in all aspects of my life (leading by example is a task that is not easily maintained, by the way) I find myself pushing the boundaries of who I am and who I have chosen to become - hence the candid blogs I post here. After all, it has to begin somewhere, correct? Why not do so with like-minded people who may be able to benefit from experiences I am living and/or have encountered.
    Shannon I think that it is really wise to take a day off. Muscles need rest too to grow and what have you. I take tues and Sunday off, though sometimes I will go for a run on Sundays but the rest of the time I do crossfit. 5 days and a quick run is enough for me. I wouldn't feel bad about having a rest day, emabrace it for your muscles :-)
    Sounds like you are doing amazing! Kettle bells are super ace for you. I don't know if you've got a rowing machine but I would say that if anyone choose to buy one big piece of equipment I would choose that. Rowing machines work your whole body and are amazing. But drive your own bus! Sounds like you have it sorted :-)
    Awareness is so key in this process. Realizing that it is easy to stumble and that we are human. But equally important is dusting yourself off and getting back on your path. You are going to get there....I see the tenacity of your character in your blogs. You got this!! Maybe it is sooner than you think or later than you think. But regardless...it will happen. Wishing you continued strength and truth on your journey.
    Hey there Edie!

I would LOVE to do Crossfit or a rowing machine, but where I am located, the best I can do is the local gym (which leaves a lot to be desired) or come up with an exercise regimen that will best suit my needs and the needs of my wife. Considering the conditions of the local gym, my wife and I choose to take matters into our own hands by taking the above-mentioned approach. So far, it seems to be working; now, if I can only figure out the stall I am currently in...I will be running full tilt in the direction I see myself going in. But as you mentioned, it would seem I have it all sorted out. Now I need to move the scale.
    Hey Christie13!

I couldn't agree more in that "awareness is so key in this process," and that "equally important is dusting yourself off and getting back on your path." I agree, I know I will get there. I have no doubts, but as I'm sure you know, when frustration begins to creep in and point a crooked finger at you, you can't help but wonder if there is something you could be doing better. That's where I currently reside.

I just need to shake off the negativity and (pardon my expression) kick some serious ass!