Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

A Constant State of Flux

Rate this Entry
By a show of hands (or a response below this post) how many of you out there in the Gastric Sleeve Community are like me in that you find yourself day in and day out stepping on the scale multiple times throughout the day, all with the hope of seeing some form of success as weight slowly drops off of our ever-changing bodies?

I admit it. It is a terrible habit of mine: the scale. As much as I embrace the fact that I am in a state of constant flux, I find that depending upon the outcome of my multi-visit weigh-in's, said outcome can and often times does determine the manner to which I approach my day. To say it is a make or break situation would be an understatement. If I show a loss on the day, all is well in the forefront of my mind and I generally stay off of the scale throughout the majority of the day. If I show inconsistencies on the day, I find that I am on the scale more times than I care to admit - all with the hope of seeing some sign of improvement as the day creeps on, and those terrible thoughts that I keep tucked away in the dark recesses of my mind tend to creep back in for a not so cordial visit.

It is my belief that as Gastric Sleeve recipients, we are not only expecting to, but expected to lose weight on a daily basis. By and large do we? Absolutely. Even if it is a half a pound on the day, it is a success because it is a half a pound less than the previous day's weigh-in. But if there is stagnancy, or if there is a half a pound gain...all bets are off and the rest of day is spent in some form of turmoil over the fact that there was a gain.

The reality is this: we are in fact in a constant state of flux. We are going to see minor (and yes, major) success throughout our weight loss journey. But hand in hand with that, we will also see minor (and hopefully not major) setbacks. It is all relative to the bigger picture that is the weight loss process. This is not to say we should knock ourselves down when we reach these varying changes, rather we should embrace them, reflect upon them, and learn from them. Because that is the only way we are going to be successful long term.

If we can better understand what we are (and are not doing) correctly regarding our exercise programs and our daily food intake, then we can effectively apply that knowledge to our ever growing arsenal of bariatric information, and from there utilize it to the best of our capabilities.

This is not to say we should live and die by our daily numbers. In fact, the opposite can be argued. Allow me to give you an example. As previously stated, I was notorious for stepping onto the scale throughout the day. Finally I decided to have my wife securely tuck the scale away in a designated area that I know nothing about. Once a week (usually on Saturday) she will pull out the scale and I will record my success for that week. This seems to be serving me well in that I am no longer obsessing over a number. I now recognize it is about a reduction in size more so than what the scale reads. And for that, I am grateful.

When I began this journey I was a 44 waist and a 2-3XL shirt. I am now a 34 waist and a L-XL shirt, and I couldn't be more pleased. I am still around 240 pounds, but the clothing sizes do not lie. In fact, they tell an all-together different story of my journey thus far. Would I like to lose more? Absolutely. But if I never lose another pound, but can remain at this size, I will have considered my surgery and weight loss journey to have been a major success.

Submit "A Constant State of Flux" to Digg Submit "A Constant State of Flux" to del.icio.us Submit "A Constant State of Flux" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Constant State of Flux" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

And you will lose more Shannon, I have no doubt :-)
    If you have to weigh yourself all the time, once first thing in the morning will be enough!
    A very inspirational post Shannon.
    Hi Stacey03!

Thank you for the vote of confidence. Much like yourself, I have very little doubt that this is as far as I will go. I have every reason to believe this is just the beginning...but in the event it were to stop tomorrow, I would feel satisfied with my accomplishments thus far.
    Good morning sraebaer!

I couldn't agree more. One trip to the scale should be adequate. But there are those troublesome times wherein I find myself going three or four times a day.
    Hi Alisonjayne!

Thank you for the kind words. I try to post topics that are beneficial not only to myself or my wife, but to others who may be dealing with the topic of the day. It is sometimes challenging doing so, but I know there are far more folks out there who remain silent if not for any other reason than because they are shy. With that in mind, I write about topics that can do some good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon'sVSG
    Hi Alisonjayne!

Thank you for the kind words. I try to post topics that are beneficial not only to myself or my wife, but to others who may be dealing with the topic of the day. It is sometimes challenging doing so, but I know there are far more folks out there who remain silent if not for any other reason than because they are shy. With that in mind, I write about topics that can do some good.
    I weighed myself often throughout my weight loss journey. I am now in maintenance and weigh myself at least 2X a day. Sometimes more. At this stage it is mostly because I like to see how different things affect me. I will say that with the frequent weighing I will never be one of those people who lets 40 pounds creep up on me. I don't think it is necessarily a bad obsession unless you let it change the way you feel about yourself or your journey.
    Thanks for this entry! My weight is definitely falling, but it seems like I'm up a pound, down two, up one, down two, and onwards. But in the big picture of clothing sizes, energy, all is positive overall despite small speed bumps in the road.
    Hello Christie13!

And to think I thought I was the only one practicing the art of overweighing one's self. I say that jokingly, because I am fully aware that I am not only one doing this, however, there are times I feel like it is overkill. But I do agree with you in that I find myself doing so after having tried different things. It is interesting to me to learn how certain foods can affect my weight throughout any given day.
    Hi MikeMo!

It was my pleasure to have posted this today. I agree with you about the see-saw effect our weight plays on us. If can be an irritant, but as you said "in the big picture of clothing sizes, energy, all is positive overall despite small speed bumps in the road." Very well put.
    Thanks for this very interesting topic. I too weigh myself numerous times a day. I feel deflated of I dint see the scale move and wonder if having the sleeve was with it, but then I see that I am down 2 clothes sizes and realise the scale doesn't always tell the whole story. Well dune on your achievements so far.
    Thanks for this very interesting topic. I too weigh myself numerous times a day. I feel deflated of I dint see the scale move and wonder if having the sleeve was with it, but then I see that I am down 2 clothes sizes and realise the scale doesn't always tell the whole story. Well done on your achievements so far.
    Greetings elllie!

I can relate to what you're going through as the term you used: "deflated" probably best sums up my mood is I have found that there has been little or no movement - or worse, my weight creeps back up, if even a half a pound.

But as you stated, I too recognize that I am down several clothes sizes (from a 44 waist currently to a 34) and I know that I am on track and quickly remind myself of something my surgeon once said: "it's not about the number on the scale but the overall size of your body that matters."

It sounds like you are doing well thus far! Keep up the great work and know that wonderful things await you. You just need to exercise patience, be diligent, and work hard and you will reach your goals.