Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

...And So It Begins.

Rate this Entry
For those of you who have followed me since joining this community in September of last year, I am left to assume that you are knowledgeable regarding my setbacks and successes, and to those of you who are new here, WELCOME! What I promise you will find with my blog posts is that I am nothing if not candid regarding my struggles. Reason being: there is no benefit for any of us if I post cryptic writings that only I understand. I want everyone here to see that I, much like the rest of us, am fallible. I make mistakes and I learn (sometimes critically hard) that my mistakes are put in place to teach me valuable lessons about who I am and who I have yet to become. Having said that...

Speaking from experience, do not for one moment think that VSG surgery is a cure-all. If anything, it is the salve used to aid in healing old wounds (sometimes emotionally, as well as physically). I know because I have suffered from both with equal amounts of pain and struggle. But it was through that pain and struggle that I learned who I truly am, what I really want out of life, and how I plan to achieve the goals I have set forth to accomplish.

I encourage you to do much of the same. Do not simply sit idle and hope that surgery alone will solve your problems. Physically, it will open many doors that you may have never had the opportunity to have walked through. Emotionally, you will see with more clarity what it is you need from yourself (because like it or not - YOU are now priority number one!)

Without a doubt, you have family, friends, pets, hobbies, etc. that you place in order of priority. But where do you fit into the equation? Are you at the top of the list with everyone else, or do reside somewhere at the bottom of the priority list?

For many years I was at the bottom of my list. Everyone and everything came before me. I had every excuse imaginable to make sense of why I chose to do this, but the reality was that I felt insignificant, invaluable, and incapable of being loved in the manner to which I loved everyone else. This was no mistake. It was all by design. I felt most comfortable standing small behind everyone else. It meant that I could go unnoticed; just the way I liked it.

In September of 2017 I underwent VSG with Dr. William Arnold out of Scottsdale, Arizona, and that was exactly what I needed to recognize my value to this world. Not only did he make me feel that I had some personal worth, he made me feel like I was special if not to anyone other than myself. That is not to say he was the reason behind my discovery, but he certain was the catapult that propelled me in the right direction.

From there, much like you will find within yourself, it will all fall on you to determine your place in this world. Not one person or thing will be able to do accomplish this for you. You will need to put in the hard work to discover who you are.

You've got this. Now go out and get it.

Submit "...And So It Begins." to Digg Submit "...And So It Begins." to del.icio.us Submit "...And So It Begins." to StumbleUpon Submit "...And So It Begins." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Love these words of wisdom. I totally relate to all of this. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    Lovely post Shannon. I am glad you have found yourself. I couldn't agree more that this surgery is an awakening.
    Hi KiwiGal!

Thank you for the kind words. I greatly appreciate them.

I am happy to learn that you can relate to my story. It's interesting to me to know that despite our many differences that my story, and many more like it, are the story of the masses. The only difference? The names and faces have changed. But we have all gone through a transformation of sorts as a direct result of VSG surgery.

Have a great week!
    Hello Christie13!

Thank you for the kind words. As I expressed to KiwiGal above, I truly appreciate everything anyone has to say regarding my blog posts - especially when I learn that they can serve as a reminder to all who read them that we are all in this together.

Have a great week!
    Absolutely, lovely words Shannon :-)
    Greetings Stacey03!

Thank you so very much for such kind words. It means a great deal to me to know that my experiences (although sometimes difficult) can best be utilized in a manner that benefits the entire Gastric Sleeve community.

The last thing I would want to see happen is for the community to believe I am becoming a braggart by boasting of only my successes. This is why I choose to share some very personal and often times difficult lessons I have learned as a VSG recipient.
    We all have difficult times to share Shannon and you are certainly not a braggart :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    We all have difficult times to share Shannon and you are certainly not a braggart :-)
    Thank you for acknowledging my approach. I greatly appreciate it.