Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

This Is Your Life Now

Rate this Entry
In recent days, my wife (a fellow VSG alumni) and I have had conversations related to the successes and failures we feel we have been experiencing as a direct result of complacency, lack of local VSG community support, personal decision making, etc. And it was though these conversations that we have concluded that while we may feel a loss of accountability and support that we once experienced in Phoenix, we still have one another, and that between she and I, that should be more than adequate regarding the above-outlined discrepancies we have been experiencing as of late.

The reason(s) I bring this up vary, but the overall sentiment is that she and I recognize that we need to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and as a collective unit pursue our goals with all of the gusto we once had when we left the hospital some three days after undergoing VSG surgery.

As was recently pointed out to me (and I reiterate for anyone currently undergoing the same or similar experiences), the failure and success rate is 100% mental. The way you think and behave regarding VSG is determined by the manner to which your choose to live your new life. It as new life, full of vigor and revitalized by the recent loss of weight you have experienced, the new found freedoms you now have due to a recent loss of co-morbidities, and a happiness and joy your now shining smile bring forth.

You are better than you once were, whether you recognize it or not. You are no longer confined to the limitations your body once placed upon you. And you are stronger for having made the life-altering decision to undergo VSG surgery. You are a new and improved you, and you need to recognize and love yourself as such.

I agree, it can be difficult to let go of past mistakes. They have been ingrained into our psyche, and as a result, they have taken a toll on our bodies and our thought processes. We believed our worst was really our best and accepted life for what it once was. NO MORE! It is time we stand individually and collectively in support of who we are and who we are to become, because without the love and care we bring into our own lives, we are incapable of sharing it with others in similar situations.

Submit "This Is Your Life Now" to Digg Submit "This Is Your Life Now" to del.icio.us Submit "This Is Your Life Now" to StumbleUpon Submit "This Is Your Life Now" to Google

Comments

Sounds like you're getting your mind in the game. You and your wife are going to reach your goals with that wonderful attitude! Enjoy!

Hubby is a great cook, and always follows our made-up "rule of two" for meals. Last night was trout with a tomato/avocado salad. Another night shrimp stir fry with veggies. Or salmon with cauliflower. Steak with onions and a lettuce salad. The limits are endless. I'd say we eat mostly seafood or chicken, with a little red meat or pork once in a while.
    I really needed to read this today. Thank you ��
    Hi sraebaer!

It took a little bit of a reality check to do it, but that's what was required to do just that: get my mind back in the game.

My wife and I also cook for two - although we find that from time to time we resort to old recipes that were meant for an entire family. Then we are left with a load of food (some of which we freeze for a later date) but by and large find that it ends up getting old and/or going bad, so we essentially waste food. But it is better than consuming it simply because it is there.

But you are correct in saying that the limits are in fact endless. It is more a matter of applying one's self and doing the right thing.
    Hi Balmain1!

It is my pleasure. I found that I too needed to hear it, if not from someone else, then from myself. Have a great day!
    Sounds great Shannon, you are each others greatest support :-)
    Hey there, Stacey03!

Thank you for recognizing what my wife and I are attempting to accomplish for one another. I mean, if we can't lean on one another, who can we turn to in times of need much like this?

Here's to a great week filled with many successes!
    "You are better than you once were, whether you recognize it or not. You are no longer confined to the limitations your body once placed upon you. And you are stronger for having made the life-altering decision to undergo VSG surgery. You are a new and improved you, and you need to recognize and love yourself as such."

Very moving words brother. I wish you well on this leg of the journey. We win as a team, and lose as a team.

You got this!
    It's a beautiful thing to go through this with the support of your loved one. Happy to hear you are both getting your minds right for your journey.
    I came back to this post, and now was hung on: "the failure and success rate is 100% mental"

In life, this is true for all obstacles and very true in the WLS area. Great insight
    Quote Originally Posted by manzerick
    I came back to this post, and now was hung on: "the failure and success rate is 100% mental"

In life, this is true for all obstacles and very true in the WLS area. Great insight
    Thank you, manzerick. For understanding and for taking my words to heart. Very much appreciated.