Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

A Few Observations

Rate this Entry
In light of yesterday's blog post, I have taken stock of my successes (and failures) at eight months out and what I have concluded is as follows:

I have lost 80 pounds thus far. I have moved from a size 44 waist to a size 34 waist - a HUGE difference when shopping for clothes. My shirt size has been reduced from a 2-3XL to a L-XL (depending in the brand name). My overall stamina has increased, as has my ability to function at a pace that excites me. I can eat less and become full without over indulging in foods that I now recognize are bad for me. My overall mental state (all things considered) has increased and become heightened. And I have confidently re-entered a Psychology program at an online university to continue in my Master's degree as a Counselor of Psychology.

Some of the negatives I am finding are that it is much easier to become self-destructive in terms of drinking, eating, etc. My weight can fluctuate dramatically over the course of a 24 hour period (which in and of itself can become disheartening). My mental state, while predominantly sound, can lend itself to behavioral patterns that might otherwise find me making poor choices in terms of alcohol consumption, food intake, etc. And I am on the same medications that I was on pre-op (which might be the root cause for some of my irrational decision-making).

I know, I know...this may sound like I am complaining, and I assure you, I am not. I have just taken a personal inventory of my life and these are some of the realizations I have come to. Some of you may feel the same, and if you do, know that I respect your struggle to be consistent in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It is not easy no matter what struggles or successes you face. You are not alone, and you always have this community to lean upon should you need to hear the voice of reason.

Submit "A Few Observations" to Digg Submit "A Few Observations" to del.icio.us Submit "A Few Observations" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Few Observations" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Love the positivity! 80 pounds is a whole lot of weight! And more to go now I'm sure.
    Fabulous Shannon, its a big journey and you are doing great :-)
    Hi sraebaer and Stacey03!

You ladies are far too kind. But once again, thank you for the positive vibes. The more the better (and as far as I'm concerned, in the spirit of VSG, there can NEVER be enough positivity and kind words to be shared.)

Thanks to community member like yourselves, I am quickly being reminded why the Gastric Sleeve community network is such an important tool in the overall success of one's weight loss journey.