Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

elllie

no appetite

Rate this Entry
It now 41/2 weeks since my surgery and I have been on puree food for 4 days. However i can't face the food and don't feel like eating at all. In fact i don't even feel like drinking. I am forcing myself to, but I feel bloated when i do. Does anyone have any advice. I have done very well so far. In fact I got rid of my biggest sizes, as I am now 2 sizes down. x

Submit "no appetite" to Digg Submit "no appetite" to del.icio.us Submit "no appetite" to StumbleUpon Submit "no appetite" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

If you can't eat food, just go back to the protein shakes. You have to just do it! I know I had a minimum protein and liquid requirement to meet in the beginning. (And the protein shakes/drinks count as liquid too.)

By taking little sips all day long, you shouldn't feel bloated. Good luck!
    Totally agree with sraebaer on this one. You've swapped out a gallon bucket for a 1/4 cup container. I've found myself feeling stuffed eating 2/3 of a Jenny Craig diet entree, which in the past felt like a warm up act to dinner. And drinking water really is a chore, not only is it difficult to drink at times, but it tastes different (not in a good way) and I have to take small sips over an extended period. I can nurse a 16 oz bottle of water over a whole day, dropping it into a fridge from time to time to keep it cool.

I'm seven weeks out and about 2/3 of my meals are either protein snacks (shakes, lunch meat in small servings, string cheese) or soups (primarily chicken or beef chili, or chicken soups). Sandwiches do bloat me so if I eat a sandwich, it might only be half of a chicken salad sandwich on white bread, not the whole thing. I have found myself making a very conscious decision to try to minimize or avoid bread, chips, or anything that takes up space that doesn't either contribute to protein or fiber intake.

It really makes a difference if I drink within 30 minutes before or after eating, and not a good difference. The overwhelming majority of my meals are around 300 calories, and in a typical day I'm between 1100 - 1300 calories. The biggest struggle is hitting my protein goal, which forces me back to increased shake consumption.

What you're describing is pretty normal, and I wouldn't worry too much. I figure eating less is less a bug and more a feature of this procedure. The main worries is that you don't go dehydrated, get your vitamins, and get your protein in. Cover those three bases, and the world continues to rotate on its axis. Enjoy the feeling of being smaller, it really is wonderful isn't it?
    Updated 05-10-2018 at 08:23 PM by MikeMo (add one additional thought)
    Elllie, you are still in the early stages since you started puree such a short time ago. Give it time, your baby stomach is still getting used to the new food and hopefully will adjust. Its one thing to have no appetite and another to be hungry a lot which I am...every 2-3 hours and it gets annoying! I don't think my surgeon got much of that hunger part of my tummy but he certainly reduced it since I can only tolerate a couple tablespoons of soft food. My husband calls it a thimbleful!
    Staying hydrated and getting enough nutrition is crucial. You don't want to get sick. And be sure you are taking your vitamins. As stated above, keep sipping protein shakes all day if you must. I get it. I was very full very easy. It would take me an hour to eat a container of the Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt. No joke. It will get better. Slowly but surely.
    I had eating issues too after surgery. I couldn’t get the water in me, and I loved water prior. It didn’t taste the same to me for the first few months. I made sure I drank protein shakes (I still to this day drink Premier Protein chocolate shakes daily, and Ideal Lean powder protein choc brownie shakes... no carbs, no sugar and 80 calories but 30g of protein- I believe.)

I couldn’t eat more than 2 tbs of soft food for months, and was lucky to get in 380-400 calories a day. That’s including the shakes. Then 5 months post op my appetite came back and I was panicking. But, my stomach is so small now that I can’t consume anything near to the size of foods I packed in before. I stuck to eating healthier- with moments of slipping here and there- but I couldn’t over eat because there was no room. 6 months post op I was down 102 pounds and have gained a little back, but I work out and needed more calories. 13 months out and I do still struggle to get 800-900 calories a day in.
    Just take it slow but drink water and supplement with shakes for protein.
    Thanks everyone for the advice, it is always valuable and motivational as you have all done well. I did force myself to eat a little, but my problem isn't being full, it is I have no appetite and just can't face the puree food anymore and I still have 21.2 more weeks of it before I get to mashed food. The one thing I do make sure I take everyday are my vitamins and because they are dissolve able ones I am getting some fluids in. I decided to increase my fluids by going back to broth as I enjoy homemade chicken soup. Y
    I never purred anything Ellie, I was like urghhhhh! I just couldn't stand the thought so I ate soup too then moved onto cottage cheese :-)
    OMG, I bought baby food! Biggest mistake ever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by elllie
    Thanks everyone for the advice, it is always valuable and motivational as you have all done well. I did force myself to eat a little, but my problem isn't being full, it is I have no appetite and just can't face the puree food anymore and I still have 21.2 more weeks of it before I get to mashed food. The one thing I do make sure I take everyday are my vitamins and because they are dissolve able ones I am getting some fluids in. I decided to increase my fluids by going back to broth as I enjoy homemade chicken soup. Y
    Glad you're drinking. You won't be hungry in the beginning, so you will have to force yourself to get the the minimum protein and liquid in. But you can do it! It will make recovery so much easier and quicker.

Pureed food is disgusting. Just find something you can tolerate, like the protein shakes or low fat greek yogurt.