Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Bridget82

why I'm getting VGS

Rate this Entry
When I made up my mind to change it was for my 35th birthday June 9th 2017. I was so lost in the darkness that was my mind. The self doubt and and self loathing consumed me. I got the advice of a very good friend a couple of months later "You've gone on this path before for years, trying to do it by yourself and it doesn't work. Why don't you just go to the seminar to see what it's about what can it hurt.". Which led me to a seminar with the Lovelace Bariatric program. That was the day that changed everything for me. I scheduled my welcome appointment for Sept 1st. I did my weigh-in and took intake pictures we talked about the program and what will be expected of me for the program and for my insurance to cover the procedure. I had to have 6 dietary visits, I was expected to lose at every visit. Each month they changed up my diet so I'd lose at every visit and to prepare me for what I'd be eating after surgery. Over the last 7 months I've stumbled and fell. I've cried and wanted to quit. I kept at it, I lost at every visit some visits it was more than others but I still lost that's all that mattered. I needed to lose 10% of my weight. I knew I couldn't quit, I had to see this through to the end. At the seminar Dr V told us only 31% will make it to surgery. I knew I had to be part of the 31%. Dr. V's program isn't like a normal bariatric program. You don't just go in get the surgery then they are done with you. They educated, they support, they are a family. I need to be part of the sleeve family. I"m here now 7mts later in my pre op protein drink only phase. Anyone that says gastric surgery is the easy way out, has never been on and 800 calorie a day of liquids only diet while their family gets to eat all the junk they want to. This decision has been the best one I've made for my health in my whole life. I have no shame in getting the gastric sleeve, I know it's not the be all end all to my weight journey. It's a weapon to have in my arsonal in my life long weight battle, along with the education and support I'm learning along the way. My surgery date has been set for April 23rd, 2018. I can't wait to be on the other side with the rest of my sleeve family.

Height: 5'0"

Highest: 315 size very tight 28

Intake: 309.8

Current: 273.2 size 24 (04/12/18)

Diabetes: incontrol (not currently taking any meds while in the opti fast phase)

Submit "why I'm getting VGS" to Digg Submit "why I'm getting VGS" to del.icio.us Submit "why I'm getting VGS" to StumbleUpon Submit "why I'm getting VGS" to Google

Comments

Way to go Bridget!! You definitely have the right mind set to succeed!! Wishing you a wonderful surgery and speedy recovery. Reach out when you need advice or support. The more active you are on here the more you will get out of this site. So glad to have you.
    CONGRATS BRIDGET... YOU ARE GOING TO DO GREAT :-)
    " It's a weapon to have in my arsonal in my life long weight battle, along with the education and support I'm learning along the way."

I love your spirit to fight this battle!! You're one weekend away to the big day! Wish you great success...you're on your way already. I'll be two weeks behind you for my surgery date.

Cheers to getting to the other side!!
    Not long to go now. I hope all goes well and that are soon on the road to recovery and a new life. Keep us posted on your progress and please ask if you have any questions. There are a lot of wonderful people on this forum who are only too willing to share their experiences.
    What a wonderful share! I understand your feelings totally, having been there. My VGS (and I'm 65) and 6 months out) changed my life because it changed my health. Energy, activity, interests...and of course, being a different shape is nice.

Just keep posting!
    Thanks for sharing your story!! You won’t regret your decision. The only regret you will have is, “why didn’t I do this sooner”!! I watched my brother on this very journey for almost two years before I got the guts to go through it for myself. I’m about 6.5 weeks post op and I’m down 34 pounds!!!

Today was the day!!! Yay, how did things go for you?
    Congratulations Bridget! Thanks for sharing your story. How are you doing? We are all here to support you.
    Sending you blessings and support!!! You are well on your way to a healthy life! I am only one month post op and am very happy I had the procedure. The forum is the best - the folks are so kind, giving, and helpful and there is so much "real" info here. Wishing you the best!