Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Jesslyn235

Question- Introduction of soft food

Rate this Entry
Hi Everyone,
I am 2 weeks post op today; not sure when I am supposed to add more solid foods and not sure what these should be. Last week was a difficult week as my hormones took over and I know I was eating things I shouldn’t have been. Please help.

Submit "Question- Introduction of soft food" to Digg Submit "Question- Introduction of soft food" to del.icio.us Submit "Question- Introduction of soft food" to StumbleUpon Submit "Question- Introduction of soft food" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Every practice is different. Most give pretty strict guidelines for when you can introduce pureed foods and soft solids and a list of what is acceptable. If you didn't receive this from your doctor's office you should ask for it. At 2 weeks I was just moving in to pureed foods. No solids of any kind. You need to be very careful in the first few weeks since your stomach is still healing.
    Jesslyn, I think the two of us had our operations on the same day. I'm trying this migration too, and it's been fun. I was told for soft foods that things like finely diced chicken, lunch meat, etc could be eaten in small amounts, but every time I've tried it's been a two way street. So for now I've retreated to an all liquid diet till my stomach and I develop a happier relationship. Only real exception I've had is a scrambled egg (actually, 8/10th of a scrambled egg) has worked.

I think DHB has a point about being real careful about VERY soft foods, one that I've proven through trial and error. Going to take a bit to get back in the saddle. Now if I could just loose some more weight! (I dropped 31 lbs from the mandatory liquid phase through end of week 1 post op, but have been stuck since!).

I hope you're feeling better this week. Don't be too hard on yourself on the hormone front. I know I've been a sea of different emotions through this thing, and I'm really tired of having to approach each meal like a bomb defusal. In the long run, I know this is going to work great, but in the short term, yech!
    I had liquids for 2 weeks, soft/pureed for 2 weeks, and then on to solids. But as Dale stated it depends on your surgeon's office. As for eating things you shouldn't, now is the time to forge good, healthy eating habits. You can eat around your sleeve if you don't follow the rules. You didn't go through all this to not have it work, did you? I know hormones can get the best of us. Good luck to you.
    Yeah I had the same as Christie, 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks soft/purreed and then solids. You do need to take it easy on your stomach initially. I don't understand why you haven't got a very clear guide from your surgeons office?? You cant guess this stuff, yikes!!!
    At your stage I want onto tuna in a bit of yogurt to make it soft, refried beans, cottage cheese, that kind of thing but I could only eat a tiny bit. Maybe get back in touch with your practice Jessalyn and get some good advice. If you don't know then that is going to get you in a hot mess and we don't want that :-)
    Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the feed back. I’m still doing liquids but have added a yogurt or a creamy soup in the middle of the day to mix it up some. Yesterday I puréed some chilli, only had a few spoons of it but wow it was good...lol Will let my body guide me in the right direction.
    You'll get it Jessalyn, did you get a list from your doc on what to eat? Its a big old learning curve x
    FWIW, as the week has gone by I'm finding it easier to gage how much I can eat without blow back and it's gotten easier for me. My magic numbers seem to be 1/4 cup of solids, or 3 ozs weight, whichever is smaller. Still best with softer items, like beans, chili, chicken salad. Liquids when consumed slowly are not an issue now, even water which was a bear in the first week. Hope you're seeing similar success, it's a process not a sprint. Main thing is things that were a problem earlier do get better over time.