Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

elllie

pre op diet and weight loss

Rate this Entry
HI! I have now been on my pre surgery diet for 2 days and it is going well. I am not hungry thank goodness. I have already lost 2kg and am starting to wonder if I just followed this restrictive diet I could continue to lose weight without having the surgery. Did anyone else have these feelings during the pre surgery diet?

Submit "pre op diet and weight loss" to Digg Submit "pre op diet and weight loss" to del.icio.us Submit "pre op diet and weight loss" to StumbleUpon Submit "pre op diet and weight loss" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Yes, it was quite tempting. But the pre op diet is difficult to sustain (IMHO) for long term, and without bariatric medical supervision, probably not a good idea.

For me, knowing I've gained and lost weight over the years, and I wanted better health going forward, I didn't think about it very long.
    Haha. A lot of people feel that way. But there is a reason why we got here in the first place. If it was that easy, we would all be thin.
    ^^^ what she said ;-)
    OMG, I totally felt the same way. I am realizing now that it is the same as every other diet though as you hit walls with it as well.
    thanks for all the advice and support. I agree with everyone's sentiment. Now that I am on day 3 and actually quite enjoying what I am eating, I do not think I would be able to be this strict if it was not for a specific purpose. I had my bloods done today and I just hope all is well. The day is getting closer.
    By day 7 on the preoperative diet I was looking at the Walmart grocery app reading about frozen salmon and dreaming about juicy beef brisket. I pretty much reached the breaking point. I'd done several medically supervised diets and lost 50 plus pounds, and kept it off for up to a year, but it kept coming back. For significant obesity, diet and exercise don't have a particularly high success rate over a 2 - 3plus year period. Best wishes for a good surgery and recovery!
    I am one week into the pre op diet and had similar thoughts. I told my husband I could do this for a long time, he reminded me that I am very good at dieting but fail miserably with maintaining and keeping it off. This tool is what we need to succeed and maintain for life. That is what I am shooting for!
    I don't have a surgery date, but I feel the exact same way.

I'm reading stories about how much people had to lose before they could get surgery. And I was "my 600 lb life" and those folks have to lose 50-150 pounds before surgery to qualify. And I think - they did this all without surgery - why not just keep going.

I've got a new plan for me. I'm still meeting w/ the psycologist this week. And the surgeon. And the bariatric nutritionist in two weeks.
    And I'm meeting with my primary doc soon too. He's offered to help me from a nutrition standpoint when I was ready.

And I've downloaded and pay for the premium Lose-It! App. I'm logging EVERYTHING. I think I owe it to myself to try one last time on this path. I've done WW, Nutrisystem, NaturallySlim, etc. And I've always been successful, until I gained it back. I want to try this time but under complete doctor supervision. My biggest success was with Weight Watchers, but I also learned to eat large portions with few calories and I never paid attention to carbs or protein. I'm going at this again with a focus on High Protein and fewer carbs - unless my docs say something else.

I'm not ruling out surgery, but I want to try for a month and see how I fare. And if I do well, try for another month. And another. And if I fail on my own, I think I will opt for surgery.

This is my LAST effort to avoid surgery. I'm not scared of surgery. I'm not positive I can do it on my own without the surgical 'tool', but I think I owe it to myself to try - one last time.
    Yes, Yes, and Yes. Even when I was on the table as they wheeled me into the Operating Room I was thinking well...I lost 30 pounds on my own since January why can I do this myself. Needless to say I have been trying to do it on my own since about 10 years old. I am two weeks out today from surgery and am confident the surgery was the right thing to do for my health. We are all different with different paths to where we are today. Just know those thoughts are very normal. Best of luck to you!
    I met with the psycologist today and was cleared for surgery. Still need to meet with the nutrionist in a few weeks. I'm doing great on my do-it-myself diet, but...

My wife is at a meeting tonight at a Mexican restaurant. I was invited, but I chose to stay home, so I wouldn't be tempted. I can't go to a restaurant without worrying about over eating.

And I was thinking - why am I so intent on avoiding surgery? Yes, the pre-op diet is bad but folks survive that all the time. I can to. And I thought - is it because I want to still be able to go out to eat once in awhile and have what I want? I don't know, but I know the temptation is there tonight and it'll likely be there in the future. I've done a great job of losing weight in the past. I know if I try it on my own, i'll be successful. But what next? Do I wait until I'm 55 (i'm 48 now) to have the surgery? Will i be in worse health? Will my regret be "I wish I hadn't waited?

I'm certain my feelings are normal. I was 50/50 on the surgery. I'm 80/20 on getting it now.
    I have also waivered on this for years. I am determined this time to put my fears aside and finally do this. I have started the process and made all of my appointments, the journey to a surgery date will take 3 - 4 months and I tell myself that I can chicken out anytime until they put me under. I think most of us who choose to do this have had some success on other plans but it is the long term tool that will help us keep the weight off and help us to make sustainable life changes.
    Would you want to follow that pre-op diet for life? I know I wouldn't! I enjoy eating regular food and being a regular person.