Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

DevanChristopher

Lets Talk about HAIR baby!

Rate this Entry

So, I'm 40 and overweight, but I have been blessed with a thick head of hair. I am scheduled for Gastric Sleeve surgery 4/06/2018. I've know thinning hair is a possibility due to rapid weight loss.

Is this true? Is it permanent? Do you take supplements? Should I purchase a hair piece? LOL

Thanks! Take Care!

Submit "Lets Talk about HAIR baby!" to Digg Submit "Lets Talk about HAIR baby!" to del.icio.us Submit "Lets Talk about HAIR baby!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Lets Talk about HAIR baby!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm at 3.5 months and I would say I'm "shedding" more than usual but it's not like I'm going bald. It's noticeable to me because I have longish hair and I'm needing to brush it off my clothes. I started taking Biotin pre-sleeve & still take it. Some people swear it helps, others say it's useless. I take it just in case. Also I'm a "slow loser" so apparently that often means less hair loss than those who drop a huge amount quickly. You might want to search "hair loss" in the top bar. There have been several discussions about it. Don't worry. It's worth it.
    You will be fine, especially if you have thick hair. I haven't heard of anyone going bald, and I've been here for 5 years. No hair pieces will be necessary!

The only way I can tell I've lost hair is I have some short baby pieces I see growing back in at my part.
    I don't think I've had much hair fall and im 4.5 months out so I probs shouldn't speak too soon!!!!
    I have extremely thick hair and did not begin losing it until about 6 mos. post sleeve surgery. I lost a lot and it was noticeable. That being said, I was not taking my supplements as prescribed by my doctor. I am on the supplements and my loss has stopped and my hair is gradually beginning to thicken up again. During this time, I just had my hair layered and wore it scrunched since I have naturally wavy/curly hair. I was flat-ironing. Stopped heat styling after I began to lose hair. Figured it did not help with the matter. I have now began using styling tools again, but my hair is still not as thick as it once was. It's getting there. Don't worry, hair will grow back!!! These were just some suggestions I have on how to cope with the loss. Good luck on your journey. It was the BEST decision I ever made for myself.
    I had/have thick hair. I knew I was losing as there was a lot of hair in the bathroom - but although my hair thinned out a bit it wasn't noticeable. I didn't start losing until about month 2 and it only lasted for a couple for months.
    All will be good - don't worry.
    I lost quite a bit of hair but never looked bald or anything. I am still losing. But I do take 10,000 mcg or biotin daily to help counteract it. About 40% of people will lose hair. It will eventually slow or stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    You will be fine, especially if you have thick hair. I haven't heard of anyone going bald, and I've been here for 5 years. No hair pieces will be necessary!

The only way I can tell I've lost hair is I have some short baby pieces I see growing back in at my part.
    I had lost a bit but suddenly between Friday and Monday, almost my entire crown is pink and showing. I was devastated.

That said, 1) it will grow back; 2) I had a hard time taking the vitamins post-surgery; 3) I had chemo 3 different times for 3 cancers and lost my hair before and 4) I required a 2nd surgery (stressor) and 2 units of blood after my VGS.

I also had a 7+ year old wig stashed away, watched YouTubes on how to thin it a bit since styles have changed, and ordered two more. I am sad, but it's okay.
    I agree with all of the above. I am about 5 months out and am losing more hair than normal but it's only really noticeable to me. I am taking biotin too just in case.
    I am a bit worried about this too, but hang in there... I have decided that if mine falls out a lot I'm going to look for a Dolly Parton wig and just be fabulous for awhile. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle_mom
    I have extremely thick hair and did not begin losing it until about 6 mos. post sleeve surgery. I lost a lot and it was noticeable. That being said, I was not taking my supplements as prescribed by my doctor. I am on the supplements and my loss has stopped and my hair is gradually beginning to thicken up again. During this time, I just had my hair layered and wore it scrunched since I have naturally wavy/curly hair. I was flat-ironing. Stopped heat styling after I began to lose hair. Figured it did not help with the matter. I have now began using styling tools again, but my hair is still not as thick as it once was. It's getting there. Don't worry, hair will grow back!!! These were just some suggestions I have on how to cope with the loss. Good luck on your journey. It was the BEST decision I ever made for myself.

Which supplements were you not taking?
    Quote Originally Posted by mara
    Which supplements were you not taking?
    So all supplements are important post sleeve because we have issues meeting all our requirements from food alone. The more nutrients you are getting from food and your vitamins the less likely you are to have hair loss issues. Most people simply cannot get the nutrients from food alone. Most recommended supplements post sleeve are B12, D3, Calcium Citrate, Multi-vitamin (with Iron), and Biotin. Most common deficiencies post sleeve are B12, Calcium, Iron, and Thiamine.

PS-Please note that it is important that we choose Calcium Citrate and not Calcium Carbonate. Has something to do with how we absorb it.