Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Becky1211

the WANT to eat

Rate this Entry
Hi everyone,
I had the gastric sleeve 9 days ago. I am on the full liquid diet still, which is just protein shakes, cream soup, etc. I can't seem to stop wanting to eat something more, even though I'm not hungry. Is this normal? Any suggestions on how I can better control this craving?

Submit "the WANT to eat" to Digg Submit "the WANT to eat" to del.icio.us Submit "the WANT to eat" to StumbleUpon Submit "the WANT to eat" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi Becky, It's a funny old time that first couple of weeks. I remember feeling hungry then as soon as I went onto soft or mashed foods everything changed. I was full in a couple of mouthfuls. This stage passes quickly. Have as much soup etc as you need, I was like a baby eating every 2 hours, I could never space it out!
    I was sleeved on the 12th, and am on full liquids until the 26th. I haven't felt physically hungry yet. A couple times I've gotten head hunger but going for a walk or finding something to do gets me through it. I do have dreams about eating solid foods and feel panic'd that I am going to mess up my healing. I am very relieved when I wake up. The instant regret I feel in those dreams scares me into not being hungry haha.
    Yes, this is normal.
    Your stomach is in the healing stage.
    It is still very traumatized and is sending al kinds of desperate signals.
    This "hunger" you are experience is in fact thirst.
    Try to find something to drink, that is filling.
    Maybe tomato juice or V8 juice, if that is allowed.
    This stage will pass.
    Hang in there.
    I am not saying it is normal, but I did experience the same thing. However, I found when I did have a shake or some other liquid to cure the crave, my stomach let me know who was in charge and was not able to consume very much of it.
    Remember that all liquids move quickly through your new sleeve. As swollen as it is, it still doesn't hold onto liquids, since those just dribble out the bottom duodenal valve into your intestine.

You'll be eating real food soon. Just hang on.
    Thank you for the support everyone. I think it was a mind over matter issue. Although I didn't really feel hungry, my mind wanted me to eat. The mind over matter issue is real! I am now in the soft foods stage, so I am excited to eat cottage cheese! I guess it's the little things! I am so glad to be part of this group...
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky1211
    Thank you for the support everyone. I think it was a mind over matter issue. Although I didn't really feel hungry, my mind wanted me to eat. The mind over matter issue is real! I am now in the soft foods stage, so I am excited to eat cottage cheese! I guess it's the little things! I am so glad to be part of this group...
    I was so crazy about cottage cheese LOL :-)
    Yup. I felt better when I started on soft foods.