Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

misshaunt

Soul Searching for a RE-start......

Rate this Entry
Let me first say that I exceeded my surgery goals 4 years ago. I was the picture perfect model (on how it should be done) and was asked to go speak at the meetings. After about 2 yrs I went to my doctor and told him that I all the sudden can eat a plate of food before feeling full. What is going on? Why isn't my "tool" working anymore? At that point, I had regained 30 lbs. And yes, I was still following a high protein low/no carb diet and exercising 2-3 days a week (just not as hard/long). He said, "I should be able to eat a plate of food." Wasn't what I wanted to hear. I also confessed to drinking carbonated beverages once in a while (1-2 per week). He did an upper GI so he could see how bad my sleeve had stretched and he said some but nothing really to be concerned with. Now understand I told him make it as tight as you can. I was one that commented, there is "NO WAY" to over eat. I don't understand how you could regain. WELL.....I have and from my lowest weight am not back at 203. "Onederland" where did you go?????

I found myself not exercising (that became my addiction vs food) and I simply became lazy and out of touch with me.

I am PISSED that I allowed myself to go back this far. I question the surgeries long term help. I have read from many people this happens around 2 years out. I was so careful, but not careful enough. Old habits die hard, or not at all. It creeps up on you and at the 30 lbs gain I went back to my surgeon for help and asking why. It continues. But.....NO MORE. Monday, I am starting a two week reset. I spoke to my general Dr and he agreed that I should try it. I asked if there was any way to re-shrink my sleeve. He said, this is the way, but it will never go back to what it once was.

I am here to document my journey and struggles that life is real and my weight will always be my battle. Has anyone else here had this same issue and can lend tips to losing this unwanted weight again? There is no one that can be harder on me, than me. I spend 9500.00 in a breast lift and skin removal from my arms. All to screw it up with MY bad behaviors. Time to become selfish and find my happy weight again.

Submit "Soul Searching for a RE-start......" to Digg Submit "Soul Searching for a RE-start......" to del.icio.us Submit "Soul Searching for a RE-start......" to StumbleUpon Submit "Soul Searching for a RE-start......" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hello,
    You are back on the right track now! Be proud of yourself for realizing it and doing something about it. I am in the process of getting approved for the sleeve. The doc asked if I wanted to do the bypass. I asked why and he advised there is data that suggests at the 2 year mark people tend to gain their weight back and with the bypass you keep the weight off but can have an issue with dumping. I also have an issue from time to time with acid reflux. So you stomach stretched out from eating more food than you should? Are you supposed to eat specific amounts of food and not go over that amount? Is it a mental hunger vs. a stomach hunger? I'm thinking that maybe I should also be going to therapy to deal with "mental hunger" issues and see if I can improve my relationship with food. Hang in there! You can do it!
    Marsh17 is spot on -- look what you figured out and you've made a great decision and you have the tools to get back where you want to be.

I can see substituting exercise as food addition, although I'm pretty sure I'm not in danger of doing that, lol.

I've found, besides the support here, that keeping a journal helps me to see where my thoughts were when I run into an issue. (I use initials for people, or symbols because privacy).

Relationships with food are complex, and my genuine thought is, as a mental health professonal, that there may well be some trauma in most of our backgrounds that was a precipitating issue for the food as comfort.

I'm only 5 months out (next week) so can't speak to long term, but for me I have to weigh every day and yes, the number fluctuation is still feeling like a pass/fail test. But the pattern helps me see what's normal and what's the SkinnyPop popcorn I tried.

Annie
    Just a question: do you or did you still weigh and measure your food before putting it on your plate?
    Or did you never do that?
    No judgement or insult intended, I just want to learn.
    I am doing a lot of reaseach about this whole "stretching the sleeve" subject.
    I am terrified for that.
    misshaunt, I'm sorry you've regained 30 pounds. However, a 30 pound regain is not the end of the world. I've seen people who've gained that much and more who get back to their goal.

HOWEVER, I want to be very clear with you that regaining weight post-sleeve is NOT a given. But maintaining our weight long-term requires that we completely and permanently change our lifestyle. Those changes aren't for a season or a year, but forever.

I am speaking from experience, since I haven't gained any weight since losing over 100 pounds (I was sleeved in August 2014). I know what has worked for me. If you wish, you can read about my WLS journey at:

First Surgiversary Post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

There are also some recent threads on this topic posted here.

One final thought -- life's stresses never, ever, ever end. They certainly have not ended for me, nor do I expect they ever will. If you are still using food to numb your feelz it's therapy time. I mean that.

You can do this. But you have to want it and commit to it. Just like you did in the beginning.

Very, very best wishes to you!
    I've read all these and I'm in the same situation. I'm just about to hit year 3 surgiversary and I've regained 10 pounds and I'm fighting to lose those ten. See my blog - Romandona. Let me know your thoughts. I started 310 and lost 104 pounds but was still slightly over 200. I've wanted to get to onederland as my BMI still says I'm obese. I go back to my dr end of March and I really want to get under 200 pounds and feel if I can break that barrier I can go for the rest I want to lose. I'm back to protein shakes and logging all my food and also moving more again. I would appreciate any and all comments to let me know what your thoughts are and I do NOT want to regain the weight I lost and I plan to fight tooth and nail against it. I live in the Buffalo NY area and our winter was horrible and I did vegitate alot due to weather - now things are brightening up and am planning on moving more - walks, etc. Let's fight the good fight and win!! Thanks for listening and feel free to comment - PLease, I would appreciate it. Romandona
    Hi Romandona, So great to hear of your success. I'm just about to embark on this and hoping for the best. Glad to hear your sincerity in your struggle and realize it won't be an overnite fix. We have started to go to warmer climate instead of the cold winters in MT where we get into the recliner rut... Sure is helpful to keep me moving. Any chance of a mini vacation to break your current plateau? Just a thought, but maybe not financially feasible... Lindy
    Mine is a combo of both hungers. I own 3 businesses and the stress is unreal. But, at my 2 year mark when I caught the fact that I could "eat more and not feel full" I was exercising, etc. So my stress level was much lower. I am reading it a lot of support sites that many people are having my same issue. Wish I could get my sleeve tightened again. But to have the same thing happen, wouldn't resolve the issue. So it's down to mental awareness and accountability for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh17
    Hello,
    You are back on the right track now! Be proud of yourself for realizing it and doing something about it. I am in the process of getting approved for the sleeve. The doc asked if I wanted to do the bypass. I asked why and he advised there is data that suggests at the 2 year mark people tend to gain their weight back and with the bypass you keep the weight off but can have an issue with dumping. I also have an issue from time to time with acid reflux. So you stomach stretched out from eating more food than you should? Are you supposed to eat specific amounts of food and not go over that amount? Is it a mental hunger vs. a stomach hunger? I'm thinking that maybe I should also be going to therapy to deal with "mental hunger" issues and see if I can improve my relationship with food. Hang in there! You can do it!
    Never weighted my food. Wasn't really instructed to do that. In the first year, eating an egg was not easy. I typically didn't eat more than I could hold in my hand. That was between 1-1.5 years out. I logged all my food intake. And just started again. I typically went by grams of protein. I was instructed to eat between 60-100 per day. I found that about 2 days a week, I could eat more than 60 just because I was still full from the day before.

Although I take full responsibility for my laziness in both exercise and eating habits, I can't help but notice the tool seems to have worn out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve
    Just a question: do you or did you still weigh and measure your food before putting it on your plate?
    I am terrified for that.
    Thank you and agree. There is of course a lot more to this than just eating, regaining, exercising, taking it off, etc. I certainly am accountable for my laziness in both departments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    misshaunt, I'm sorry you've regained 30 pounds. However, a 30 pound regain is not the end of the world. I've seen people who've gained that much and more who get back to their goal.

HOWEVER, I want to be very clear with you that regaining weight post-sleeve is NOT a given. But maintaining our weight long-term requires that we completely and permanently change our lifestyle. Those changes aren't for a season or a year, but forever.

I am speaking from experience, since I haven't gained any weight since losing over 100 pounds (I was sleeved in August 2014). I know what has worked for me. If you wish, you can read about my WLS journey at:

First Surgiversary Post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

There are also some recent threads on this topic posted here.

One final thought -- life's stresses never, ever, ever end. They certainly have not ended for me, nor do I expect they ever will. If you are still using food to numb your feelz it's therapy time. I mean that.

You can do this. But you have to want it and commit to it. Just like you did in the beginning.

Very, very best wishes to you!
    I'm from PA so I feel your pain on the weather. I have just found that if I don't eat under 850 calories a day, I don't lose. And I wish I would not have blown it off at 10 lbs. Stay focused and find your groove again. You can do. You did it once. Sometimes we slip, just don't go back to laziness like I did. Now I kicked my ass back into gear as of Sunday, so I will watch the scale reduce in weight. Glass is half full, not empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Romandona
    I've read all these and I'm in the same situation. I'm just about to hit year 3 surgiversary and I've regained 10 pounds and I'm fighting to lose those ten. See my blog - Romandona. Let me know your thoughts. I started 310 and lost 104 pounds but was still slightly over 200. I've wanted to get to onederland as my BMI still says I'm obese. I go back to my dr end of March and I really want to get under 200 pounds and feel if I can break that barrier I can go for the rest I want to lose. I'm back to protein shakes and logging all my food and also moving more again. I would appreciate any and all comments to let me know what your thoughts are and I do NOT want to regain the weight I lost and I plan to fight tooth and nail against it. I live in the Buffalo NY area and our winter was horrible and I did vegitate alot due to weather - now things are brightening up and am planning on moving more - walks, etc. Let's fight the good fight and win!! Thanks for listening and feel free to comment - PLease, I would appreciate it. Romandona
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsh17
    Hello,
    You are so wise to get some help for your mental hunger. I'm 2 months post op and already struggling with wanting to eat bad things over my mental food issues. Best of luck to you Marsh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve
    I am terrified for that.
    ME TOO!!!
    At least you are getting back on track now. I have a 5 lb buffer. If I hit 5 lbs above the weight I know I have to do something ASAP. I weigh myself every morning and night. I have no more fat clothes. Everything fits like a glove. The things that were slightly big from my journey down the scale I got rid of already. If I regain, I don't have any back up clothes and I am NOT going to buy any. I think weighing daily is your best friend.
    I am having the same issues. I lost 65 lbs in 6 months starting my journey at 260 and ended up pregnant. I regained all my weight I lost in that 6 months during pregnancy. I was so heart broken. A year later I started pulling the weight off and got back down to 222. Still not what I started at before pregnancy but better than what it was. Ended up pregnant for a 2 time and gained 10 lbs during this pregnancy. My son is almost 4 months old and I'm down to 207 but seem stuck their. I've been looking at a sleeve reset. I'm not happy at all that I gained any weight and I'm very hard on myself. I am not working out like I use to. Just haven't found the time yet with 2 little ones. So I'm feeling very lazy. My end goal is 125, but I'm looking at Short term goal of 150 to try and make the weight loss not seem so far away. I did move to a new place and I'm looking for a doctor to continue my sleeve care and check ups. Would welcome talking with others on how they are doing the reset and supporting each other on our new adventure of regaining our control and self's back.
    I am 5 years out and 70 years old. Started at 250....goal was 125-109. Got down to 165 and then ballooned up to 205 again. I am on a SLOW remake. Down to 190 in 4 months of trying. Now I am taking one item a week to change. I can only eat between 850-1000 c to lose and was down to 600c when I started suffering malnutrition symptoms (especially since even those were not good calories). Taking one thing a week and adding a non-professional support group seems to be helping. My small stomach is still intact pretty much and I stop eating when I can “feel” food hitting it. If I don’t I am miserable and will also get the hiccups The main thing for me is to keeping trying. The smaller I am the better I feel. So that is what motivates me. I really do want to feel better as I age not worse
    So an update on my steps to recover myself from the miserable cravings of white anything!

3 weeks ago I was up to 206. Yicks! I have tried a pouch reset and really didn't do much for me. I am faithfully logging my food and eating around 80g of protein a day. Soda (gave up for Lent) and want no part of it. I even have it in the house and don't have that "must have" thought.

I am hiking every day (which is absolutely miserable since my brain says run and with an extra 50 lbs, feels like you have concrete blocks on your feet LOL), cut my carbs to between 20-30 g a day, doing a high protein resulted in down to 200 this morning.

I have been struggling with the fact that I feel I should have lost 6 lbs the first week, 4 the 2nd, and 3 the 3rd, but happy to see it dropping slowly but surely. I did find another support group on FB for people who have regained. They recommend the Bariatric Keto diet. It does not consist of shakes and bars to increase protein, but real foods. It's rather interesting what they say to do and what you need. Going to start that reset in the next few days to see if it helps kickstart a "bigger/faster drop" in the scale. Throwing your body into Ketosis burns fat quicker.

Thank you all for your support. This is a battle we face no matter if it's the beginning or end of our journey. Staying positive is the key to success.
    Have you guys all watched DR V on Youtube hes pretty brutally honest with what you need to do with Gastric Sleeve the good the bad and what to do to maintain. I found him to be really helpful and stop lying myself its failing no ITS me puts the junk in my mouth lol.. I also went ahead and ordered his book on amazon. I need to get back to it and loosing the 20lbs I gained.