Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sweetpea903

Dude, Are You Serious???

Rate this Entry
So this past week I’ve been transitioning from purées to soft foods, with the addition of well-chewed meat.

According to The Binder (provided by my surgeon), I should be eating certain foods in specific quantities.

For example, for breakfast I can have 1/4 cup of applesauce and 1/4 cup of cottage cheese.

Then a mid-morning protein shake.

Then lunch, which is 1/4 cup of protein (or one scrambled egg) and 1/4 cup of banana.

Then a mid-afternoon protein shake.

And for dinner, 1/4 cubed chicken and 1/4 cup mashed boiled potato.

Ladies and gentleman, these items (and the other viable options provided in The Binder), total to a whopping 850 calories, give or take. And while I might be hitting the protein goal of 60 grams per day, I’m not getting enough food.

How did I come to realize this? I followed this plan for 3 days and then started to go into hypoglycemic shock (been there before, I know the signs). So out of fear, I had three pieces of sushi that were handy and while my son made my afternoon protein shake.

Then I called my doctor.

He agreed that anything below 1,200 calories is too low. I should be no higher than 1,500. This is why I haven’t lost weight for a few days. We agreed that i’d add another protein shake and increase my portion sizes slightly to hit that goal.

The lesson here? There are three:

1. Trust your gut (no pun intended). Guidelines are exactly that: GENERAL GUIDELINES. Each of our bodies is different and caloric requirements may vary drastically based on many individual factors.

2. Make sure your “Binder” makes sense. If it sounds wonky, it probably is.

3. Communicate with your doctor. He/she knows YOU and your specific situation and can make adjustments (or refer you to a nutritionist) to make changes.

Today I ate 1,200 calories and I feel SO much better. I’m terrified that I’ll step on the scale and gain 5 lbs because that’s what my MIND is conditioned to think. Normally I would have starved myself for fear of gaining and ended up frustrated when I don’t lose anything. I have to remember to not allow my fear to interfere with The Plan. That fear is what led me to bullimia and misery.

Everything happens for a reason, Guys and Dolls.

Throw out your cookie cutter mentality and remember: You are Somebody. Not just “some body”.

Submit "Dude, Are You Serious???" to Digg Submit "Dude, Are You Serious???" to del.icio.us Submit "Dude, Are You Serious???" to StumbleUpon Submit "Dude, Are You Serious???" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

So glad you got it figured out and are feeling better!
    Good for you, following you. What if you don't like applesauce or cottage cheese? This is not a diet. I was told just to count protein and liquids. I was never told to count calories. Sushi sounds like a great protein source, and much more yummy than applesauce of cottage cheese. Keep up the great work!
    sooo I love watching my 600lb life......and the doc puts a 700lb person into the hospital and puts them on a strick 1,000 calorie diet.
    I've have never heard him put anyone on any less then that.
    I'm watching it now lol.
    Bless your ��. I've had a sugar drop once since sleeve, but am diabetic so knew what to do, although the difficulty was I'd normally have some OJ and then protein. Had to adjust. But that's what we do. Glad your son was there, and doc heard you