Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

KerryPG

Not sure what to title this...

Rate this Entry
I am officially scheduled for surgery for 2/26/18. I have researched myself silly. I have read as many blogs and forums that I could find. I know this journey (journey is such an overused word but I can't think of another) will not be an easy one. Just getting to this point has been a journey in of itself. The only person that knows I am having the Gastric Sleeve surgery is my husband. The scale and I are not friends. So I am not sure what I weigh at the moment. I know I weigh more now than I ever have. Even when I delivered my youngest child, who just turned 15 last month... I will weigh the day of my surgery. The last time I weighed was last month. I was 205. I am 5'3''. I hope to get down to 125. I would be fine at 140 though. I need to do this for my health. I had a sleep study done and I have sleep apnea. My cholesterol is high and I hope to be able to get that down. I will be 50 in September and I feel 100 years old some days. I am a bit scared. It feels so drastic. I get down on myself sometimes and think "why can't I lose this weight with diet and exercise'? I did 3 rounds of the injectable HCG several years ago and I swear that screwed up my metabolism. I am going to document my experience mainly to hold myself accountable and so that I can see and read my progress and the ups and downs and hopefully help someone along the way. Buckle up!

Submit "Not sure what to title this..." to Digg Submit "Not sure what to title this..." to del.icio.us Submit "Not sure what to title this..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Not sure what to title this..." to Google

Comments

Best wishes to you. Keep reading. The learning never ends.
    I'm also 5'3", started around 217, and hit my goal weight of 140 after 10 months. Stayed there for about 3 years. This winter I decided I want to try for 130, I'm now 136.

But even at 140 I look like a regular-sized person. My cholesterol didn't go down, it runs in my family. (Tried with no meds for three months after surgery and it went sky high again.)

Good luck, I think you will find this journey fun! I really did! What's more fun than watching the weight fall off?
    I could have written this post word for word (including the height and weight)! I too did several rounds of HCG and lamented my inability to stick to a diet and exercise regimen. I had my procedure on January 11th if this year and am down to 176 as of this morning (I had complications, so don’t expect to lose that much in the first month).

Are you having the laparoscopic, or endoscopic procedure?
    I am having the laparoscopic procedure.
    HI Kerry. I am having my surgery in April. Like you, I have not told anyone other than my husband and children. I am 51 and like you have ups and downs, I too am at my heaviest and hate myself and my body. I do not ever look in the mirror as I can't bear what I see. I have tried all sorts to lose weight and I lose a few kilograms and then put double back on. I do think that that the sleeve is a drastic measure but it is the only thing that will set me on the correct path. Hopefully the sleeve will be the tool that will allow me to get my life back. I intend to keep a blog too as I am finding this forum very helpful. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress.
    I have debated on whether or not to tell my kids. I will obviously have to tell them "something". I am not sure I can articulate it accurately as to why I am going this route. There is a bit of shame I feel too. My kids are 16 (almost 17) and 15 years old. So they are mature enough to understand the procedure itself. As long as I can remember, I have been "watching my weight" and I am trying to change that self dialogue to "getting healthy". So I am thinking about approaching that conversation in that manner with them. I too avoid the mirror and the lens of a camera at all cost. I don't want my kids to look back at pictures and wonder where Mom was. For now, I have decided not to tell my family. They live in another state and I haven't seen them in a while so I don't think the weigh loss will even register with them. As for telling my friends, I have acquaintances. I am hopeful they will just think I am watching what and how much I eat . I am glad I found this forum.
    Hi Kerry
    I didn't tell anyone other than my partner and a friend (who's daughter had the same surgery 18 months before me) that I was having the surgery. Afterwards, when I knew that all was ok with the actual operation, I told my 3 best friends. I was nervous about people's reactions but they were, of course very, supportive - they are my besties after all! I have since felt comfortable enough to tell another small group of friends but I have not told anyone at work or my extended family and I don't intend to. While most I'm sure would be supportive I have heard some comments about other people having wls and some of the comments have been very unhelpful - to say the least. People have commented on my weight loss and I have just said that I am eating much smaller meals and exercising more - both of which are true.
    Having said all that, deciding to be sleeved is the best decision I have ever made. I am 100% glad that I have done this and have no regrets at all.
    All the best for your surgery!
    Very best of luck Kerry, you will be so pleased with your results :-)
    Good luck to you Kerry. I know it seems drastic but it was literally life changing for me. I do not have any regrets other than not doing it sooner.
    Kerry, please feel no shame. Obesity is more than just eating too much, it's very medically involved, metabolic disorders have lots to do with obesity. Why is it some people can eat so much and never gain weight, are they ashamed that they eat lots of food; I think not in some cases. Why can someone else eat 2 or 3 extra carbs and gain 4 pounds...
    You are really brave to choose bariatric surgery as an option to a better lifestyle, and try to change all the "shame game" behavior as it won't help you along the journey.

We are what we tell ourselves we are and self-talk, whether positive or negative, is very powerful. This tool not only allows us to lose weight, but to revaluate what we think about ourselves. Take a breath and concentrate on making it work for you and it will!

Continued success and welcome to the "Losers' Bench"!
    I told everyone about surgery and I was fortunate to receive support from everyone. Please document your journey whether you do it privately or publicly like I did on my blog (Downthescale). You'll be amazed by the things you learn and accomplish! Best wishes!