Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

elllie

telling friends

Rate this Entry
HI! I am having my sleeve done in April and have decided not to say anything to anyone at the moment. I was also not sure if I would say anything afterwards and after an incident yesterday I am not sure I would want to say anything at all. I was at a friends house and she mentioned another friend who had a bypass to lose weight. She then said anyone can have staples to lose wight. it came across as quite nasty and i was quite upset because I know the other person and she struggled with her weight and other problems and I get why she did what she did. i just stayed quiet and said nothing. Now i don't want to tell anyone at all, except immediate family members. I would like to know what others told people about their weight loss and also what peoples reactions were.
thanks!

Submit "telling friends" to Digg Submit "telling friends" to del.icio.us Submit "telling friends" to StumbleUpon Submit "telling friends" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm over 4 years out and my advice is don't tell anyone except your immediate support group, be that a spouse, parent, whatever. Besides my immediate family I only told my 2 best friends and one of them blabbed. Imagine my surprise at a dinner function when someone I hardly knew started asking about my surgery. Then I started to hear, "I know such-and-such who had weight loss surgery and gained back every pound." I was positive my whole journey, and had no room for someone's negativity. By the way, I lost my weight and haven't regained a pound.

Now after 4 years I really don't care, but in the beginning it was hurtful.
    I didn't tell anyone but, my Mother told my best friends mother.. who told her entire family..

They greeted me at a family cookout with "WOW.. The SURGERY WORKS!!" . I wasn't ready for that. And wish I didn't even tell dear old mom.

If you are like me and can't handle that, keep it as close as you can. Best wishes!
    I told my family and a few close friends. They have been supportive but I feel like they're now looking at me wondering why I haven't lost more. I won't tell anyone else. The fact is this surgery just makes it possible for you to eat carefully. You are still doing the "work" although it isn't as hard as it was. And you'll have to exercise. Now if anyone asks I tell them I eat smaller portions of high-protein foods and exercise. That's all true. The sleeve has just made it possible for me to do so without gnawing on my arm between meals or eating a huge portion.
    Thanks for all the answers, it has helped me.
    I don't tell. My business. Only my immediate family and a few very close friends know. I have told 2 people since but because I knew they were asking for themselves. They do not live here so it is not like they can blab to anyone. Honestly, when they ask how I lost the weight I say portion control, low carb, and exercise. Not a lie....just a little omission. I say with all the jerks out there...why subject yourself to that?
    I'm the opposite and told everyone. I started my blog Down the Scale, to tell my story, but in turn I received an amazing amount of support.

But I told friends and family as I was pretty sure I would receive the support I needed. For me, it's been a big part of my journey. But if you feel you won't receive support I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping it private. You know you family and friends best.

Best wishes!
    Jen
    Hey y'all I'm scheduled for surgery in June. I'm like Jen I've been at this for so long I told everybody. I've lost over a hundred pounds with just better eating and exercise and my diabetes is still hard to maintain so I know my struggle I plan on creating a YouTube channel and everything to share my journey. I am very excited and I know the struggles that I've had personally so I don't give a hoot about haters! They can kick rocks!!
    I decided not to tell anybody. I don't want to hear the negative comments and I want to be able to surprise people when they haven't seen me in a long while.
    While I am 6 years out nearly not many people remember I used to be fat or there are ones that didn't know me at all back then ... I never hid it before or after. If someone noticed I was losing I said thanks I had the gastric sleeve done. No biggie to me who knew. If anyone had anything negative to say I never heard it and it would have gotten back to me so most anyone that knows me knows my close friends are fierce and would tell them to STFU in a NY minute had they said anything negative. If they did? Phhhhtttt so what? I would just laugh and say "yeah but guess what? I still lost 80 pounds"