Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sweetpea903

Two Steps Forward, Ten Steps Back

Rate this Entry
Hello hello, fellow friends! I know it’s been some time since I’ve posted, but I had a good reason: I’ve been hospitalized for pancreatitis.

Yep, I originally went to the ER on the evening of my surgery date (1/11). I was diagnosed with pancreatitis and they thought it had resolved enough to send me home on the 14th. Sure enough I was okay for a few days, but then started to feel wonky on the 18th.

On the 19th, I begged my primary care doc to give orders for blood works and a CT scan. I got them both done that Friday and went home, only to be contacted by my surgeon and my PCP that I needed to be back in the hospital ASAP.

So, back I went— this time to a hospital I preferred which was a bit further away from the ER I had initially visited.

I spent the next 8 days alternating between pain, frustration, anger, regret and depression. I couldn’t get comfortable, I felt alone (hubby had to care for the kids), and the worst part is that there is NOTHING THAT I COULD DO TO FIX IT. In case you aren’t aware, Pancreatitis can only resolve with time. The pain can be managed, but there is no medication that will fix it.

So the big question remained: What caused the problem to begin with?

The surgeon I was fortunate enough to find at the hospital (Dr. R), happened to be a gastric surgeon. The surgeon who actually performed my procedure (Dr. U), was located two hours away in Illinois. I cannot express how happy and thankful I was that these guys worked together and handled my care seamlessly. No egos, no territorial behavior, no passing the blame. I was VERY lucky and am so grateful.

So here I sit, after my first night at home...trying to get into the swing of the post-surgery diet. Dr. U suggested that my stomach will have healed enough to jump straight into the full-fluid/soft food phase, which is what I’m trying to do. After not eating ice chips for almost two whole weeks, ANY food is a blessing.

I started with applesauce and chicken broth, both have settled well. I’m also using the protein shakes recommended by my physician. He maintains that my weight loss will actually progress faster and beyond expectations because my stomach shrank while I was admitted.

My starting weight as of January 1 was 202lbs. As of the date of my surgery (after the two week liquid diet), I dropped to 192. As of this morning, almost three weeks later, I’m down to 182.

Would I trade a healthy recovery for the additional weight loss? HELL YES. Pancreatitis is a serious and evil condition and it could very well make a return visit anytime. I’m FORCED to avoid high fat foods (even as a one in a while treat), or risk ending up back in the hospital. The time I lost with my family, the fear they had to deal with...none of it was worth it.

But now I KNOW what I’m up against. If I do have another bout, my gallbladder will most likely have to come out and that’s enough of a reason to toe the line.

If any of you have been warned about impending problems with your gallbladder or pancreas, DON’T IGNORE THEM. By having the surgery, you’re already taking a positive step in improving your odds, but don’t take anything for granted.

Anyhoo...I’m back from the “grave” and ready to party, so bring on the chocolate shakes and soy milk, y’all. My new life begins today .

Submit "Two Steps Forward, Ten Steps Back" to Digg Submit "Two Steps Forward, Ten Steps Back" to del.icio.us Submit "Two Steps Forward, Ten Steps Back" to StumbleUpon Submit "Two Steps Forward, Ten Steps Back" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sorry to hear you had such a rough start. A lot of gastric patients have to have their gall bladder removed. I have been lucky enough to have no issues whatsoever. Hopefully you won't have an more issues.
    OMG that's a big deal! So glad they caught it and you were able to be treated. Are you taking meds to prevent gall bladder problems? I'm on Ursidol for 6 mos which some docs think helps but others don't prescribe....

My mom had pancreatitis and I know the pain is terrible. So sorry you've been dealing with all of that. Hope you are on your way to health now.
    Yuck! But I'm very glad for you that you found out what the problem was.

Great good fortune you had to find such a good local gastric surgeon/doctor. Sounds like, given what you were dealing with, you had some great care.

And now you just have to add this new factor into your "new normal." I am betting that pretty soon here you're going to be feeling much better than you did pre-op. You still haven't had a chance to enjoy your weight loss, which will speed up now.

Very best to you!
    Good to hear you're okay sweetpea. What a horrible time! Here's to the future :-)
    Sorry you had such a hard time but glad you are feling better and ready to kill it!
    I'm sorry you had such a bad start!
    I'm glad all is well now, well, exept your gall bladder...
    What are the symptoms of a pancreatitis?
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve
    I'm sorry you had such a bad start!
    I'm glad all is well now, well, exept your gall bladder...
    What are the symptoms of a pancreatitis?
    It was definitely rough and 4 days after my return home, I’m still exhausted! Every day gets better with reference to my diet and my ability to keep things down. I have vomited a few times, but I’m still getting hang of how much I can actually eat.

As for symptoms of pancreatitis, the most obvious one is the pain. It radiates from the left side of the belly button all the way to the middle of your back. Many people mistake it for a pulled muscle. In fact, I had been having this pain for YEARS (though much less intense) and I never realized that my pancreas was telling me something. If you experience bad stomach pains after eating too much, or eating foods high in fat, you may want to get checked. Let it go too far and it CAN kill you. For real.