Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

A Realistic Goal Weight

Rate this Entry
I recently had a conversation with someone regarding my estimated goal weight, and at that time, it was mentioned that my ideal weight might not very realistic (I am looking at 185 lbs, but was told that realistically, I should set my sights on 210-220 lbs.)

At the time of that conversation, I was not very pleased with what had been suggested because - at least to my way of thinking - there should not be any form of outside expectation placed on what goal weight someone should/could achieve. After all, it is my body, and as such, I should be able to recognize if I am capable of thriving at a lower weight.

Their reasoning was that I might become so thin that I will look ill. This is something I am having trouble comprehending. Having been heavy for most of my life, is it really possible to be too thin?

I am 6' 1" tall, and I currently weigh in at 237.2 lbs. To date (within the last four months) I have successfully lost 85 lbs. While I am excited about the outcome thus far, I am far from satisfied. I want to be lean. I want to be as healthy as possible. I want to be the best version of me that I can achieve. So why the emphasis on my intended goal weight? Honestly, I don't understand?

Submit "A Realistic Goal Weight" to Digg Submit "A Realistic Goal Weight" to del.icio.us Submit "A Realistic Goal Weight" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Realistic Goal Weight" to Google

Comments

I speak for me now, but I don't actually believe in goal weight.
    According to several bariatric surgeons the body seeks its own set point weight, after a wls.
    That set point weight is based on numerous things, such as gender, genetics, etc.
    Things over which we have no control.
    The body will sort it out on its own.
    And since we can't eat much anymore, we have very little influence.
    As long as we make healthy choices of course, but that ought to be obveous.
    Did I set a goal weight?
    Yes, I did, based on BMI.
    The worst tool I could pick.
    But for me, it was something to work up to.
    And, as you clearly can see, I overshot my landingsite.
    I am getting a bit thin.
    I had this weight when I was 18, and now, I am... well, lets say 60+
    Almost 64 to be exact...
    I was a bit worried, to be honest.
    And now I just let it go.
    My body will figure it out.
    All I can do (and am doing) is feeding my body the most nutritious food I can.
    That is my responsibility.
    Nothing more, nothing less.

Edit: I realise you can't see my weight.
    My goal weight was 121 lbs, I am currently 113.
    Thank you very much, DutchSleeve!

I needed to read something like that. It makes perfect sense. Much appreciated.
    My goal was to reach a normal BMI which I did. But I'm at the high end of normal. I've weighed the same for almost 4 years, so I think it's where my body wants to stay. (Did have a little 5 pound gain after an injury, but finally lost that.)

I guess your goal should be where you feel good and are happy with your size. Or maybe your body will tell you, I just stopped losing.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    My goal was to reach a normal BMI which I did. But I'm at the high end of normal. I've weighed the same for almost 4 years, so I think it's where my body wants to stay. (Did have a little 5 pound gain after an injury, but finally lost that.)

I guess your goal should be where you feel good and are happy with your size. Or maybe your body will tell you, I just stopped losing.
    Hi sraebaer!

Thank you for the response. I appreciate it.

For a period of time I, too, watched my BMI with the idea that the weight indicated within should be my goal weight. But realistically, for my height/frame, I didn't think that was a good idea. (I believed I would look incredibly emaciated if I did so.)

I like the idea of simply following my body's direction. It seems to me, the most plausible idea. But I agree with you when you say my goal should be where I feel happy about my size. Makes perfect sense.
    We can pick whatever we want, but our bodies have the final say.
    That can be more or less than what we choose.
    If we choose less, then I think we will struggle for the rest of our lives to reach and maintain our target.
    And that is not what I want for me.
    I want to be reasonable comfortable maintaining.
    I don't mind being vigilant, but it has to be doable.
    I don't want to fight my body for the rest of my life.
    Been there, done that... lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve
    We can pick whatever we want, but our bodies have the final say.
    That can be more or less than what we choose.
    If we choose less, then I think we will struggle for the rest of our lives to reach and maintain our target.
    And that is not what I want for me.
    I want to be reasonable comfortable maintaining.
    I don't mind being vigilant, but it has to be doable.
    I don't want to fight my body for the rest of my life.
    Been there, done that... lost.
    I totally agree! I have found a weight I'm happy with and can easily maintain. I'd love to be "skinny" but know I'd be dieting forever to stay there, so normal makes me happy. 4 years at normal makes me really happy. I don't have to give up that occasional piece of pizza or glass of wine. Life is good.
    Life IS good, isn'it?
    So much better now...
    Weight goals are personal. My initial goal had be just barely in the normal weight category. With even a 5 pound fluctuaion I would be considered over weight. My body decided that wasn't good enough and I dropped an additional 20 pounds putting me in the middle of the normal weight spectrum. I'm maintaning that weight without struggling so I figure it's where I need to be.

Did I hear the comments about being too thin, sure but I explained that was their opinion and my weight loss was for my heath not their viewing pleasure. I also find it funny, the same people that will tell you that you are too thin never voiced an opinion when I was too fat. And I told them that as well. They may still think I'm too thin but they don't voice it out loud. Plus my doctor said I'm fine and his opinion counts more than a co-workers does when it comes to health.
    Hear hear!
    This was a great thread, and I appreciate the sharing. I've taking a page from Ann02 about her method, which feels "right" for me. And reminding myself it's a journey, not a destination seems to help.

I do believe all of you who feel the body has its own set point. I shall be curious to see what that might be....but way less anxious than I was. Right now I'm at 143, and normal BMI, but I can see places that will benefit from exercise (sigh) and a little more weight loss.

Too thin? someone mentioned my face was thin, but it always has been (relatively). I am going to let my body & nutrion be my guide, and not arbitrary numbers.

Did I mention you guys rock?
    Only you can decide what weight you would feel comfortable at. It is a personal goal. And your body will decide if it is an achievable goal. And one thing I have learned is to not care what people think.