Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sweetpea903

Something I Never Saw Coming

Rate this Entry
First off, I want to thank the folks who messaged me post-surgery. I appreciate your support and consideration more than you know. I’m feeling pretty tired, so I’m going to make this kinda quick.

I checked in for surgery Thursday morning and was all done by noon. After a few hours in recovery, hubby and I were on our two hour drive back home. That’s when things went wonky.

Once I got home, I just wanted to sleep so I headed upstairs. Thing is, I couldn’t get comfortable because of a dull aching pain in my left shoulder. I had felt it post-op and reported it to the doc. He called it “referred pain” and said that it wasn’t uncommon. His logic behind it seemed quite sound, so I didn’t think much of it.

Hours later, around 9pm it was unbeaarable and I was vomiting and nauseous. Hubby took me to the ER and my lipase/amylase levels were over 1400 (around 160 is normal, depending how you measure them). My blood pressure (which had ALWAYS been normal), was off the charts. No fever, but obviously something was wrong with my pancreas.

They admitted me and did a fluoroscopy to determine if there was pancreatic acid or stomach acid leaking into my gut. According to the surgical consult they brought in, there was no leak (THANK GOD) and he backed it up with “Your doctor did one helluva clean job on those sutures. I couldn’t have done better myself”.

So now it’s just a waiting game. Try pumped me full of IV dilaudid and fluids to rehydrate me. I didn’t want to see or speak to anyone. All I wanted was sleep. Finally by Sunday evening, my lipase was down to an acceptable level and my blood pressure had somewhat leveled off. I was discharged and sent home with an Rx for pain meds and a container of jello.

And that’s all there is to it.

I didn’t update because frankly, I haven’t felt like doing a whole helluva a lot since Thursday. I can’t sleep more than three hours at a time, I haven’t pooped since before my surgery and I don’t want to eat ANYTHING.

I have a pain to the left of my belly button, but idk if it’s the surgery, my pancreas, or my constipation that’s causing it. My doc has been wonderful- he called to check on me several times (he found out about my ER visit because I had spoken to his on call staff prior to checking in). He gave me his mobile number and encouraged me to text if I had any questions.

None of this is HIS fault, mind you. Of that, I am sure. What scares me is that the pain in my side seems familiar, because I’ve had it before on several occasions. I chalked it up was to a pulled muscle or overeating, but I think that it might have been my pancreas’ way of telling me to pay it some attention.

So now I’ll be visiting a gastrointestinal dude to make sure cancer isn’t in my future. Lots to absorb, as you can imagine.

For now, I’m taking a bit of a break. I’ll check in as I can and I hope everyone is doing well 😊.

Submit "Something I Never Saw Coming" to Digg Submit "Something I Never Saw Coming" to del.icio.us Submit "Something I Never Saw Coming" to StumbleUpon Submit "Something I Never Saw Coming" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I am so sorry. No idea what's going on, of course. FYI, 10 days post-VSG surgery I experienced my first gall bladder attack. My pain showed up in the upper-mid back. And an ultrasound showed about 30 little sparkling gallstones. I had my gall bladder removed 4 weeks after VSG surgery.

Three and a half years later I've had zero complaints. And yes, I know you've been told you have pancreatic issues. But make sure there's nothing going on with your gall bladder either. Those damned digestive organs in trouble can indeed generate pain that "refers" around the torso like a billard ball!

Very best wishes to you!
    Yours was endoscopic not laparoscopic, right?
    Not sure if they make you do all the same pre-op lab tests but they're pretty extensive for laparoscopic and one of the reasons, according to my PCP, is that they don't want to do elective surgery on anyone who might have cancer or another condition that could be made worse. This actually made me feel better.... Maybe it will help you.
    I would say that your body has still been through quite a bit even if you don't have the external sutures like some of us do. Take care of yourself!
    Sorry you had a rough time. Hope you are recovering well now.
    Let us know how youre going sweetpea and hopefully all is well.
    So sorry to hear this. Hopefully it is all behind you and you are able to focus on your recovery.
    Sweetpea, I hope you are on the road to recovery and feeling much better! L
    Hi Sweetpea, how are you doing now? It is rough when things don't go as planned and you don't feel good (hugs). I know you want so desperately to start the healing process for your new sleeve, and start your new life and then you have to deal with other issues. I had a kidney stone after my sleeve surgery... I don't think it was related at all but man was I in major pain!!!

I am so glad there was no leak!!! I wish you healing and a quick recovery. xoxoxo
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Hope you feel better soon! Glad there was no leak.
    I hope you are on the away side of this post, and had good diagnostics and a good report when you went to the gastro guy. Unexplained pain is something that would make any one anxious. As you know by know, your pancreas can get inflammed or infected; I have liver issues, and its way better now than prior to surgery; please update us! Prayers coming your way.
    So sorry for the pain and discomfort. Praying for healing and good health. Hope all is better and you begin to feel better as soon as possible.