Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

elllie

food allowed

Rate this Entry
HI! This is my second post on here. I have not had the operation yet and am still in the consideration phase. I have been reading up on the gastric sleeve and came across a website about what one can eat after surgery and forever. It says that you can't eat, steak, raw fruit and veg and popcorn ever again. please tell me if this is true? I am also concerned that people are gaining weight after the sleeve or not losing much, I feel like if I am having such drastic surgery I don't want to be in either of those categories. I look forward to hearing from people

Submit "food allowed" to Digg Submit "food allowed" to del.icio.us Submit "food allowed" to StumbleUpon Submit "food allowed" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hahahaha. Sorry. I just had to laugh. I am over a year out and I can eat anything I want. Obviously the sleeve is a tool and you have to eat healthy to maintain your weight loss but yes, you can eat anything. In the beginning, you have to follow the phases of liquids, to pureed/soft, to solids. And in the beginning you will focus on protein and fluids. And later it will be solid proteins, veggies, and fluids. (As you add back your foods, some people have issues with certain foods temporarily. I never did.) Then you slowly add back carbs as you get close to goal or hit goal. Eventually you will be able to eat everything.
    But steak is something that we thrive on in the early months once we start eating solid proteins. Raw veggies is something that is a bit farther out like 3-4 months. And fruits is usually limited by most nutritionists until we are near or at goal due to the natural sugars.
    Totally untrue! I eat steak, fruit, veggies and popcorn all the time. Last night I had a delicious fillet and lost a pound!

There is NOTHING you won't be able to eat. You will, however, want to change your lifestyle to eating healthy foods and cutting out the crap, like sugars and junk food.

Right after surgery of course there are things you won't be able to eat while your tummy heals. I was 2 weeks of protein shakes, one week of mushy foods, and then they added foods each week until I was cleared for everything at 6 weeks.
    What Christie13 and sraebaer seems to be very true for most people on the site. I'm only 3 months out, and not ready to try popcorn, but have head steak (2 oz serving(s)). I've had a few peeled pieces of apple (with stevia & cinnamon), and salad. But am careful about sugar in fruit, so not quite there either.

Be of good cheer! I kinda figure I've had all kinds of food most of my life, and it wasn't my friend.
    I'm in the early months post-op and I am still learning what makes my new little tummy happy and what does not. There are some things that I loved pre-op that don't sit well with me now but so far it's anything with sugar or dairy. Some people (I seem to be one of them) become lactose intolerant post surgery. I can't yet handle raw vegetables or meats with high fat content yet but I don't think this is a long term. One thing I'm already learning is that you can "eat around" your sleeve. I'm sure that could easily lead to weight gain so I'm working to get some good habits established.
    Ever again is a long time - but in response to your concerns - I am a vegetarian so I can't speak to the steak part - that seemed repulsive before surgery HAHA - but I have been able to eat fruit, veg and popcorn - in fact there is a giant tin of popcorn to the left of my keyboard! I certainly don't care to - or want to eat very much. I have been consistently losing weight since I had the surgery five months ago so I can't speak to the regaining part yet - but how I look at it, you are given a long reprieve - from what I understand anywhere between 6 and 18 months to get your food priorities and behavior changes in order - that's a huge reprieve. I feel blessed that none of the old junk calls to me anymore and even if it did - my stomach wouldn't necessarily find the old stuff as palatable nor would it have much room for more than a couple of bites. If you read enough of the posts here in the forum, you will see a lot of good examples of people losing plenty of weight and not gaining it back. Good luck in your decision, whatever it might be.
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The more I read on this forum and the more positive responses I get the more motivated I am. However I am still stressed over the first few weeks and just having liquids,especially since I really don't like the protein shakes and the fact I have to cook meals for the family. How has everyone managed to get through this stage?
    First of all, the liquid phase is not hard since you really won't want anything post op. You will breeze through it. I still cooked with no issues and my husband helped out with that as well. It is really not too hard. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. My one regret was waiting so long to take the plunge.