Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

elllie

Ellie

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by elllie View Post
HI! I have just joined the forum as I am in the process of deciding whether or not to have the surgery. I have my second appointment with the doctor this month and I still can't make up my mind. I need to lose allot of weight as I am uncomfortable and very unhappy in my body, but I feel surgery might be one step to far. I know what to do to lose weight but keeping to a diet is very difficult when you are the only one in the household who need to lose weight. I am scared of the first month, as I am not sure I can cope on just liquids and that in itself is a problem as I loathe the protein shakes. I have tried the slim fast diet and I cannot drink the shakes. It is making my anxiety worse. My son also says he doesn't want me to have the operation as it is a major operation and the worst outcome is death, plus the other side affects.

I also have questions regarding eating in the long term. Can you ever eat normal food again, like birthday cake or other treats? If you go out with friends/family to a restaurant can you eat a normal portion of food?

I look forward to hearing from people

Submit "Ellie" to Digg Submit "Ellie" to del.icio.us Submit "Ellie" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ellie" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm only a month out, so I can't answer all of your questions. I will say, though, that I had many of the same concerns. To be quite honest, the first week after surgery is really rough. All I wanted was to eat regular food. Once that passes, though, you'll be much more concerned with getting enough liquid, protein, and nutrients. You won't be thinking about the things you're "missing out on" because you'll have plenty else to think about. Honestly, it's hard, harder than I expected, but it's so, so worth it.
    i have the same concerns, but I finally made up my mind that i can either live life in pain and discomfort or I can so something about it. From all my research, the pro's of the surgery far outweigh the con's (except the whole "worse possible outcome" part - but that is SO rare).
    Good luck w/your decision.
    I am happy with my decision and I can tell you as drastic as it may seem, knowing what to do and doing it is the chasm that, in my 58 years has been impossible. For the first time in my life I am not thinking about food, overeating food, feeling guilty. I eat under normal, but I also leave food on my plate like normal people and have a cue that tells me I've had too much. In the long term, I think most of your questions will be a non-issue. You can have everything you want - you just won't be able to have much of it. Good luck in whatever decision you make.
    I wish i would have had it done 12 years ago, thats 12 years i cant get back. I am very happy i had it done and would do it over and over and over again.

Also, i bought me some um smaller child like plates or salad plate except mine have dividers. So i can be sure i am getting a good bit of different food that i like and need but i dont have to worry about over filling my plate with food i wont eat. My daughter is still telling me sometimes mom you know you wont eat that much.