Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

As the Dust Settles...

Rate this Entry
As the dust settles on the journey of our lives, I find myself a bit out of sorts.

We no longer reside in the Phoenix, Arizona, and as such I feel a little lost regarding my VSG by way of support and community. Don't get me wrong, I do have my wife, but she too feels a little frustrated and lost at the moment. With that said, I find myself struggling to maintain a sense of normalcy, all the while maintaining the principles that apply to one who has undergone VSG surgery.

Traveling with two dogs in stifling cold weather, we were forced to eat food (if you can call it that) at truck stops along the way. Surprisingly, that did not cause weight gain. It did not create any losses either. What it did do is make me realize that I don't miss that type of food; that the only reason(s) I ate it at all was because there weren't any choices for VSG-friendly foods.

Now I am in a community that so far appears to embrace me (which feels nice). I can only hope that I am able to push through this slump and get a hold of myself with enough gusto that I can rebound from this slump and come out swinging. I am creeping ever so close to my goal weight, and with that I do not want to fail. Especially over something as light hearted as moving out of state.

Submit "As the Dust Settles..." to Digg Submit "As the Dust Settles..." to del.icio.us Submit "As the Dust Settles..." to StumbleUpon Submit "As the Dust Settles..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Bless your heart, I went to school in Yankton SD, and it is definitely not Phoenix!
    That said, you'll find a new group of people -- it just takes a while and its harder as we get older (I'm 65).

And you have us!
    Moving is so traumatic and your body has just gone through a trauma of its own. Be kind to yourself and celebrate what you can. I mean, it's a serious victory to have eaten at truck stops and not gained weight--and especially not even wanted that food. And moving from the dessert to the frozen tundra is another trauma. Celebrate how well you're doing!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG
    Bless your heart, I went to school in Yankton SD, and it is definitely not Phoenix!
    That said, you'll find a new group of people -- it just takes a while and its harder as we get older (I'm 65).

And you have us!
    Hi Annie!

You are certainly right. SD is not Phoenix, but it is a much welcome change. My wife and I grew tired of the fast pace and drama that seems to come with living in a big city. That said...I am 47, and I have no doubt I will find a new group of people. As with anything, it just takes time.

Thank you for the kind response.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHB
    Moving is so traumatic and your body has just gone through a trauma of its own. Be kind to yourself and celebrate what you can. I mean, it's a serious victory to have eaten at truck stops and not gained weight--and especially not even wanted that food. And moving from the dessert to the frozen tundra is another trauma. Celebrate how well you're doing!
    Hi Dale!

It's certainly been a while since I've been on here, but I'm glad you all didn't forget about me.

Anyway...you're absolutely right. As much of a victory as it may have been, it was equal parts traumatic having to eat garbage from truck stops. But all is well that ended well (although there were a couple of instances where I found myself ill from the food).

As for moving from one extreme to the other...it is a welcome change my wife and I were both looking forward to. As I stated to AnnieG, we grew tired of the big city life, and as such arrived in town with our arms opened wide.
    I completely understand! I moved from San Francisco to the PNW last year and then moved again in the same year to another city. It is overwhelming and exhausting!

I took the change of place to shake up things in my life. I've tried different exercises, different types of doctors and different kinds of eating. I missed much of my old life, but a year into my new state, I'm glad for the changes. Sometimes shaking things up is a good thing!

Best wishes!
    Jen
    Hi Shannon, I was wondering how you guys had got on and I saw that your weather has been a little turbulant! I'd let go of the truck stop stuff now, it's so hard when travelling. I did a 16 hour non stop drive across Australia to move once and survived on pies from the arse end of Coomaburabura or somewhere!
    It takes a while to settle after a move and your weapon of choice could be organisation. Even if you're not feeling it having a routine in place will help you no end. Plan those meals, food prep, make appointments for exercise and write that stuff down. Put a calendar on the wall. The consistancy will be what gets you through. You know all this.
    Congratulations on your move and your new home. Heres to new adventures :-)
    Congrats on your move. Here's to new beginnings. Once the dust settles, I am sure you will be feeling back to the new and improved you. And yes, traveling sucks when you are trying to maintain your VSG lifestyle. In the beginning I always had low carb protein bars, tuna packs, and water wherever I went. I never wanted to be stuck with no healthy options. I had that happen once or twice and then started to plan around that. I still keep a protein bar in a Ziploc bag in my purse for emergencies.
    We have moved about 14 times, and just like the sleeve, it's all in the attitude. If you think the new place will be crappy, it will. It you look at it as a fun adventure, it will be.

I do remember crying getting off the plane from Southern CA to Chicago in the snow, but hey, we had fun. The kids had never played in snow before! But for some stupid reason I was wearing open-towed shoes, and that was cold.

Our craziest move was from San Francisco to middle of nowhere Mississippi. With teenagers. Now that was a culture shock! The only place to shop was Walmart, and that was before online shopping. We had to drive a hour just to find a mall. I feel my kids made a real difference in the racial culture, as they had friends from all over the world in CA, and weren't about to accept the fact that black and white kids weren't going to hang out in Mississippi! We ended up really enjoying the small town atmosphere, the huge inexpensive house, and the friendly people.

Best of luck to you. (Land's End sells really warm coats!!)