Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

Self-care (Getting Real)

Rate this Entry
In light of a post I responded to earlier this afternoon, I chose to do some self-evaluating and self-care implementation of my own.

Over the course of the past two months, I realize that I have had one hell of a time adjusting to my VSG procedure. For one reason or another, I have encountered struggle after struggle, only to find that I may very well be the reason for the difficulties I have faced.

I say this, not because I am searching for sympathy, rather so others who may find themselves struggling with similar situations can consider looking inward for inspiration, as well as a means of self-evaluation.

It is my belief that self-care is paramount to combating the many difficulties we face in our daily lives. By learning how to organize our thoughts in such a way that we are able to sort through the muck and mire of the difficulties we are faced with, we can then begin to prioritize in short order what it will take to rectify said difficulties, and better understand why we are facing the difficulties we speak of.

This is not to say we are all the cause of our own problems. What I am saying is that the manner in which we handle these problems can be the root cause. Medical issues notwithstanding, we are all here because we have had a love/hate relationship with food. And for whatever reason, we have struggled with food addiction for most of our lives. Every individual here has a story. And while it is their story, the facts behind it speak volumes about the root cause(s) that have led each of us to this very website.

My reason(s) vary, however, my underlying story is no different than many of yours in that I too live with concerns that need immediate attention.

As I write this I realize that it is high time I get real with myself, with who I am, and with who I want to become.

Submit "Self-care (Getting Real)" to Digg Submit "Self-care (Getting Real)" to del.icio.us Submit "Self-care (Getting Real)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Self-care (Getting Real)" to Google

Comments

This is such a great post Shannon and we are all on this journey. I love to see how people develop and change and put different things in place as they go along. one of the wisest things we can do is reevvaluate as we go along. It is soooo wise. We are changing and we must recognise all the difficulties and what we can do to help ourselves. by being visible and honest in our journey we help so many people. We have to change, we are not the same person, we are progressing and we are learning. You are killing it!!! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    This is such a great post Shannon and we are all on this journey. I love to see how people develop and change and put different things in place as they go along. one of the wisest things we can do is reevvaluate as we go along. It is soooo wise. We are changing and we must recognise all the difficulties and what we can do to help ourselves. by being visible and honest in our journey we help so many people. We have to change, we are not the same person, we are progressing and we are learning. You are killing it!!! :-)
    I couldn't agree with you more, Edie! I think we become so immersed in the process of weight loss surgery that we tend to lose sight of who we are at our core. There are many aspects to each one of us, and with each aspect outlined, we can learn more than we thought was possible about who we are becoming and where we are headed.
    Well stated, and very correct! The surgery changes the gut but not the head and it takes work and lots of mindfulness to attain and maintain success. We no longer have the food coping mechanism and now it's "time to get real" as you stated. Sometimes when I'm rounding on patients and encouraging them the day after surgery, I just want to say, "Come on now, we've educated you and now you have to take control of the lifestyle you're choosing." I know it's not that easy, but has to be done sooner than later for success. You're putting lots of work into your "new plan" and it will benefit you in all kinds of ways! Continued success!
    Well said. One of the things about this journey for me has been about learning to be intuitive with my body. It has taken a lot of time and "listening" but it has done me well on my journey. I always knew when I needed to eat more to continue losing weight. I can't really explain it. But I completely understand what my body needs now. It is a wonderful feeling. And I take pride in feeding it in such a nutritious way.