Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

Trying Times, Indeed

Rate this Entry
These are trying times, indeed, My wife and I recently learned that due to a closure at her place of business, we will be relocating out of state the day after Christmas. This leaves both of us in a peculiar predicament in that we will find ourselves without our bariatric surgeon - a thought that finds us somewhat frustrated.

We have come so far in such a short period of time. To no longer have that level of support is on some levels concerning, however, provides for each of us the added strength and determination to see our weight loss journey through.

While we have considered looking into another surgeon when we are relocated for follow-ups, we realize that every surgeon is different and that their processes and procedures differ widely. Knowing this, we have decided to lean on one another for moral, emotional, and dietary support (something we have been doing all along). The level of accountability will be there as well. The difference being that we will no longer be held accountable by Dr. Arnold and his staff.

This will be a trying time for us considering everything that will be taking place, but I have no doubt that we can continue to push forward and reach our goal weights. We just need to be resilient and use this time to re-evaluate our needs and adjust accordingly.

Submit "Trying Times, Indeed" to Digg Submit "Trying Times, Indeed" to del.icio.us Submit "Trying Times, Indeed" to StumbleUpon Submit "Trying Times, Indeed" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good luck with the move Shannon. That's quite soon and I'm sure you were quite concerned about not having your doc around. I am sure you can work it out together and best of luck with the move
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    Good luck with the move Shannon. That's quite soon and I'm sure you were quite concerned about not having your doc around. I am sure you can work it out together and best of luck with the move
    Thank you, Edie. Moving from the Southwest (Arizona) to a climate that, at this time of year, routinely sees single digit temperatures and annually averages 44 inches of snow (South Dakota) is something we will have to quickly adapt to. There are many variables involved here, and our surgeon is by a small cog in a very large wheel. DO I think everything will eventually be fine? Of course. Do I think in the early going it will be a struggle? Absolutely. But in no way will we let this be a hindrance to the progress we've made to day.

On a side note, I think the reason I chose to bring this up at all was to gain much needed community support throughout this trying time. I expect to face some challenges, but if I am not candid about my trials and tribulations, then asking for help becomes a mute point. Thank you for responding. I truly appreciate it.
    Good luck with the move! (From the person who has lived in 14 states, and loved it!). Hey, we've lived from San Francisco to rural Mississippi, and everywhere in between, even lugging 3 kids along the way. Sooner or later the kids grew up and stayed, and we kept moving. But now we have retired and get to decide where to live. Still no idea.

My PCP is wonderful for follow-up on my sleeve. She knows exactly what extra blood work needs to be ordered and how often. It's like she was educated by a bariatric surgeon or something. Or I'm sure a new bariatric surgeon would take you on if your insurance covers it. (Mine didn't.)

Good luck! New adventures can be fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon'sVSG
    Thank you, Edie. Moving from the Southwest (Arizona) to a climate that, at this time of year, routinely sees single digit temperatures and annually averages 44 inches of snow (South Dakota) is something we will have to quickly adapt to. There are many variables involved here, and our surgeon is by a small cog in a very large wheel. DO I think everything will eventually be fine? Of course. Do I think in the early going it will be a struggle? Absolutely. But in no way will we let this be a hindrance to the progress we've made to day.

On a side note, I think the reason I chose to bring this up at all was to gain much needed community support throughout this trying time. I expect to face some challenges, but if I am not candid about my trials and tribulations, then asking for help becomes a mute point. Thank you for responding. I truly appreciate it.
    Gosh desert to snow. Now that is going to be fun! I think it's hard as it is been sprung on you in such a short amount of time. I really think you will do okay especially as you have each other. You can get through a lot with a good team. Sraebaurs idea about finding a good GP sounds great as they could do all the blood tests etc. Could you still have telephone contact with your old practice in Arizona? Or at least get a cheat sheet of what will need to be done from now on. They might write you a plan for the next 12 months or couple of years.
    Now for the packing!!! and the unpacking! Gawd!
    I'm sure you will settle down quickly and you can come here all along the way for support. It probaly feels like quite a bit happening soon after surgery and the recent dehydration and shamoz. You sound like youre a good team :-)
    Glad you feel you can come here for support. Interestingly, I talked to both my PCP & my surgeon this week and they acknowledged that at around 3-6mos. I will transition over to the PCP as my primary follow-up for blood work, etc. so perhaps it's not as important to continue with your surgeon. Perhaps you can find a good sleeve support group in your new location.

Good luck in your move. So glad you and your wife can support one another. Those of us with true partners are really so fortunate.
    From a fellow new VSG'er and a life long South Dakotan, welcome to our state!! We welcome you and your wife with open arms. Yes, actually having all four seasons may take some getting used to, but I would imagine, after some time, you will love it!! The people are awesome!

Best of luck to you and all your current and upcoming ventures!! Welcome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hookydad
    From a fellow new VSG'er and a life long South Dakotan, welcome to our state!! We welcome you and your wife with open arms. Yes, actually having all four seasons may take some getting used to, but I would imagine, after some time, you will love it!! The people are awesome!

That is SO NICE!!! I want to move to South Dakota TOO now!!! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    Good luck with the move! (From the person who has lived in 14 states, and loved it!). Hey, we've lived from San Francisco to rural Mississippi, and everywhere in between, even lugging 3 kids along the way. Sooner or later the kids grew up and stayed, and we kept moving. But now we have retired and get to decide where to live. Still no idea.

My PCP is wonderful for follow-up on my sleeve. She knows exactly what extra blood work needs to be ordered and how often. It's like she was educated by a bariatric surgeon or something. Or I'm sure a new bariatric surgeon would take you on if your insurance covers it. (Mine didn't.)

Good luck! New adventures can be fun!
    Thank you, sraebaer, for the kind words. My wife and I are also empty nesters, and as such are very much looking forward to a new start and a new lease on life (our combined VSG surgeries were the onset).

I will be finding a new network of doctor's once we settle in, and I will be certain to investigate a PCP that has knowledge of the VSG procedure, and weight loss surgery as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by hookydad

hookydad! Thank you so much for the warm welcome! It certainly does not go unappreciated. You're right when you say having all four seasons will take some getting used to. Where I am coming from, I am used to war, hot, and scalding. There is no middle ground.

I look forward to this new life and can't wait to get to know the wonderful people of South Dakota!
    Quote Originally Posted by DHB
    Glad you feel you can come here for support. Interestingly, I talked to both my PCP & my surgeon this week and they acknowledged that at around 3-6mos. I will transition over to the PCP as my primary follow-up for blood work, etc. so perhaps it's not as important to continue with your surgeon. Perhaps you can find a good sleeve support group in your new location.

Good luck in your move. So glad you and your wife can support one another. Those of us with true partners are really so fortunate.
    Thank you, Dale! I appreciate the information 3-6 months for transitioning). While I have had many conversations with my surgeon and his staff, transitioning into a PCP moderated process wasn't something we had previously discussed.

Regarding my wife, support, and the move...no kinder words could have been said. Thank you.
    I cannot imagine ever leaving the desert - good luck!
    hookydad! Thank you so much for the warm welcome! It certainly does not go unappreciated. You're right when you say having all four seasons will take some getting used to. Where I am coming from, I am used to war, hot, and scalding. There is no middle ground.

I look forward to this new life and can't wait to get to know the wonderful people of South Dakota!
    Lol no there's chilly then nice then hot then OMFG what the hell was I thinking moving to Arizona! lol Been here nearly 12 years and only regret is not moving here 20 years before. I've had the 4 seasons, the snow the ice the bone chilling negative 20 degrees, the bugs, mosquitoes, gray dreary crap for months on end. Bleh
    Quote Originally Posted by azladyrider
    Lol no there's chilly then nice then hot then OMFG what the hell was I thinking moving to Arizona! lol Been here nearly 12 years and only regret is not moving here 20 years before. I've had the 4 seasons, the snow the ice the bone chilling negative 20 degrees, the bugs, mosquitoes, gray dreary crap for months on end. Bleh
    Hi Sue!

LOL! The picture you paint of the four seasons certainly leaves a lot to be desired. I grew up throughout the southwest, and I have lived in Arizona for the better part of 32 years. With that said, as previously stated, all I know is warm, hot, and scalding. LOL! Be that as it may, I look forward to a change of pace (whatever that may entail).
    Hi Sue!

LOL! The picture you paint of the four seasons certainly leaves a lot to be desired. I grew up throughout the southwest, and I have lived in Arizona for the better part of 32 years. With that said, as previously stated, all I know is warm, hot, and scalding. LOL! Be that as it may, I look forward to a change of pace (whatever that may entail).
    I hated the midwest but I lived there for 47 years too - visited here often and loved it. I know a few born and raised Arizonians that love the other weather. Not me. I figure if I wanna see snow (I don't) I can drive a few hours towards Payson
    Good luck on the move. I am sure you will guys will do great even without your surgeon. I know that honestly, I would go to my follow ups but did not really need the visit. I get all my support on here. I know that I could call any time I needed but honestly, I didn't need to. Hopefully you guys will be just fine as well. Can you email them for support if you have questions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Good luck on the move. I am sure you will guys will do great even without your surgeon. I know that honestly, I would go to my follow ups but did not really need the visit. I get all my support on here. I know that I could call any time I needed but honestly, I didn't need to. Hopefully you guys will be just fine as well. Can you email them for support if you have questions?
    Hi Christie13!

Thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement. In times like these (where everything in our world appears to be turned upside down) it goes a long way knowing that people much like yourself, as well as the countless others who had offered like-minded words of encouragement are nearby to aid in supporting us.

After having putting more thought into not having a surgeon once we relocate, I tend to agree with you. We will be just fine. So long as we stick to the guidelines provided withing the parameters of the VSG procedure, and we come here to field any questions we may have regarding concerns we are facing, we will come out of this well.

My wife and I are seeing our surgeon one more time this Friday (12/15/2017), at which time I'm going to ask if we can keep in touch via email so we can send progress pictures, stats, etc. He has been such a huge inspiration that I would feel odd not keeping him in the loop.