Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

Weighing In

Rate this Entry
So...I've been mulling this over for quite some time, and I have been wondering which weight you should go by when considering your accumulative weight loss to date. As stated on my ticker, I have listed my beginning weight of 322 lbs., however, I have been told that the only number I should truly consider is the total amount weighed on the day of surgery.

For me, the accumulative weight lost - to include what I weighed prior to my pre-op diet - is all encompassing. I don't feel I should sell myself short by taking away from this process any amount of weight lost. Am I wrong in thinking this way, or is it simply a matter of opinion as to which weight I should go by?

Submit "Weighing In" to Digg Submit "Weighing In" to del.icio.us Submit "Weighing In" to StumbleUpon Submit "Weighing In" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Don't sell yourself short and don't hide your light under a bushel and all that Shannon! You lost it, shove that number down :-)
    I would consider your highest weight when you began your journey is the weight that should be on your ticker. The weight I have on my ticker is the weight my doctor weighed me in on May 9. This is the day I began my weight loss journey. My bariatric surgeon has had me on a reduced calorie diet since May 9, 2017. The current weight on my ticker is a reflection of my monthly weigh-ins at my bariatric surgeons office. So therefore it is accurate and it means I have lost some weight prior to the actual surgery. I stand behind your decision 100% because it is the way I view it. You should feel proud and accomplished that you were able to lose weight on your own prior to having the surgery because I am. What I have noticed is that each person's journey may have slight differences and that has to do with their surgeon preferences. For instance my surgeon is not requiring me to be (NPO) nothing by mouth after midnight before surgery like some other doctors. I was instructed to drink apple juice or Gatorade 28 to 32 oz 2 hours before my surgery time. So leave your ticker just as it is. Good luck on your journey!
    I actually consider my loss from my highest, after all, it was what I once weighed You're doing great and I wish you continued success!
    Thank you for the comments Edie, Johnetta, and jerzeygirl.

I agree with each one of you regarding your responses to my question about weight loss (refer to Weighing In: 12-06-2017). I believe my starting weight should be the weight from which I tally my loss. Not the day of surgery weight. In any event, as of today, I am down a total of 68 lbs in ten weeks - a feat I am proud of when considering the many battles I have had to overcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon'sVSG
    Thank you for the comments Edie, Johnetta, and jerzeygirl.

I agree with each one of you regarding your responses to my question about weight loss (refer to Weighing In: 12-06-2017). I believe my starting weight should be the weight from which I tally my loss. Not the day of surgery weight. In any event, as of today, I am down a total of 68 lbs in ten weeks - a feat I am proud of when considering the many battles I have had to overcome.
    You should be proud Shannon, you've had some right ups and downs along the way. Legend!! 68ibs!!!!!! :-)
    Highest weight. It is what I weighed when I first visited my surgeon. My weight loss includes that lost on my pre op diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Highest weight. It is what I weighed when I first visited my surgeon. My weight loss includes that lost on my pre op diet.
    Hello Christie13!

The general consensus here has been to go with the highest weight, which is something I thought was the case. But then the surgeon's office started tallying my weight from day of surgery, and that is what they go by. A bit frustrating considering I earned every ounce lost, but...I can keep track according to what I feel is right in my heart. My little secret. LOL!