Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

lew1960

Nausea Help

Rate this Entry
I'm 6 weeks post op and doing great with the weight loss, my only problem is the daily bought of nausea. The Dr has given me 2 prescriptions for it and that helps I just hate taking them, am I doomed to taking them the rest of my life or will this pass? Has anyone else experienced this?

Submit "Nausea Help" to Digg Submit "Nausea Help" to del.icio.us Submit "Nausea Help" to StumbleUpon Submit "Nausea Help" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi lew1960. I recently overcame a serious bout of nausea and vomiting that I would later find out was the direct result of dehydration. This is not to say you are suffering from dehydration, rather it is a statement that I can relate to what you're currently dealing with. I too, was prescribed two separate medications to aid in combating this issue (Ondansetron and Promethazine). Some days they worked wonderfully, while other days it was a constant struggle not to become seriously ill. I have since overcome this issue and no longer require these medications - although I have some on hand for issues should they arise.

My questions to you are as follows: are you getting enough fluids? And if so, have you evaluated your diet? Are you able to consume foods yet, or are you struggling to consume anything of substance? This are all issues I looked long and hard at when I was struggling with nausea and vomiting. In any event, hang in there. It will get better, It just takes time.
    Most people will eventually get over the nausea. Some people just have a harder time than others. I doubt you will have to be on the medications forever. As Shannon said, it is often dehydration. Wishing you the best of luck.
    I think it will pass, I'm just 4 weeks out and was having a lot of morning sickness and other random nausea last week so went back to taking a zophran. When I saw my dietitian she was telling me how when we eat the sleeve starts to empty in 30 mins, then in 3 hours it is totally empty. When your sleeve is empty, like in the morning, you can get nausea.

I've been working on my timing of meals and drinks, I start a protein shake as soon as I wake and then make sure I never go longer than 3 hours without eating. It's really helped. Maybe have a look at your timings :-)
    I was getting nausea and I worked it out with my surgeon that if I just took one mouthful too much of my food then it would set me off. I think there can be a lot of things to look at to try and resolve. For me I healed well and seemingly fast and had no trouble eating so it was easy for me to eat a bit too much and then it would start with the nausea.
    I was so lucky, never threw up, not once in 4 years. (So newbies, don't think this happens to everyone.). Hope you find the help you need!

Now I'm not saying I didn't feel horrible sometimes early on after trying certain foods, like chicken, where I actually felt like I would die. It's learning curve to experiment with what you can tolerate and what you can't. Sorry to say, now after years I can tolerate everything and anything. I almost wish the bad stuff would make me sick, but no, it's up to me to make the proper choices.