Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

If It's Not One Thing...

Rate this Entry
As I write this, I have to laugh at the experiences I have been having. Not so much because they are funny, rather because the series of events itself has been somewhat comical.

To recap: I had a bad bout with nausea and vomiting, brought on by severe dehydration. I was given three liters of fluids at the hospital only to find that in doing so, my weight had increased by approximately 8 pounds - which, if you can imagine, in and of itself was frustrating to deal with.

Fast forward to present day, and I am now retaining water at an expeditious rate. I think this has been brought on my the sodium intake I have ingested due to soup broths and crackers when I was feeling ill. I am now off of my three day full liquid diet (imposed by my surgeon), and I am currently taking a round of Lasix to aid in combating the excess water.

I am moving into my 10th week VSG post-op and I have to wonder why I am having these difficulties. I look to my wife who is now 16 weeks VSG post-op, and I see that she didn't experience most of what I have. I know. I know...I can't compare myself to another's experiences. And I'm not. I just wonder why I am faced with so many challenges - albeit, small challenges - but challenges nonetheless.

Please don't mistake my questions for complaints or regret, because I am neither complaining nor feeling regretful about my choice to undergo VSG surgery. I just wonder if there are others out there who have had similar experiences.

In any event, my chin is up and my head is held high. I am proud of what I have accomplished in such a short amount of time. I can only hope that this momentum remains in tact for a little while longer.

Submit "If It's Not One Thing..." to Digg Submit "If It's Not One Thing..." to del.icio.us Submit "If It's Not One Thing..." to StumbleUpon Submit "If It's Not One Thing..." to Google

Comments

Hi Shannon, you should be proud, you're doing good, and gawd some things are challenging right! I hope it all sorts itself out very soon :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    Hi Shannon, you should be proud, you're doing good, and gawd some things are challenging right! I hope it all sorts itself out very soon :-)
    Thank you, Stacey03. The more I put thought to it, I believe these minor setbacks are just that...minor. Frustrating as they may be, I know I am doing everything I can to right the course and get back in good health. Just the same, it certainly can be frustrating when the challenges keep coming.
    Shannon, I understand how you are feeling because I had similar issues with nausea, vomiting and weakness. I was extremely frustrated and started having regrets about doing the surgery. I increased my vitamin intake, started eating more Oikos yogurt, drinking Gatorade to increase my energy. Most importantly start exercising even if it is walking or riding a bike just get up and be active. Also increase your protein intake. It will get better and you will start to see results. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon'sVSG
    Thank you, Stacey03. The more I put thought to it, I believe these minor setbacks are just that...minor. Frustrating as they may be, I know I am doing everything I can to right the course and get back in good health. Just the same, it certainly can be frustrating when the challenges keep coming.
    Yes, it's really frustrating and i can understand it gets you down. Hopefully you will turn that corner very soon. I think it is completely OKAY to be frustrated about it though for sure. sending all the good vibes :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by SherylP
    Shannon, I understand how you are feeling because I had similar issues with nausea, vomiting and weakness. I was extremely frustrated and started having regrets about doing the surgery. I increased my vitamin intake, started eating more Oikos yogurt, drinking Gatorade to increase my energy. Most importantly start exercising even if it is walking or riding a bike just get up and be active. Also increase your protein intake. It will get better and you will start to see results. Good luck.
    Thank you, SherylP. I appreciate the kind words of encouragement, as well as the recommendations. I have FINALLY come out of all of this feeling 100%. I am focused and righting the wrongs as we currently speak. I have, in fact, increased my protein intake by adding to my daily double scoop shake a Premier Protein Bar. By all accounts, that provides me with approximately 65-75 grams per day, food notwithstanding.
    I'm with you buddy, I just went back to work and am finding myself very weak and not able to work the way I used to. I don't regret the surgery, but i think i confused myself when I felt I had enough energy to return to work. I am now trying to increase my protein and make sure I do not forget any of my vitamins. Keep smiling, your doing great! We are all in this together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard182
    I'm with you buddy, I just went back to work and am finding myself very weak and not able to work the way I used to. I don't regret the surgery, but i think i confused myself when I felt I had enough energy to return to work. I am now trying to increase my protein and make sure I do not forget any of my vitamins. Keep smiling, your doing great! We are all in this together.
    Thank you for the support, Picard182. It means a great deal to me to know that there is such an amazing community out here that is more than willing to share insight, provide words of encouragement, and offer advice. As tough as it can be going through VSG surgery, having support is crucial to one's well-being.

You sound like you're doing everything right in an effort to combat the difficulties you are facing. Hang in there, and keep up the good work. It will all pay off.
    Honestly, it is Russian Roulette. You never know how it is going to affect you. Although the complication rates are very low...when you are experiencing many of them it can be a bit disheartening. Especially after watching your spouse sail through it. The good news is that eventually they will all pass and be a distant memory. The bad news is that when you are dealing with them you are miserable. Wishing you some much needed relief. Hang in there Shannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Honestly, it is Russian Roulette. You never know how it is going to affect you. Although the complication rates are very low...when you are experiencing many of them it can be a bit disheartening. Especially after watching your spouse sail through it. The good news is that eventually they will all pass and be a distant memory. The bad news is that when you are dealing with them you are miserable. Wishing you some much needed relief. Hang in there Shannon.
    Thank you for the words of encouragement, Christie13. They certainly do not fall upon deaf ears.

You're 100% correct in saying that it can be somewhat disheartening. But don't mistake it for regret. I am completely ecstatic about having been given this opportunity. But having hit most, if not all, of the side effect pitfalls, I sometimes feel as though I can't catch a break. I understand these issues will pass, and I anticipate the day it happens, however, while in the middle of it all, it feels like it will never subside.

Enough about that. Time to re-focus my efforts and live in the positive.