Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

BlueUmbrella

Lightbulb moment

Rate this Entry
I've been struggling lately, after my recent blog posts anyone who's read them will know I've been scratching my head as to where I'm going wrong.
Last night I was looking for recipes, menu ideas, that kind of thing when I came across a thread from a long time ago where the poster talked of being very hungry all the time. "That's just like me" I thought. I have been grazing a lot and the reason I've been grazing is because I never felt full and felt hungry all the darn time. I'd actually started to wonder if I was pregnant because I was hungry every hour.
In the old thread I was reading, someone suggested that there was no way the OP should be feeling hunger pains so soon after surgery and it was likely just heartburn or acid stomach. Well I thought, maybe that's me too? So this morning as usual I was feeling ravenous. Normally I'd have a couple of spoonfuls of cottage cheese to stop the hunger feelings, this morning instead I took a pepcid. Voila! The hunger pangs went away.
I've struggled with recognizing what hunger feels like for a while. When I say that I mean I know what hunger feels like, but I find it hard to differentiate it from other feelings. Hunger also feels like fear. My dad was this way too, stomach growling equaled fear. In the past I'd become frightened of hunger, because it was frightening! I was eating to ensure I didn't feel hungry a lot of the time.
Anyway hopefully this is going to help me change where I've been going wrong. Basically, more pepcid, less feeding the fear.

I feel like I've made zero sense.

Submit "Lightbulb moment" to Digg Submit "Lightbulb moment" to del.icio.us Submit "Lightbulb moment" to StumbleUpon Submit "Lightbulb moment" to Google

Comments

Oh I dunno, that seems to make a lot of sense! I know that some people eat because of anxiety, it's like a constant feeding to deal with the fearful feeling that can feel like hunger. You might be stumbling on some good stuff here. But yay for the peptid. we keep on learning don't we :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    Oh I dunno, that seems to make a lot of sense! I know that some people eat because of anxiety, it's like a constant feeding to deal with the fearful feeling that can feel like hunger. You might be stumbling on some good stuff here. But yay for the peptid. we keep on learning don't we :-)
    It's so weird to feel what feels like hungry all the time! But is in actual fact just stomach acid playing up. I feel like I should know the difference but I honestly don't, they feel the exact same way to me. What worries me is that I think because of the stomach acid I'm not feeling full either. I hope eventually the acid gets under control, I hate sucking antacid tablets they taste like chalk lol
    I so identify with this. I'm taking a daily prescription antacid but maybe I'll try taking it at different times. Thanks!
    Great post, BlueUmbrella!

One winter several years ago (pre-op) I swear I gained 20 pounds simply because I FORGOT to take my daily antacid pill (Ranitidine, which is similar to famotidine/Pepcid).

Did y'all know that for some of us stomach acid mimics not only hunger but anxiety. Anybody relate to that? Butterflies in the stomach?

For the newbies, if your surgeon hasn't given you a 6-month Rx post-op for an antacid (either an H2 blocker like Ranitidine or a PPI like Protonix), get them to write you a script for one. It can change so much -- in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2

One winter several years ago (pre-op) I swear I gained 20 pounds simply because I FORGOT to take my daily antacid pill (Ranitidine, which is similar to famotidine/Pepcid).

Did y'all know that for some of us stomach acid mimics not only hunger but anxiety. Anybody relate to that? Butterflies in the stomach?

For the newbies, if your surgeon hasn't given you a 6-month Rx post-op for an antacid (either an H2 blocker like Ranitidine or a PPI like Protonix), get them to write you a script for one. It can change so much -- in a good way.

This is so interesting Ann because i've heard this mentioned a lot. My surgeon said I only needed to take them for a couple of months but bugger that, I'll be taking them for a good while :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2

Ann this is so helpful, thank you SO much. I had no idea it could mimic anxiety, this is suddenly all clicking in my head now. Since my surgery I've been struggling with insomnia, so I haven't been sleeping much and I've been clenching my teeth a lot and given myself nightly headaches. This feeling is a huge ball of anxiety, stress, fear and hunger all in one. With 20/20 hindsight I can see this could have been the perfect recipe for vast amounts of weight gain.

My surgeon told me to make sure I had Gas-X and Pepcid ready for post-surgery, but I think perhaps I could do to ask for a Rx for something stronger. The pepcid works fine, but it isn't long after I've finished sucking it that the feelings of hunger and stress come back in full force. It really does remind me of being pregnant, that constant heartburn and frequent hunger.

Does the stomach acid issue resolve itself?