Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

hookydad

24 days Post Op

Rate this Entry
Well, it's done!! Went into the hospital at 5:30 am on a Monday and left at 5pm on Tuesday. In that short span of time, I can already tell my life has changed dramatically and for the better. I went into surgery weighing 354 and went to my two week follow-up weighing 332. Now I know things will not be that drastic all this time, but it sure is a positive feeling to know things are heading in the right direction!!

Recovery was not too big of a deal and things went fairly smooth other that a bout of Gout in both big Toes, my ankle, and my index finger on my right hand. Once we got that under control, I really felt normal. Thankfully, I have not had any nausea or anything like that. I defiantly know what people are talking about though about doing things to fast when it comes to eating or drink. Wow, that bites right in the middle of my chest.

I have made a personal decision to put away my scale and only weigh once a month. I have noticed many people on this forum getting stressed out about how they are either up or down, week by week, and getting stressed out about it. I figure, this is a long term thing so I am going to measure in long term ways. I will drive myself crazy if I worry about things week by week. I have enough to worry about trying to get all my food and drink in on a daily basis, let alone worry about the scale all the time.

Speaking of food, does anyone have any good ideas on food and ability to get calories in during the day. I never thought I would have to worry about not getting enough calories, but I am getting between 600 to 700 calories a day. Granted, I am getting my required amount of protein, but I don't want to eat things just get calories in and have them be empty calories.

Anyway, thought I would check in and appreciate the thoughts sent my way when I was leading up to VSG.

Have a great day everyone!

Submit "24 days Post Op" to Digg Submit "24 days Post Op" to del.icio.us Submit "24 days Post Op" to StumbleUpon Submit "24 days Post Op" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congrats to you lovely news to hear. It's hard to get the calories up at this stage and I'm just trying to concentrate on protein and water. How are you doing with those? Are you walking? I didn't do too much so far but went for a nice walk yesterday. Sounds like you are doing good :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    Congrats to you lovely news to hear. It's hard to get the calories up at this stage and I'm just trying to concentrate on protein and water. How are you doing with those? Are you walking? I didn't do too much so far but went for a nice walk yesterday. Sounds like you are doing good :-)
    Had not been walking much due to the Gout. Now that that is gone, my plan is to get out alot.

The water and protein is no problem. I was just concerned about the calories. I guess I'll just ease into it. Have not felt deprived once so must be doing things right!! Best of luck in your recovery and reclamation of life!!
    I was never told to worry about my calories as long as protein and fluid intake was good. I have not once counted calories. I know that as time progressed, if my weight loss slowed or stalled I knew that it was time to up my calorie intake. I would just eat a bit more protein. Problem solved. Are you on full solids now? If so, focus on meat/solid proteins and veggies. Avoid starchy/high carb veggies like potatoes, corn, and carrots. Now that the gout is gone go for the exercise. Some cardio and strength training. It helps to prevent loose skin. The more you do it...skin will slowly bounce back. I have noticed that mine continues to improve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    I was never told to worry about my calories as long as protein and fluid intake was good. I have not once counted calories. I know that as time progressed, if my weight loss slowed or stalled I knew that it was time to up my calorie intake. I would just eat a bit more protein. Problem solved. Are you on full solids now? If so, focus on meat/solid proteins and veggies. Avoid starchy/high carb veggies like potatoes, corn, and carrots. Now that the gout is gone go for the exercise. Some cardio and strength training. It helps to prevent loose skin. The more you do it...skin will slowly bounce back. I have noticed that mine continues to improve.
    Awesome! Thanks for the tips!