Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

Left Scratching My Head

Rate this Entry
A BIG thank you to everyone who responded and/or viewed this latest post (Update - Fluid Intake: 11/29/2017). After much consideration regarding this current situation, I am left scratching my head in wonder as to how I managed to get myself into such a predicament in the first place. I thought I was consuming adequate amounts of fluids, but after conversing with my wife about the events of yesterday, it was then that I realized I wasn't consuming the right amounts of liquids.

I now realize that the culprit behind my dehydration is my caffeine consumption. My understanding is that coffee acts as a dehydrant. As such, my daily coffee consumption needs to drastically be reduced, and my water intake needs to significantly increase. I know now that I should have realized this from the onset of my symptoms, but being hyperfocused on what was causing the problem was where my head was at. Not on the obvious.

In any event, I am not 100% as of yet, but I feel so much better. Again, thank you for the well wishes and kind thoughts. Each and every one of you are an integral part of an amazing community I am proud to participate in.

Submit "Left Scratching My Head" to Digg Submit "Left Scratching My Head" to del.icio.us Submit "Left Scratching My Head" to StumbleUpon Submit "Left Scratching My Head" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Just curious--how much coffee were you drinking? My surgeon has told me I'm not allowed to have any caffeine and I'm really struggling without my morning cup. However, I was told that de-caf coffee & tea "counts" toward my fluid consumption. Not sure this all makes sense since pre-op I drank quite a bit of regular & cold brew coffee and never had a problem. Anyway, sorry for your experience but thanks for adding any details.
    These updates are so good for everyone Shannon. I am totally trying to drink more water now as i think I was becoming a little bit slack.
    And Dale, i think i told you they didnt ban coffee for me so i think a morning cup would be fine! I know there is a difference of opinion in this but gawd, one cup!!! Ask your doc, they might take pity!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DHB
    Just curious--how much coffee were you drinking? My surgeon has told me I'm not allowed to have any caffeine and I'm really struggling without my morning cup. However, I was told that de-caf coffee & tea "counts" toward my fluid consumption. Not sure this all makes sense since pre-op I drank quite a bit of regular & cold brew coffee and never had a problem. Anyway, sorry for your experience but thanks for adding any details.
    What you said makes perfect sense. Thank you for sharing. To answer your questions...my caffeine consumption pre-op was quite substantial, however, that has been considerably reduced due to VSG. I usually have a mug in the morning and one again in the afternoon, but have since limited myself to just one a day after this incident took place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    These updates are so good for everyone Shannon. I am totally trying to drink more water now as i think I was becoming a little bit slack.
    And Dale, i think i told you they didnt ban coffee for me so i think a morning cup would be fine! I know there is a difference of opinion in this but gawd, one cup!!! Ask your doc, they might take pity!!!
    Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate them. As for the information I have provided...I fully understand that everyone has a different experience with their surgeon and surgery. However, if there is anything I can lend to the ongoing learning curve we are all experiencing, then I am more than happy to oblige.
    Glad to hear you are feeling better and found the culprit. I love my coffee. I make sure I drink enough water to allow for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon'sVSG
    Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate them. As for the information I have provided...I fully understand that everyone has a different experience with their surgeon and surgery. However, if there is anything I can lend to the ongoing learning curve we are all experiencing, then I am more than happy to oblige.
    Amen :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHB
    I drank decaf for like one sip right after I got home in 2012, it was so nasty I went right to the store and got regular and have never had a problem. With that said though I used to drink 3 "soup bowl" styles of cups in the morning but now I have a regular cup and I'm good. I might drink it later in the day but only when I want some french vanilla or hazelnut
    Quote Originally Posted by azladyrider
    I drank decaf for like one sip right after I got home in 2012, it was so nasty I went right to the store and got regular and have never had a problem. With that said though I used to drink 3 "soup bowl" styles of cups in the morning but now I have a regular cup and I'm good. I might drink it later in the day but only when I want some french vanilla or hazelnut
    Hi Sue!

I am quickly learning that there are some days my stomach can tolerate the caffeine, whereas others, not so much (today is a good example of that). I'm uncertain as to why this takes place, but I tend not to argue the fact, rather just go with the flow and function as the day dictates.