Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Stacey03

3 week update

Rate this Entry
Hallo!
So I'm now 3 weeks and 2 days out and what an amazing journey we are on!
Really I've had a pretty textbook recovery, ups and downs but generally ups. I have had fatigue for sure but I've really tried to accept that. Being a bit of a dynamo by nature it's been challenging but I have tried to have a lot of self care at this time.
I'm feeling much better after my therapist appointment when i was so upset about the dumping incident. I was so pleased to talk that out.
I'm still a bit limited on food and relying on 2 protein shakes a day, so i always get my protein, and eggs and tuna. I know I need to start expanding on that, and I know i feel a little anxious about it so I'm working on it. I'm going to make a plan!

I haven't done much exercise funnily enough (I am the exercise queen!) and I think it's because I have been pretty fatigued. But I am going to go for a walk soon and I'm sure I will be very pleased about it.
Also the other thing that has been a bit knocked for six is my hormones. I've been having some extra bleeding which has been quite heavy and troublesome... which might account for the not much exercise... but my partner who actually specialises in hormones has put me on some hormone replacement shamoz that should hopefully sort that out.

I think it also might account for why I've been a bit anxious too. It's not massively troubling but it's been noticable. I'm accepting that it's all part of the process and should settle down soon enough. I'm lucky i am so well looked after. And today I am feeling pretty good :-)

But overall gosh I am so thankful. It is the best feeling to be liberated from the whole food thing. it's so great to not feel hungry and not have concerns all the time about my weight and what I'm eating. I'm really grateful for it. I had a bit of a standstill on weight loss for a few days but i think it might be kicking off again.

So I'm going with the flow and I'm just riding out these ups and downs (they are not that bad honestly!) because y'know this is a whole big journey right?! It's really a time where we have to take care of ourselves and see the big picture.

I'm also really grateful for the good advice on this board, especially from the peeps who have been around a while. It's very reassuring to have that source of info. And I'm totally grateful to christie who has been such a great pal during this process. I still wish we lived in the same street!!
I'm always up for advice so throw anything you like at me! Especially about branching out into different foods.. I need that. I can't eat tuna and egg for the rest of my life!!

I'm also so excited for the people who are just having their surgery and Jeanious is especially in my thoughts today.

So it's all good and really I do have a great big smile on my face :-)

Submit "3 week update" to Digg Submit "3 week update" to del.icio.us Submit "3 week update" to StumbleUpon Submit "3 week update" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. DHB's Avatar
    You're doing so well! Today I went to Whole Foods (don't think you have that in Australia) and bought some really good quality deli salads--curry chicken and a ME tuna salad with artichoke hearts & olives. Since I'm pureeing everything anyway, I've learned I need to find lots of flavor before it all gets ground up. And I had a delicious birthday dinner of fresh scallops. Didn't have the heart to puree those but they were soft and I chewed them to mush before swallowing. So good.

    Also found a therapist who specializes in people who have had surgery so I'll see her next week. I am doing well but am losing slower than most and have this terrible feeling that I'll be one of those who aren't successful. Just can't shake the feeling that I'll fail at this and need some help to get my head straight.

    I am trying to walk 3mi/day (was doing at least that before surgery) but I do have the feeling that I run out of gas toward the end and am just putting one foot in front of the other.

    Only other real complication is I'm feeling a little brain fog. Since I'm not drinking coffee, I think my brain became dependent on that caffeine and can't quite make it without that boost. I see my surgeon next week and may beg for permission to have a cup.

    So glad you're a little ahead of me. I've learned so much from you and really appreciate your upbeat attitude!
  2. Truffles's Avatar
    I just came back from Costco with spinach/chickpea patties and tzatziki sauce. I also picked up some pate, too.
  3. Stacey03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DHB
    You're doing so well! Today I went to Whole Foods (don't think you have that in Australia) and bought some really good quality deli salads--curry chicken and a ME tuna salad with artichoke hearts & olives. Since I'm pureeing everything anyway, I've learned I need to find lots of flavor before it all gets ground up. And I had a delicious birthday dinner of fresh scallops. Didn't have the heart to puree those but they were soft and I chewed them to mush before swallowing. So good.

    Also found a therapist who specializes in people who have had surgery so I'll see her next week. I am doing well but am losing slower than most and have this terrible feeling that I'll be one of those who aren't successful. Just can't shake the feeling that I'll fail at this and need some help to get my head straight.

    I am trying to walk 3mi/day (was doing at least that before surgery) but I do have the feeling that I run out of gas toward the end and am just putting one foot in front of the other.

    Only other real complication is I'm feeling a little brain fog. Since I'm not drinking coffee, I think my brain became dependent on that caffeine and can't quite make it without that boost. I see my surgeon next week and may beg for permission to have a cup.

    So glad you're a little ahead of me. I've learned so much from you and really appreciate your upbeat attitude!
    OMG Dale... whole foods is life, I love it so much but alas we don't have it here in Australia, but when I'm in Vancouver I practically live in there and send us bankrupt!! Thanks so much for your kind words, i will do anything for a scallop!!! Hope you had a lovely birthday!
    The therapist sounds great and I rate therapists, can be so helpful, so i think that you will be successful but hurrah for the therapist along the way. everything helps. I've also just been out for a 5km walk so I feel good about that. YOU are doing so well too, you've been an absolute champ!!!! xx
  4. Stacey03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Truffles
    I just came back from Costco with spinach/chickpea patties and tzatziki sauce. I also picked up some pate, too.
    PATTIES!!!! What a good idea, i could make some! you know, I nearly picked up pate today then freaked outas i was afraid it might be fatty or something, I was a bit worried, what do you think? I never eat it generally but I was thinking its good for iron or something!!!
  5. Stacey03's Avatar
    Also Dale, in Australia they never ban caffine (well my practice anyway) but i've found that i have gone off tea and coffee a bit.
  6. pugtato's Avatar
    I look forward to your posts, Stacey. Because 1) it's very uplifting to see someone talking positively about how this surgery changed their life as opposed to talking negatively. Not that I see that much, but you put a twist on things and 2) You talk funny! (Kidding )

    All joking aside, I really am looking forward to becoming a new person. And I'll be sure to come back to every single one of your posts to get myself through it!
  7. Stacey03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pugtato
    I look forward to your posts, Stacey. Because 1) it's very uplifting to see someone talking positively about how this surgery changed their life as opposed to talking negatively. Not that I see that much, but you put a twist on things and 2) You talk funny! (Kidding )

    All joking aside, I really am looking forward to becoming a new person. And I'll be sure to come back to every single one of your posts to get myself through it!
    Haha I talk like I'm from south london in real life with a bit of kiwi and aussie thrown in LOL. When is your surgery? And yes staying positive is one of the best things while understanding that people get knocked about a bit sometimes. It's a big od journey eh :-)
  8. Truffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    PATTIES!!!! What a good idea, i could make some! you know, I nearly picked up pate today then freaked outas i was afraid it might be fatty or something, I was a bit worried, what do you think? I never eat it generally but I was thinking its good for iron or something!!!
    Well, the pate is fatty, however, I don't plan on eating a big hunk of it at one sitting. A spoonful of pate with some well-cooked veg and a pickled asparagus spear (they are crisp but soft at the same time) would make a nicely balanced purée meal. Just remember to put just a small bit of each on your tiny plate. The pate will certainly help the over-cooked veg taste better.
  9. Truffles's Avatar
    Plus, our bodies do need fat. Just be careful to not eat too much at once because it can be uncomfortable.
  10. Christie13's Avatar
    Aw thanks lovie. I'd love to be your coffee mate any day. You rock! Hormones can be really crazy for some people post op but they will stabilize. Hang in there. I know you like really all natural foods. The things that I ate a lot of in the early days was Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt (it is high protein, low sugar, low carbs), egg/tuna/chicken salad, beans, sandwich meat & cheese, boiled eggs, any solid protein like fish/chicken/beef/pork, cottage cheese.
    I never counted any calories or fat or worried about them. I only limited carbs. I did not count them though. I focused on protein and veggies. Avoided things that are nutritionally void. This process is easy but in the beginning we are so worried to screw it up we over think it. PM me your email and I will send you some paperwork my NUT gave me on the protein content of foods. It is wonderful. Tells you what you should eat plenty of (green), in moderation (yellow), and avoid (red). It makes things really simple. Big hugs!
  11. Truffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    and avoid (red). !
    It will be a dark day indeed if I couldn’t eat my beloved beets. You'll have to pry my pickled beets from my cold, dead hands. LOL
  12. Stacey03's Avatar
    HAHAHA Truffles!! You beet fan you :-)

    Thanks Christie, will do and I'm just going to eat everything you said lol! What is sandwich meat??? Is it an american thang???
    I'm feeling pretty good again today :-)
  13. pugtato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    Haha I talk like I'm from south london in real life with a bit of kiwi and aussie thrown in LOL. When is your surgery? And yes staying positive is one of the best things while understanding that people get knocked about a bit sometimes. It's a big od journey eh :-)
    Everyone who talks differently than me is weird, so don't worry. I'm from NJ, the pit of the USA (I love it though)

    Don't have a date yet, I have my first appointment with a dietitian on December 15th!
  14. Stacey03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pugtato
    Everyone who talks differently than me is weird, so don't worry. I'm from NJ, the pit of the USA (I love it though)

    Don't have a date yet, I have my first appointment with a dietitian on December 15th!
    Haha. Oh good luck with everything :-)