Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shannon'sVSG

Update - Fluid Intake

Rate this Entry
For those of you who saw my post yesterday entitled "Frustrated at 9 weeks (And for Good Reason)," you will know that there was some debate and/or concern regarding my well being and the reason(s) I am having nausea and vomiting issues. I would like to thank everyone who responded or took time out of their day to read my blog post. Your words of encouragement were very helpful.

I am home from the hospital now, and after having been given three liters of fluid, I would like to think that dehydration may have been the culprit behind my prolonged illness.

When I arrived I felt light-headed and nauseous, but was quickly ushered back by a nurse who was all too familiar with my kind of condition (it stems from living in the Southwest, wherein dehydration is common). But I digress. She is able to start an IV on the first attempt and begins the first of three liters of fluid as ordered by my surgeon. Four hours later, the liters are empty and I am sent home to face another three days of an all liquid diet as, again, ordered by my surgeon. I'm not quite sure for this reasoning, but he seems to know what he is talking about, so I will gladly oblige the directions with the first sips of soup broth. Hopefully I am well on my way to a full and expeditious recovery.

My advice as a result of all of this is to make sure you are consuming enough fluids throughout your day. I know it is difficult (I am living proof of this), but despite your limitations, drink, drink, drink. I would hate to think I went through this knowing what the outcome of poor fluid consumption is without sharing with all of you the importance of fluid intake. Allow me to be your shining example of what NOT to do.

Submit "Update - Fluid Intake" to Digg Submit "Update - Fluid Intake" to del.icio.us Submit "Update - Fluid Intake" to StumbleUpon Submit "Update - Fluid Intake" to Google

Tags: fluid intake Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Glad you found the answer.
    It's great to know from experience, that fluids are so important.
    Keep well from now on.
    Glad you're okay and thanks for the reminder. As a newbie, I am concentrating on getting enough protein in and then have the obligatory 30-45 min. wait and by then I've sometimes forgotten to drink until it's time to eat again. Fortunately (or not) I live in the cold NE so dehydration is probably less common, but I need to stay on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHB
    Glad you're okay and thanks for the reminder. As a newbie, I am concentrating on getting enough protein in and then have the obligatory 30-45 min. wait and by then I've sometimes forgotten to drink until it's time to eat again. Fortunately (or not) I live in the cold NE so dehydration is probably less common, but I need to stay on it.
    DHB, in the beginning fluids are more important than Protein. As you heal it will get easier to be able to do both. Take Care
    Glad your on the mend. Hopefully you won’t have any more problems. Thanks for sharing your story, it will help others just starting or getting ready to have surgery I’m sure. Take Care
    Oh Shannon i'm so pleased and i hope you have a speedy recovery. It is so good that we all share this kind of thing to help each other. this is such a learning process and it's so wonderful to have stories and support from other people. Take care and get those brothy electrolytes in as they will be all over the shop!! Let us know how you go and i hope you feel a million dollars soon :-)
    Sometimes, it is easier to drink warm/hot fluids, like herbal teas, than plain water.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Thanks for the update!
    I am glad that your problems were only caused by drinking too little.
    A good reminder for all of us.
    Hope you feel better soon!
    I agree with Truffles. In the first month or so it was easier for me to drink warm or room temperature fluids. I drank a lot of tea. It helped me a lot.
    Good to hear from you, Shannon. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Experience of all kinds is a good thing. The more we learn, the more we know, eh?