Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

BlueUmbrella

Little update on my post about thinking I was getting a UTI

Rate this Entry
Little update.
Ended up in Urgent Care one morning after going from "hmm this feels uncomfortable" in the morning to being doubled over, in tears from the pain in the evening. I am so beyond grateful for my health insurance. Anyway so yes UTI it is. The doctor prescribed me some antibiotics but warned me that they were powerful meds and I was likely going to feel absolutely rotten on them. I spent the rest of the day trying to drink as much water as humanly possible and googling "cranberry juice" and things like that.

The doctor was right, the antibiotics were no joke. I'd take them and feel so ill I needed to lie down in bed and turn all the lights off. A couple of times my heart would beat irregularly and feel like it was ricocheting around my ribcage, but the antibiotics have a side effect of muscle spasms, so I guess that was the cause.
It's 10 days later now and I've finished the course of antibiotics (thank goodness) but I still need to go and get checked to make sure the infection is gone. It feels like it's still there, just a little, but maybe it takes time to go.

Anyway, because of this and being pretty fresh out of surgery, I haven't been eating enough. At all. For the first time in my life I need to actually take on board more calories. Easier said than done. But I'm getting there slowly. Putting PB Fit into my protein shakes is helping but it's taking me a long time to get them down. This isn't translating into weight loss either, if anything I think eating less has probably slowed it down.

I know I need to get out and exercise but I'm finding that difficult to get round to. Can't afford a gym membership at the moment and I have a little girl I have to pick up from school everyday and be at home for. We have no family within a 100 mile radius. I'm envious of people who live near their families and sometimes wonder why I ended up so far away from everything and everyone I grew up with. But staying in the same place was just never my thing, especially when I was younger. I think as I'm getting older I'm feeling the pull to familiarity more.

I've been thinking about going walking but honestly, the thought of going walking in the cold weather isn't exactly making me run to put my sneakers on. I'll figure it out. Maybe New York won't have a harsh winter this year and it won't be so cold.

Submit "Little update on my post about thinking I was getting a UTI" to Digg Submit "Little update on my post about thinking I was getting a UTI" to del.icio.us Submit "Little update on my post about thinking I was getting a UTI" to StumbleUpon Submit "Little update on my post about thinking I was getting a UTI" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm so glad you got that sorted, but do mention to the doc if you think it's still there. Walking sounds good and you will soon warm up once you're out there. your biggest step is just going out of the door, build it up slowly so it doesn't feel like a chore.
    I know what you mean about the stall because ive been in one for a week at least but everything I've read says ignore it so I'm trying to. I hope you feel much better soon :-)
    Hopefully your UTI is all gone. Yes, get your calories in. It is so important right now. As for exercise, there are lots of free exercise videos no youtube. You should check them out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Hopefully your UTI is all gone. Yes, get your calories in. It is so important right now. As for exercise, there are lots of free exercise videos no youtube. You should check them out!

That's a really good idea, thanks Christie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03
    I'm so glad you got that sorted, but do mention to the doc if you think it's still there. Walking sounds good and you will soon warm up once you're out there. your biggest step is just going out of the door, build it up slowly so it doesn't feel like a chore.
    I know what you mean about the stall because ive been in one for a week at least but everything I've read says ignore it so I'm trying to. I hope you feel much better soon :-)
    I'm about 5 weeks post-op and am still stalled. It's a bummer to get on the scale and it hasn't moved and I'm honestly not sure what else I should be doing. I guess I just need to get more calories and start moving...I don't know. Getting more calories/eating more food just feels so wrong! After a lifetime of overeating, now trying to get more food in during my day in order to lose weight is making my head hurt lol

I walked 2 miles yesterday, and that felt good. Can't say I'm not going to do it every single day, but it's a start at least.
    Wow! You've been through a lot. Take care, worry less and keep up the protein.
    I'm sure you're in safe hands with the medical team. Please, take care!
    Hope you feel better soon! Don't worry about your weight right now, in fact get rid of your scale. Worry about recovering. Try to get in your minimum protein and liquids to get your strength back.

As far as exercise, all you need is warm clothes, a good pair of shoes, and the motivation to get yourself out of the door. You will find winter is magical! Remember that Gilmore Girls quote?

Lorelai: Wait, close your eyes and breathe. I smell snow.
    Rory: Ah, it's that time of year.
    Lorelai: Can't you smell it?
    Rory: You know, it's like dogs and high-pitched noises. I think it's something only you can smell.
    Lorelai: I love snow.
    Rory: Really, I had no idea.
    Lorelai: Everything's magical when it snows, everything looks pretty. The clothes are great. Coats, scarves, gloves, hats.

I swear by my Land's End down coat, with layers underneath (Walmart has cute polartec fleece long undies), a hat, boots, and gloves. You'll be cozy. And extra lucky if it snows.