Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

DesertGal

8 months out

Rate this Entry
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! On Friday, day after thanksgiving day, will be my 8th month anniversary since surgery.

I have lost 102 and am holding steady. I am very happy with this amount lost, so if this is it... this is it and I am MORE than OK with it.

I know 'they' (surgeons/nutritionists) said that MOST of the hunger hormone -ghrelin- gets removed, but mine must have used google maps to find it's way back home to me. My appetite has increased drastically over the past couple of months but I have been good about it. I have caved occasionally with a few town house flatbread crisps but haven't reverted back to my former fat-way-of-eating... and don't plan on it. But I notice I am hungrier. I attributed a lot of it to the jogging I started doing (and had to stop 2 weeks ago due to my hip killing me) and I am at zumba 4 days a week and burning calories. So I understand needing some more caloric intake. But the craving for carbs seem to be inching in and I am doing my best to go for the protein bar, or protein drink, or eating a chicken breast.

All in all, I do not feel like I am now 60 years old (turned it on November 8th) and my hip feels better so I may jog tomorrow morning and on Thanksgiving morning to see how it's doing. I am still learning with my new tool and it's a work in progress. I am a work in progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MeKimmicrop.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	632.9 KB 
ID:	27228

Submit "8 months out" to Digg Submit "8 months out" to del.icio.us Submit "8 months out" to StumbleUpon Submit "8 months out" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wonderful and inspiring to me. Congratulations on your new way of life. I hope that some of my joint pain will lessen when I am not carrying around so much weight.
    I had to start eating carbs again. I needed to due to the amount of exercise I was doing. I don't feel hungry unless it is time for me to eat. Maybe you are not eating enough??
    Christie, knowing me, I'm probably not eating enough (same story since surgery). I start out ok in the a.m. but by late afternoon, I am hungry!!!! And I'm cold now, something new for me. No more fat!

Simplyseahorse, I have RA and fibromyalgia and my ra joint pains are gobe!! Ive been on meds for a couple years but that extra 100+ lbs was a killer. Fi ro pains are acting up but I can live with it.
    My pains are gone...
    DesertGal-
    I am inspired by your writing...and your progress! If I lose 100 pounds, I will be so happy! I am 65 so I am older but the fact that you are just 60 helps. What changes are you seeing otherwise? Are you experiencing a down-side to this surgery?
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by yizbieta
    DesertGal-
    I am inspired by your writing...and your progress! If I lose 100 pounds, I will be so happy! I am 65 so I am older but the fact that you are just 60 helps. What changes are you seeing otherwise? Are you experiencing a down-side to this surgery?
    Thank you
    The only down side is that I don't seem to really enjoy most foods anymore. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that I can't inhale my food like my stomach is a garbage chute and I have to eat much much smaller amounts, but most foods I sit down to eat, they just don't taste the same. (I did just learn that the eye drop medication I have been using for a year- XIIDRA- causes you to lost taste and loss of flavor, but this is more that I never have a feeling of when I am going to be FULL... it just happens after 1/2 cup of food (?). and I either feel sick instantly or I lose the food. I have no warning of becoming full like before. That's one reason I still have to measure (by eyeballing it) to 1/2 - 3/4 cups of food per meal.

I LOVE everything else... the ability to walk a few miles daily without huffing and puffing; to jog; to dance in Zumba for an hour without getting winded at all; the smaller clothing sizes; and how I feel physically. No more excess weight hanging off my bones. I still do double takes when passing a mirror (especially my bathroom mirror which is rather large): IS that really me? Where is my rear-end? LOL! My gut has shrunk down so much... is this me?

AS I posted, the hunger has come back and it is hard at times to not want to shove crackers into my mouth, but I am working hard to keep up on my healthier eating. I'm a work in progress but so far, I'm very pleased.