Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Stacey03

All things bowels!!!

Rate this Entry
Well, this is often a question that comes up and post any surgery bowels can be a pain in the bum!!! Being a nurse I don't get too upset with bowel conversation and i have been known to bang on and on about bowel care and even suggest that I would like to care for the bowel habits of world leaders, as I think it really does have an effect on how people conduct themselves!!! It can cause moodiness, confusion (especially in the elderly) and all kinds of things, so we must look after them!!! Yes!
Here are some hot tips!
Caveat: ALWAYS ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR OWN HEALTH PROVIDERS INSTRUCTIONS! ASK THEM. CALL THEM. THATS WHAT THEY ARE THERE FOR!!! Also you may have a medical condition that we do not know a thing about!
Use a good toilet position - Lean forward while sitting on the toilet, with a straight back and your forearms on your thighs. Your feet should be raised so that your legs are angled slightly upward and away from your body. A footstool may help you to find the best angle.
Regular exercise.
Drink plenty of water.
People get upset about squat toilets but gosh i wish we had more, they are the best!!!
We could add fibre to this. Ask your own surgeon but I'm allowed to use fibre in my water, it's a tastless, non thickening powder called benifibre here in Australia. Handy. I can also take coloxyl stool softeners.
I did manage to empty my bowels on day 2 or 3 but to be fair it was like kangaroo or wombat poos!!! I decided then to take control from the off, so I've used the benefibre and the stool softners regularly since. My bowels are thankful for it for sure. I think it's not a bad idea to jump on it in good time and drinking protein is totally constipating.
My bowels they are smiling! Phew!
Also ladies, I cant help but add this... do your pelvic floor exercises!! Attach them to something, so like every time you make a cup of tea, or everytime you do something that is regular. Pelvic floor and bowels are very connected... aim to pull them up under your chin ;-)
And finally.... if you have bowel or bladder problems please get referred to a physiotherapist who deals with this particular issue because they are amazing and can do heaps to help :-)
I hope everyones bowels are behaving :-)

Submit "All things bowels!!!" to Digg Submit "All things bowels!!!" to del.icio.us Submit "All things bowels!!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "All things bowels!!!" to Google

Comments

The constipation is real for many sleevers. Thanks for sharing. And I agree with poop positions. I have a “squatty potty” to aid with this and love it. I had the perfect size still for years that I’d had since childhood. On one of my moves it got lost. Saddest day ever. It was my poop stool.
    How do you deal with the poo position while you're at work? What's a squat toilet? I'm not sure we have those here in the US, LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by pugtato
    How do you deal with the poo position while you're at work? What's a squat toilet? I'm not sure we have those here in the US, LOL
    Haha I know, wouldn't it be nice if we could carry the little stool around with us for our feet!!! Might get questions though!!! Squat toilets you often find in other countries, just the hole in the floor, it's actually a much better way to go but not popular in western countries! Shame!
    I feel for you on the loss of your step Christie!!! They are handy!!! :-)