Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Stacey03

Coffee shots and heparin injections and pre op diet

Rate this Entry
So I picked up a couple of boxes of clexane (heparin) today. It's a blood thinning injection that I have to have every day for a month starting the night before surgery. I shall just stab myself in the belly every night. It stops all the nasty things like blood clots after surgery.
I also discovered a way to make the chocolate optifast shake a little more palatable. I put it in the vitamix with ice and a little bit of water and a shot of espresso. Taaaa daaa. This has changed my life!
Now I know that in America they often say no caffine so DO WHAT YOUR DOCTOR SAYS!
Here they say its fine. That must be because we hav the best coffee in the world ;-)
Iwas in Vancouver last year and I had no end of trouble getting a flat white. i was ordering and coming out all confused with a big bucket of milk and flavourings. We tend to drink small coffees here, with just a bit of milk or staight black. Eventually i found an Australian in whole foods and she sorted me right out. i went back every day lol.
In saying that though, i do have some friends who are keen on starbucks and like the big flavoured ones.
The pre op diet is fine, Im day 3 now and just had a headache last night for a while. I seem okay today.
I might put some spice or chilli or something in my appetising optifast soup tonight to make it fancy pants. its really tricky to like this one but I am being so cheerful about it all! Yes!
It's all about the attitude. Thats my motto in life. Except on the days when my attitude sucks, but that isn't too often.
Who is coming up for surgery in Nov?
Who is on the pre op diet?
Who has got handy tips to make optifast soup sensational!!!?

Submit "Coffee shots and heparin injections and pre op diet" to Digg Submit "Coffee shots and heparin injections and pre op diet" to del.icio.us Submit "Coffee shots and heparin injections and pre op diet" to StumbleUpon Submit "Coffee shots and heparin injections and pre op diet" to Google

Comments

My husband gave me those shots everyday, no way could I do it myself.

This whole journey is all about the positive attitude! Have fun with it. Believe me, there is nothing more fun than watching the weight fall off. Excited for you! As for the pre-op diet, it sucks, just know it's not forever. I would play with food, like freeze the chocolate shakes and pretend I was eating a Wendy's frosty.
    Sraebaer,
    Oh I don't blame you, they are a bit stingy those shots as they go in!
    I found that if I do the shake with ice mostly its like a slushie.It all helps!
    Thank you for the good wishes :-)
    Oh no. I did not give up my coffee. My doctor never said I needed to so I didn't. If I had to give up my coffee I think I would have cried. LOL. I started making my espresso with the Fa!rlife milk since it is higher in protein, lower in sugar, and lactose free. Love it. I never had to take blood thinners. Is it just a general practice there in Australia or due to a special medical condition?
    Oh its just general practice here Christie... after any surgey we give it but we do generally stop when they leave hospital. I think they do recommend it longer for weight loss surgery though as a best practice thang. I dont quite know why, extra cautious i guess, there will be a study somewhere that has suggested it ;-)
    I shall just think of my blood flowing around nicely lol!
    And coffee!!! Yes I am happy about that. I must buy some shares in that milk company of yours ;-)
    I had to have the shots here in the US, I don't remember how long or how many, but it was to prevent blood clots after surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    I had to have the shots here in the US, I don't remember how long or how many, but it was to prevent blood clots after surgery.
    That's right. I will just do what I am told :-)
    One month seems a bit long, but at least, better safe than sorry. In France usually it's two weeks, in Asia where I had surgery they usually don't do it because people already have a thin blood (and that's mostly because of what they eat...lots of cabbage). All that to say that I had only 3 days of injections because I had my surgery in Asia (and had an history of pulmonary embolism during pregnancy so they made an exception). The only thing I would say is watch what you eat/drink, avoid cranberry juice, cabbage, pomelos/grape fruit etc...because those can actually get your blood even thinner with the medication, I had some bad side effect a few years ago. Take care!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    One month seems a bit long, but at least, better safe than sorry. In France usually it's two weeks, in Asia where I had surgery they usually don't do it because people already have a thin blood (and that's mostly because of what they eat...lots of cabbage). All that to say that I had only 3 days of injections because I had my surgery in Asia (and had an history of pulmonary embolism during pregnancy so they made an exception). The only thing I would say is watch what you eat/drink, avoid cranberry juice, cabbage, pomelos/grape fruit etc...because those can actually get your blood even thinner with the medication, I had some bad side effect a few years ago. Take care!
    Thanks Sandra, I think it depends on the surgeon. I shall avoid the cabbages!! Lol :-)