Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Stacey03

From endoscopy to sleeve and beyond! Low BMIs might be interested.

Rate this Entry
HI,
I think these blogs are really great for new people to read and get to see the experience from someone elses point of view. I've really enjoyed reading Christies blog especially so I thought this is a good time to start one.
I am having my sleeve in 15 days and today is the endoscopy. I'm not too worried about it as hopefully I won't remember it and people on this site have been very reassuring.
My story is .... I've always struggled with obesity since being a child. Fortunatly my mother made us ultra sporty so we were always at sport. This probaly saved me from being obese and I was probaly just on the upper end of being overweight.
Nevertheless weight has been a struggle forever and I have certainly had times of being obese. Most of my life I have been on a diet and all of the time it never worked.
Around 4 years ago I lost 40 kg. I didn't diet. I just changed my lifestyle, i never ate anything with a barcode on it and i just ate real food. I also started running.
And I lost 40 kg. And I have kept that up, the good eating and the running and gym stuff. It's a miracle I've kept that up when you look at the stats on weightloss but I think my love of sport has helped and also having a health concious family. We run together. We run on holidays, we eat lentils and stuff :-)
Now you might ask 'why the hell is she having a gastric sleeve?'
Well see I'm still obese. I can't get my body under the point I'm at.
Despite running half marathons, crossfit 3 times a week and healthy eating. Im still obese. I cant get below a certain point despite every effort.
So I'm a lower BMI... like 33 or something AND I have put back on around 5 kg in the last year.
I'm always hungry, I think I've been hungry since I was born!
I'm living proof that we do not understand obesity. If it was about exercise and calories in calories out I should be size 2!!
So I'm having the sleeve. It wasnt a quick process, I had thought about it for maybe a year, researched everything and I am so ready.
For me this is a natural progression. It will fix the problems I have had for the last 4 years in loosing that last bit of weight. In terms of health, I don't want to be at risk of all the lifestyle diseases because of my weight.
I also want to look cuter when I run!!!! ;-)
Im off for my last cup of tea before I have to fast for my endoscopy. Who thought an afternoon appointment was a good idea! It wasnt me!
I will let you know how it goes.

Submit "From endoscopy to sleeve and beyond! Low BMIs might be interested." to Digg Submit "From endoscopy to sleeve and beyond! Low BMIs might be interested." to del.icio.us Submit "From endoscopy to sleeve and beyond! Low BMIs might be interested." to StumbleUpon Submit "From endoscopy to sleeve and beyond! Low BMIs might be interested." to Google

Comments

I totally get it! I have pretty much always been active. If I worked out a lot and watched all my intake I would sit at 160...which on my 4'11" frame is still obese. (32.3 BMI) I have been a yo-yo dieter. As soon as I stopped dieting I would gain. I also was always hungry. And I gained a lot of weight after my mother passed in 2015. So I was at my heaviest and figured it was time to make my weight loss permanent. My sister was sleeved in 2011 so I knew all about the process and saw how successful she was. I was actually jealous of her after she had her sleeve because it was so easy for her to keep the weight off. I would have been sleeved sooner if I could. I was at around a 37 BMI after my pre op diet. I absolutely am glad I did this. Good luck to you! I know you will love your sleeve.
    WE ARE ACTUALLY PRACTICALLY TWINS CHRISTIE!!!!
    I know, I'm so excited, I just know it is so completely the right thing xxx
    Welcome, and good luck to you! I always appreciate reading and learning from the great blogs on here. I look forward to following yours.
    Oh thanks Cherbear, I will try to do them as I go along.And I don't know anything yet as I've not got my op for 2 weeks ish. There are people here who are quite far post sleeve and its really great to hear their views on things so check them out! I think also that I should remind everyone that i'm in Australia so things may be a little different here, but not too much. Have you had any surgery?
    Stacey, I wish you all the best in the world on your WLS journey. Your commitment, as demonstrated in the past, will surely support you on this new path. Ultimately, it's ALL about creating and living a new lifestyle.
    Thanks Ann, I do feel really prepared and hopeful and i agree, it really is a lifestyle change thing. I feel grateful that I have spent the last few years putting that in place. I was thinking the other day that I wished i had done it 20 years ago, but really 20 years ago i was not where i am now in terms of fitness and lifestyle. so maybe I needed to get that sorted first.
    It's led me to this place and I probably couldnt be in a better place to start on it all.
    I'm so excited and I'm really keen to stick around here for the long term (if you will have me lol) as I think its so great to see peoples long term journeys.
    I think it was Cal the other day that was saying to me he wondered if there was really success long term. I think there is. And I think that some people have struggle.
    I've been thinking about how much harder it must be in America. Like just the food lifestyle, in terms of fast food, we have that here too but nothing like. I've read about whole generations of families brought up on fast food and this such a deep subject that includes poverty and a host of other things. It's so tough for some people.
    Like I say Australia is getting more that way. Anyway we could probably talk about that for hours!
    Thanks so much for your well wishes Ann and for all your fab advice that i see xx