Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

SpringRose

Desk Job Struggles!

Rate this Entry
With my first desk job, I find myself at a top weight in two years. I am trying to incorporate more workouts and eating healthy. I found out recently that Zoloft (prescribed at my husband lost his job and we nearly lost our home) may have contributed to part of my belly fat. However, I know some of this is my diet and lack of activity.

In May, I started my first full-time desk job. The pay is incredible but the suffering my body is taking is horrible. It is nasty for my major back issues and the pounds just keep creeping up. Going to the gym after work makes me feel guilty since my children are home alone for 30 minutes (ages 8-12). Yet in the morning I continue to hit snooze until it's too late to go.

I know it is mostly minded over matter, but I am struggling. I don't know if it's the Zoloft (I am being taken off SLOWLY), or just so many changes in the last 6 months (moving from my hometown for the first time, nearly losing our home, a car wreck in July that I am still seeing the chiropractor for, the death of my brother, not being able to go into the grad program I desire, or the 44 hours of work in a desk--standup desk is not an option).

Anyone has some suggestions? Do you have, or know someone, with a desk job that has found the right fit?

I need to get these extra pounds off but more importantly, I need to get muscle back. It helps my back pain and my anxiety SOOO much.

Thanks,
Spring

Submit "Desk Job Struggles!" to Digg Submit "Desk Job Struggles!" to del.icio.us Submit "Desk Job Struggles!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Desk Job Struggles!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

The secretary at our school has an adjustable desk where she can stand when she wants (not an option? Even for health situations?), and also her desk chair is basically one of those big balls you see at the gym attached to a chair, which would work your core while sitting.

While working, I did get in the habit of waking up an hour early for a morning run. While it sounds horrible, I actually did have more energy and felt better during the day. In other words, I was less tired than if I had slept that extra hour.

Just some ideas. I totally understand the struggle, especially with children. (Mine are grown, so I don't have that problem, but my daughter sure does. She said she is only able to go to the gym on Saturday, and then aches all week!)

I too am struggling with some regain, and continual pain from a broken neck. But we just have to push through "life" and try to put ourselves first. Good luck, we can do it!

PS. in your profile photo you look perfect! Thin and beautiful!
    Just a thought, Why not go exercise with your children. You could go for a hike in a nearby park, walk around the neighborhood, ride bikes together. They would be with mom and all of you would get some fresh air and exercise.

At work try walking the longer way to your destination. If you're going to the restroom, use one further away if possible. Park farther away from the building. If you look online they have desk exercises you could try.
    I currently work a desk job...I go to the gym whenever I please since I'm childless.

However, back in the days when going to the gym was time-consuming, I worked out at home. I went on neighborhood jogs early in the morning (before work) or late at night (after work).

I also have a makeshift home gym with a barbell, weight plates, bench, resistance bands, and adjustable dumbbells.
    Thank you, guys!
    I go get in about 4 miles a week with the kids. This helps a little. But not enough to combat so many sitting hours.
    I like the idea of a home gym and desk ball ����. My core is absolutely weak compared to 6 months ago.
    I get the gym only once a week. That’s my issue. I do all my workouts hard core classes n the weekend and then hurt all week ��.
    Standing at my desk would be GREAT! Maybe I can convince them somehow. Even if we invest in a laptop. I have two monitors but don’t need them 70% of the time.
    Morning runs sound like the best. How did you get into the routine?
    Thank you for all the advice. ❤️
    I got into the routine when my body settled at a weight (140s range) that I did not want to remain at. I'm only 5'1" and 140+ pounds looked somewhat thick on me.

Five days a week of running was enough to shock my body into losing again.
    Do you get breaks? I get 2 a day for 20 minutes and I take a speed walk during that time. It has helped me get my steps in. Also little changes like parking farther in parking lots helps a bit. It all adds up in the end. Do you like workout videos? You can do those at home. Or do you have a park you can take the kids to that you can work out in? I've seen a lot of those that have stations for adults so you can be with your kids while doing them. But honestly, I would not feel guilty about 30 minutes. You have to be able to take care of yourself to take care of your family! Us moms are guilty of always putting ourselves on the back burner. Good luck.
    yeah like others said, I know I work in a hospital and I do walks when I can, I also go walking with my patients I work with. Can you also get a fit bit, or just do 30 minutes of exercise through the shift, just do a like 1-2 for your shift. I know I work from 7.5 hour to 16 hours in a day. I do lost of walking, like right now and when I was at home, I walked 10,936 and did walk 17 flights of stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringRose
    Thank you, guys!
    I go get in about 4 miles a week with the kids. This helps a little. But not enough to combat so many sitting hours.
    I like the idea of a home gym and desk ball 👊🏻. My core is absolutely weak compared to 6 months ago.
    I get the gym only once a week. That’s my issue. I do all my workouts hard core classes n the weekend and then hurt all week 😂.
    Standing at my desk would be GREAT! Maybe I can convince them somehow. Even if we invest in a laptop. I have two monitors but don’t need them 70% of the time.
    Thank you for all the advice. ❤️
    I got into running with baby steps. Forever I just walked a 3 mile route, then I started running just the downhills, a little later added the flat parts, and lastly the hills. I would say working up to running three miles took me at least a month or two. As far as getting into the routine, you just have to do it. After a while it becomes a habit and is no longer "work." I did buy a nice light as it's dark at 5 am, and learned to dress for the weather from other runners. In the winter they told me to dress like it's about 10 degrees warmer than the temp. Worked.