Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

BarbGiebel

Protein bars and emotional issues after surgery

Rate this Entry
Looking for a recommendation for protein bars for an easy go to breakfast when I am able to eat that.
I have been reading about emotional/hormonal issues post surgery. Can anyone shed light on this?

Submit "Protein bars and emotional issues after surgery" to Digg Submit "Protein bars and emotional issues after surgery" to del.icio.us Submit "Protein bars and emotional issues after surgery" to StumbleUpon Submit "Protein bars and emotional issues after surgery" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I liked the Atkins Lift chocolate peanut butter ones. I can say that you should really limit protein bars, though. I always kept them on me in my purse in a Ziploc so that I could have a bite if I felt hungry but I never ate them in their entirety. You should really focus on real foods. Meat and veggies. High protein milk and yogurt. Cheese. Etc.
    I too try to focus on food, but use the protein bars when I am in a hurry or on the road. But I know my tummy feels better when I start my day out with 2 eggs than then I have a protein bar.

As far as recommendations, I would try individual ones before buying a box of them. See what you like. I like the non-chocolate ones.
    I have tried a variety it really depends on what you like as long as you stay in the guidelines. I like RX and Quest, I also have tried NuGo which is decent as well. But like Christie13 said I use them as a snack and put in a baggy in my purse to get me through until I can have a proper meal.

As far as the depression/hormonal changes I see that some people had none and I was a disaster, I had to go on a vitamin regime just to get myself back in some what of a resemblance of me again. However I also had a very difficult surgery (I was in the hospital for 6 days) so I would attribute some of how I was feeling to that.
    Not a fan of protein bars but I do like Unjury protein powders.

As far as emotional issues after surgery I was a complete mental patient to the point at times I thought I should be committed, no joke. I had just had my very last period which ended the day before surgery so menopause was a huge factor. I also think by me going to Mexico by myself although I was perfectly fine while I was there, once I got home it was like I was having a mini breakdown. I was crying non-stop, fighting with Family, feeling all alone in this so all in all I had a very hard time. With that said it lasted about a month and all of the sudden I was back to the old me again. Menopause was most likely the biggest factor of all in this equation but I got through it and it never happened again. Remember that hormones can wreak havoc on a persons mind and throw your normal balance completely off kilter. If you have a good support system and your aware of any behavioral changes you can get help by seeing your Dr.. My primary care Dr. helped me tremendously and she changed around some medication I was on so that was a life saver. I will tell you that I have suffered from depression my entire adult life, nothing severe but I have been known to get weepy and feel isolated at times so I am sure that also added to what was going on with me. If you are one of the lucky one's that does not have this disease then chances are you will be just fine. I will say you did ask a very good question because it never crossed my mind before surgery about having emotional issues after the fact and perhaps if I was aware of the possibility I may have handled it allot better. Anyway I wish you the best of luck in your journey and I will tell you aside from the emotions I had no other issues whatsoever and 2 1/2 years later I still know that this surgery was the BEST decision of my life! Good luck!