Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

gopostal24

3 Weeks Post Op Today - Can't Eat My Feelings

Rate this Entry
Just wanted to do a little check-in now that I am 3 weeks post-surgery. It feels like forever and yesterday, I must say. Things are generally going well. I am in pureed foods and most I tolerate well but eggs (my family owned an egg farm when I was a kid) have been enemy number one. My stomach is still a bit sore and my energy lags a bit, but dropping 34 pounds and NEVER FEELING hunger with minimal side effects has been a blessing.

I think one of the most difficult things for me is to admit that I am an emotional eater. The slightest provocation of my apparently very frail psyche and I want to bury my face into white flour and sugar. Obviously that is now impossible and for anyone who can relate to eating even when you don't want to just to mask emotional pain, it is a very welcome relief, similar to the day you notice when your cold goes away. Poof! Gone!

However, I can see how it can manifest in other ways and here I must be careful. One of my non-food defense mechanisms is getting sleepy. I even used to fall asleep in psychotherapy if the session got to ummm real (haha). So, combined with being on a restricted diet which can be exhausting in and of itself, I tend to drag a lot during the day, especially if I find myself ruminating on my future (one that I still can't picture the new me in yet). The best advice I have received so far is to focus on this great project I have undertaken (WLS) and leave everything else to deal with later when I am further along in this journey. I find that very useful (although I didn't take much of that advice while watching hurricane coverage all day). But tomorrow starts a new day. I have a DR visit tomorrow, and it will be a new day and a new unlimited opportunity to make the best of everything. I think I am going to fly my kite on the beach tomorrow to celebrate!

Submit "3 Weeks Post Op Today - Can't Eat My Feelings" to Digg Submit "3 Weeks Post Op Today - Can't Eat My Feelings" to del.icio.us Submit "3 Weeks Post Op Today - Can't Eat My Feelings" to StumbleUpon Submit "3 Weeks Post Op Today - Can't Eat My Feelings" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi there and congrats on finding the nerve to do what Im scared shitless to do. But Im going to. How do you have an appt. with Dr. tomorrow? is it with your home doc or Mexico? Do you have to have a passport to have this done in mexico?
    Congrats on your weight loss. I was also an emotional eater. Something just clicked in me post op. Now when I feel like binging I either go for a walk (if I am at work) or run (if I am at home). This works for me. Especially the running. When I run, I plug in my headphones, jam out to my music, and think about whatever it is that is bothering me. It is very therapeutic. And it keeps me fit and happy. Find an activity that works for you when you feel the urge to eat emotionally. I can tell you in the beginning it is hard to do but eventually you will be able to eat more and one of the easiest things to eat is slider foods. Those consist of anything that can create a mush in your belly because it will not fill you up. Things like sweets, chips, ice cream etc will slide right down. So try to find something that works for you now. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by anewbeginning
    Hi there and congrats on finding the nerve to do what Im scared shitless to do. But Im going to. How do you have an appt. with Dr. tomorrow? is it with your home doc or Mexico? Do you have to have a passport to have this done in mexico?

I did not have it done in Mexico - but in my hometown of Long Beach, California. I saw my home doc and he seemed to think everything was all good...even washed the surgery glue off which I didn't even know I had on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Congrats on your weight loss. I was also an emotional eater. Something just clicked in me post op. Now when I feel like binging I either go for a walk (if I am at work) or run (if I am at home). This works for me. Especially the running. When I run, I plug in my headphones, jam out to my music, and think about whatever it is that is bothering me. It is very therapeutic. And it keeps me fit and happy. Find an activity that works for you when you feel the urge to eat emotionally. I can tell you in the beginning it is hard to do but eventually you will be able to eat more and one of the easiest things to eat is slider foods. Those consist of anything that can create a mush in your belly because it will not fill you up. Things like sweets, chips, ice cream etc will slide right down. So try to find something that works for you now. Good luck.
    Thanks for the good thoughts....I can't quite see myself running just yet - even though I have run 2 marathons - in 2005 and in 2009. Right now, I feel good enough to get out and have the great fortune of living at the beach, so I get to see the ocean while I walk. I can't imagine any joy in "slider" foods but I am only going to worry about today. I have been a long term member of a 12-step ED group, and pretty much the recommended food plan there (that I was only sporadically able to follow pre-surgery) is very consistent with what is recommended post-surgery. Plus with added support with people I have known for 20 years, I am believing things will be alright.
    Welcome to the Long Road of WLS.

So much to observe. So many changes happening daily, weekly, etc.

As I'm sure you realize, you only have to do today what you need to do today.

And Christie's observation about the many benefits and uses of exercise (compared to food) to distract those of us who are easily distracted and world-class ruminators is what I've experienced. Thank God it's easier to exercise when you weigh 100 or more pounds less than what you used to weigh.

And as the Wise Ones say, it's all gonna be OK.
    I too am an emotional eater. I've been struggling with that lately (and I'm only a little over a month post surgery). I've got to get myself refocused.
    I'm still newly sleeved but I understand your struggle. The emotions and eating. It's a learned behavior. But I allowed it to become second nature. This is our chance with a really good tool (surgery) to unlearn. Or better yet, relearn a better coping mechanism. I Ike your kite idea, friends/fam, enjoying the beach (wow). It's a time to discover you.
    Hi! Congrats on the weight loss! It's amazing how after we are sleeved we really realize just how much we ate because we were happy, sad, mad, bored etc. That is where we have our sleeve to help prevent us from over eating, because once you start to loose you don't ever want to go back.
    The energy, 1st of all are you taking your vitamins? I take a multi and a B12 on top of that for energy. If I sit around all day I'll be sleepy. If I exercise instead or feeling tired I feel energized.
    But it might be a good idea to check in with your doc, I was feeling so lethargic, I mean I was nodding out at the table! I didnt know why, I thought maybe my body was fighting off a cold or something. This went on for 2 weeks before i realized what was wrong, I have a rare blood type so I donate every 2 months. I went to donate and your hemoglobin has to be above 12.5, mine was 9.6 I was anemic. My iron was so low and so i had no energy. After a week of taking iron vitamins I started to feel so much better! I take iron daily with my other vitamins