Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

jaylynn

Questioning the statistics...

Rate this Entry
I know everyone looses weight differently according to thier own body. However, I am told on the average that I will loose 60% of my excess body weight after the sleeve surgery. How close to the truth is this assumption???

Submit "Questioning the statistics..." to Digg Submit "Questioning the statistics..." to del.icio.us Submit "Questioning the statistics..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Questioning the statistics..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It's bullshit.

Someone's trying to predict YOUR success based on the average of all sleevers' experiences.

Obviously, everyone is not average.

You will lose what YOU have the focus and the discipline to lose. I lost 100% of my excess fat. I'm 5'5", was sleeved 3 years ago at 68 years of age, and lost 100 pounds. For over a year and a half I've weighed 135 pounds.

You get to do YOU.
    My surgeon and nutritionist said the same things, except "You'll lose 70%"...). It's up to YOU, and your determination. Not what weight was lost from a few other sleeve patients. And everyone is completely different from each other. I was told I could lose most of the weight by the time my one year anniversary of surgery. I have dropped 94 pounds in July (surgery was in March, but my pre op diet started in December-- 7 months). And exercise has helped me TREMENDOUSLY! I have to add that in.
    I don't listen to the doctors anymore. Follow your new way of life (eating habit changes) after the surgery and see where it takes you.
    I wish this message would go away. Something like this, if you believe it will set you up for failure. I lost 100% of the required weight after having the sleeve because I didn't believe this and didn't want to be part of the statistic that bought into this myth. SW 233, CW 131, HT 5'4". You'll also hear that you'll regain 10% of the weight you lose and it's true you 'can' if you fall off the wagon. You can also regain 100% if you totally ignore any responsibily for eating right and getting some exercise. The surgery is a tool, a great tool but the most important tool is your brain.
    I agree with Ann! You can lose 100% of your weight if you stick with the lifestyle change.

No way will I ever go back to being obese, but I guess some people do, which is where they got that stupid statistic. It's your choice.

When I had my first interview with my psychologist, and told him I loved to walk (walked even when fat) he said, "Well then you will lose all of your weight." He was right.
    I agree with everyone on here. I had surgery january 24th 2017. Ive lost 117lbs since starting pre-op diet in December. I exercise everyday doing things I love and follow a food schedule that works for me. I learned to reprogram my Brain.I figured out before surgery why I became obese and worked on those problems. I have conquered Obesity and will not go back!!! I love my new life and can't get enough. leaving Wednesday for a hiking and camping trip to the Canadian Rockies.
    I have 50lbs to goand have know doubt Ill hit that by my anniversary. Not concerned with becoming underweight. I prefer myself thinner. but I'm also lifting weights with cardio so Im building muscle and will be thin with muscle, lol Stop looking at statistics and worrying about being to thin. instead concerned yourself with overcoming Obesity and becoming the healthiest person you can be!!! Best of luck Happy to answer any questions.
    Great thread and comments - thanks everyone!
    I also read it is about 65%. I have lost all my excess weight. According to the calculator on a gastric site I was only supposed to lose 52 lbs in 2 years. I have way surpassed that and I will be 10 months tomorrow.
    I'm 7 weeks post op and have already lost 80% of my excess weight.

I would say the stats should be 80% within a year and 100% within 2 - 3 years based on the people I know that have the sleeve.

PG
    That's lower than I've heard from a few docs, but it's usually 60 to 80% will be lost via the sleeve alone. I get that many here are saying how they lost 100% of their excess weight, but that's why the number is an average: success stories like these combined with those that didn't meet their goals with this procedure. The important thing to point out is, more often than not, those that don't have success with the gastric sleeve are those that don't change their lifestyle and embrace the purpose of the sleeve. Many seem to think the sleeve alone will make you lose all the weight you want to, but that's whole heartedly not the case & what skews the success average. Your doctor told you that percentage number to try to drive home the point that as much is this surgery will do for you, it is not a guarantee a losing & keeping off all your excess weight if you don't put work into it. Good luck!
    Thank you all for the comments... very helpful hearing your experience... I guess time will tell...
    I loved reading this discussion. I had also heard 60% and knew it was going to take a lot of effort to lose the other 40%. I love hearing from people who have lost 100% say it is possible and to use it as a tool and it also seems like exercise has become a natural way of life for those who are successful. I miss those days and am looking forward to running again and feeling energetic. I can't wait to be cleared to go back to the gym but until then I walk and move more. I love using my Fitbit to measure and keep track. Thanks guys for the inspiration!
    I couldn't understand why everything I read said that only up to 70% of excess weight was usually lost. I wondered why it wouldn't be 100% if you chose it if the sleeve worked as they say it does (and clearly it does). I intend to be one of those in the 100% range.

I can't wait to be running again, it is such a freeing thing once you get in to it. I'm not game at the moment as I had a knee injury (just after I had my band out) that took 2 1/2 yrs to get better, so thought I would wait until I have had the sleeve and the weight is coming off. I don't want to hurt my knee again. Walking, biking etc will just have to do in the meantime.

I am really looking forward to get out hiking again and it to be much easier than I have been making it for myself over the last decade or two. Here we come South America and Italy, can't wait.