Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shirl

15-Month Post-op Check-In

Rate this Entry
Wow! what a whirlwind! I started my Graduate program, and already two weeks have flown by!!!

Stress eating could improve, both my daughter and I were in separate car accidents weeks from each other, mine was very minor, and while hers totaled her vehicle she walked away with one minor injury. Fortunately, neither of us were at fault and my insurance has been stellar in taking care of everything. Yesterday, we went to a dealership to get her new vehicle and I since we had settled on a price and all the logistics prior to showing up dealership I was hoping to be out of there within the hour which never happened. HANGRY kicked in, I ate several handfuls of hard candy and knowing damn well, I took a few more. I don't eat candy generally, and I have been a good little post op patient mostly, so this was a random incident. But it is upsetting that I just didn't care at the moment.

I weighed myself a few days ago, I am back down to 170lbs, from 176lbs post vacation, but was 168lbs.

Progress, not perfection.

I will try to check more often than not, as I would like to be of service and support to all those new to the forum.

Just know that choosing the Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery was by far the best decision I have made in relation to my health and living a long and diabetes free life! It will not fix your relationship to food, that you will have to work on on a daily ongoing basis.

Preop: choose nutrient rich foods, avoid convenience foods if at all possible, choose foods that are closer to their natural state, try to not snack, cut down on smoking and drinking sugary and alcohol loaded drinks. Get on a schedule. If you don't drink water or take vitamin supplements regularly - start asap!

Early post op: follow-your doctors recommendations, know that you will be able to eat regular food again! walk as much as you can, sip water and your protein shake throught the day, get in your minimum requirements asap! and if you meet your requirements, push yourself to drink a little more water, and sip on more protein shakes or bone broths - staying hydrated and consuming the max amount of protein you can handle will help you recover faster so you can go on with your life. If you feel pain - contact your after surgery team asap.

6 months to 1year post op: be mindful of your eating habits always! stay on program, re-evaluate often! if it is not working anymore, find new ways of eating and continuing to your goal no matter how long it takes.

Reach out to others here! there is a fountain of information among sleeved veterans here.

Reach out to me and send me your good thoughts and vibes! I surely will need them!

HUGS!

Submit "15-Month Post-op Check-In" to Digg Submit "15-Month Post-op Check-In" to del.icio.us Submit "15-Month Post-op Check-In" to StumbleUpon Submit "15-Month Post-op Check-In" to Google

Comments

Yea, Shirl! Glad you weren't hurt badly in your respective wrecks. Be careful out there!

I've missed your voice here.
    Oh Shirl. Sorry to hear about the accidents but so happy that neither of you sustained any major injuries. Congrats on starting your graduate program! That is awesome! I am currently pursuing a special certification/designation for work so I have been keeping busy as well. (Along with training for the 1/2 marathon.) You always give such wonderful, thoughtful advise! I have missed you being on here more frequently. Big hugs!!!
    Wow! That's a lot to deal with! Glad everyone is OK!

Wonderful advice!! Thank you for sharing!

Best wishes on your continued success!!!
    Hey Shirl! time does fly! I'm happy no one got injured in those accidents! sending you good vibes!! take care!
    Great Post! At a time when I needed some reminding...
    Thank you to each and every one of you!
    Thanks Shirl for the post. You were the first person that reached out to me when I joined. I joined in May close to when you had surgery. It took so long for me to get through the process but I had surgery in October last year and have been doing really well since then. I have always enjoyed your positivity. All the best to you and your family.
    Sorry about the accidents, I am glad you and your daughter are ok. I hope you are still doing good. Isn't weird how we always had time to post before the surgery and now after it seems so difficult to sit down and check in I am confident you will get back down again. You look beautiful in your profile picture and very happy. Take care