Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Cadoodle

11 day old sleever:)

Rate this Entry
This is my first time to visit and join this site.I had 2 weeks of pre op liquid diet with Premier shakes, bone broth, clear broths, popcycles, and jello. I had my surgery on August 7, stayed in the hospital one extra day because of low oxygen levels even using my cpap, and came home Wednesday Aug 9th. My hospital stay was not bad at all, except for the fact I could not have a drink of water the whole day or that night. I vaguely remember telling the nurse I thought the doctor was "terribly mean not making me think I could drink after the surgery and STILL not letting me!" My husband and daughter laughed and I thought "they think I am high!" My doctor took great care of me though and had me do a swallow test (EGD) early the next morning. Then I had my first drink. Relief. Since arriving home I have been allowed to have cream soup, cream of wheat, protein shakes, yogurt, jello, popsicle, bone broth, and regular broth. This has been a welcome addition since my surgery date had been changed 3 times and I had been on week 1 of the liquid diet THREE times prior to surgery. My checkup day is Aug. 23 and I think pureed foods will be added.

I guess one thing I may be doing wrong is this. I have been told to stop fluids 30 minutes before a meal and do not drink fluids again until 30-60 minutes after a meal. Sometimes my meal includes a yogurt, jello, and a shake. I always finish the shake to get the 30 grams of protein and eat the other within reason, I worry a bit because I can eat the yogurt and jello and stop eating because I think I surely have had enough to satisfy. But since I eat it all slowly, I do not feel uncomfortable. I worry that this may be too much in one "feeding". Any ideas or suggestions?

I have lost 25 lbs since beginning the liquid diet(s). I actually gained 5 lbs while in the hospital (IV fluid overdose I think, plus horribly salty chicken broth served). Sine I have been home I have lost those 5 lbs plus 4 more. So that equates to only 4 lbs. since my surgery day weight. I am not really upset, but I have read many more successful weight loss stories than mine.

I am looking forward to learning from this group. I am glad to have found you.

Submit "11 day old sleever:)" to Digg Submit "11 day old sleever:)" to del.icio.us Submit "11 day old sleever:)" to StumbleUpon Submit "11 day old sleever:)" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You will lose. Don't get hung up on worrying. I think you definitely need to practice not eating and drinking together. You will have a harder time when you start on solids. It would make me feel very sick if I did. Good luck on your journey! It is a great one to be on. Just follow the rules and work your sleeve! Congrats on your new sleeve!
    Unless your protein shake is your meal, you need to think of it as a liquid, not part of a meal. After being sleeved, meals don't have courses anymore, at least not for the first few months. I am allowed 3 oz. of food total for 1 meal. Most of the time that is my protein not room for anything else in the equation. I mix in pureed vegetables whenever I can to add more food value, but for the most part soft chicken, fish, meatloaf (being careful of the ingredients that I include) are about the extent of a "meal".
    Linda is right about considering the shake to be liquid, not food. Protein, protein, protein at first. I added in a half cup of V-8 juice (liquid, again not food) just because it was a welcome change from all the sweet and has vegetables.