Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

WannaBeALoser

7 days post-op

Rate this Entry
I am seven days post-op, and I thought I would share my experience so far. The first thing that is different from most of what I've read on here is that my surgeon did not require or encourage a pre-op diet. When I asked he said there was no need to torture myself before I was given the tool to help me lose weight. He said he'd never had a patient whose liver was too large to have surgery. Surgery day went well. I wasn't nervous or afraid, although it still didn't feel real. In recovery, I think I had a panic attack. As I was waking up, I had a lot of pain in my chest. I remember hearing someone mention nitro and an ekg. Someone asked me if I'd ever had a panic attack, and I said no. Ekg was fine, and the pain started easing off. I had my surgery on thursday and went home on Sunday. My only complaints would be that of the four incisions, the one on my left side where they removed the stomach was the most painful. Trying to get up out of that hospital bed was painful. I felt like I was going to tear something open. Oh, and the chicken broth....shudder. Otherwise, things went great. Today is the first day my incisions don't hurt at all. I haven't weighed but I can tell I've lost weight in my face. One thing that is weird to me is that I'm still hungry. I thought I wouldn't be hungry at all for a little bit post surgery. It doesn't take much to fill me up, but I've not gotten overfull yet or had any issues with the liquids and now shakes and soups. I almost feel like something isn't right because things are too normal.

Submit "7 days post-op" to Digg Submit "7 days post-op" to del.icio.us Submit "7 days post-op" to StumbleUpon Submit "7 days post-op" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congrats! Everyone is different so I do not think there is a "normal". Enjoy your recovery.
    Congrats!! You will learn what your new normal is. As for me I had no hunger. Really, as far out as a year, I still don't. A lot of people have what is called head hunger. It's not real. Just your head making you feel that way. You will learn to eat till your satisfied not full. Cause if you eat till your full, voice of experience here, you will be sick!! And it is painful. At least for me is was. I had almost no pain after surgery and was kind of like you in that I wondered if it was working for me. But it did and it will. Just like what yolymarie said. Everyone's normal is different.
    I can relate to your feelings of hunger and not being overfull. I was scolded today at my 2 wk post-op appointment for having started pureed foods, i.e. soup and refried beans, after day 5 because my body was physically so hungry I thought I might lose my mind. All I can do is hang in there, but what you said about it feeling "too normal" is the exact feeling I've been having too.

Good luck!

Missy
    Congrats!! Thanks for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Rudewick
    Congrats!! You will learn what your new normal is. As for me I had no hunger. Really, as far out as a year, I still don't. A lot of people have what is called head hunger. It's not real. Just your head making you feel that way. You will learn to eat till your satisfied not full. Cause if you eat till your full, voice of experience here, you will be sick!! And it is painful. At least for me is was. I had almost no pain after surgery and was kind of like you in that I wondered if it was working for me. But it did and it will. Just like what yolymarie said. Everyone's normal is different.
    Thanks for sharing. I'm trying to sip very slowly so I don't overfill. When I start burping, that's normally when I stop. I don't want to throw up....definitely don't want to do that. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by missydiabetes
    I can relate to your feelings of hunger and not being overfull. I was scolded today at my 2 wk post-op appointment for having started pureed foods, i.e. soup and refried beans, after day 5 because my body was physically so hungry I thought I might lose my mind. All I can do is hang in there, but what you said about it feeling "too normal" is the exact feeling I've been having too.

Good luck!

Missy
    I waited a day longer than I wanted to start protein shakes and soups, but I'm tolerating them well. The soup is great because I've never been a big sweets eater and all the shakes, popsicles, jello, etc are sweet. I'll be glad to move on to pureed foods and things like hummus, but that will probably be another week.
    Also, acid reflux can make you think you are having hunger pangs. A lot of people have to be on an antacid for the first few months post op. I did. Once that went away I was fine. I started soft/pureed foods at 10 days because I was so sick of liquids. It did not hinder my weight loss and I have succeeded my goals.