Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

MTMiller

Anyone heavier post-op?

Rate this Entry
Hi all,
My surgery on Fri August 4th went smoothly. I got home yesterday at 11 am. My question is this....pre-op I weighed 275lbs and this morning I weigh 282.2! Does gas weigh that much??? I had some Won Ton soup last night at 7 ( minus wontons , of course) maybe it was the salt in that. My family ordered take out and I got soup and didn't feel left out at all! Good thing I have always loved soup. Of course I know the scale will come down. I was just surprised at the number is all. I I hadn't been in the 270's for 2 1/2 years! Thanks for being here for me! {{{{hugs}}}}
Mary

Submit "Anyone heavier post-op?" to Digg Submit "Anyone heavier post-op?" to del.icio.us Submit "Anyone heavier post-op?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Anyone heavier post-op?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Yes, don't worry about it, your body has been through a lot of trauma, liquids have been pumped in etc. In fact I would advise hiding your scale that whole first month.
    Ir's the IV fluids. Happens to almost everyone. Give it a week. This is going to work.
    You may recall having received bags of intravenous fluids before, during and after surgery. Those IV fluid bags weigh a considerable amount, and therefore, contribute to the heavier weight you're currently sitting at.

To maintain your sanity during this early phase, stay off the scale for several weeks and let your body to sort out the shock it's recently experienced. Daily and weekly weights won't exactly make you lose the weight any slower or faster.

It's physiologically impossible to gain 7 pounds of fat in 2 to 3 days unless you overate nearly 25000 calories in the 48 to 72 hours that have elapsed since your procedure. It's fluid retention. It's water weight. As long as it isn't fat gain, don't worry.

Good luck to you.
    Thank you all for your responses! That does make sense! I will take your wise advice and put my scale away for awhile.
    Hahaha. Yes. I think quite a few people are heavier post op. Don't worry....it will all go away and then some before you know it!
    We were all heavier 2-3 days post op.. Comes off in the first 1-2 weeks for most of us.
    Water weight. Totally normal.
    I am 3 days post op and heavier. Thank you for asking the question and I appreciate the answers!

update - weighed this morning and am down a pound from surgery weight (finally). I was up about 4 pounds after surgery.