Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

miss_sears

Stick and stone... hmmmm

Rate this Entry
Attitudes surrounding Weight Loss Surgery
I have found myself almost stunned at times by the reactions some people in my life have had to my decision to go ahead with my surgery. Obviously none of us choose to associate with people who do not bring ‘a positive’ into our lives, so I have been caught off guard by a number of so called friends as well as family members.

I’m not going to name and shame, just encase they choose to read this. If they do, good for them… maybe they will treat me kinder when they realise this isn’t a rushed decision and that I have been seeking help for over three year after going it alone for ten years prior to that. Few of these people could boast the same dedication to anything that does not bring them joy and excitement.

Whilst many of my friends and family have had a positive response to my BIG NEWS, greeting me with acceptance, understanding and curiosity there have been those who have not. Some of the negative comments that have been made have been quite hurtful. People have said that I am just taking the easy way out, that it won’t work, that I will slip into bad habits or into my old way and have even questioned why I have been accepted at all. All of this combined with looks of disapproval, disappointment and disgust. I am left feeling rather deflated.

Maybe it’s time to re-evaluate the people in my life so that my new life will be filled only with those who actually care.

Submit "Stick and stone... hmmmm" to Digg Submit "Stick and stone... hmmmm" to del.icio.us Submit "Stick and stone... hmmmm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Stick and stone... hmmmm" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Unfortunately there is still a lot of stigma around WLS. I can tell you if it was that simple we would not have the obesity epidemic that we have. I do not regret my decision to be sleeved but for the exact reasons you mentioned above I only told my immediate family and 4 close friends. For me, that was absolutely the right decision. I have all the support I need and am able to share my successes without the judgement and hate. If I had the negativity...I would definitely drop those people like a bad habit. I am going to surround myself with people who are supportive. Life is too short.
    What you do with your body has no effect on anyone but YOU! There will be people who do not understand or just choose to be negative for whatever reason. Don't take it to heart, you're doing this to better yourself and to help you finally lose the weight. Like Christie said, if it was that easy then weight loss surgery wouldn't have become what it is today. Trust me when I tell you that you will not regret your decision no matter what the reactions are that you get when anyone finds out. I don't care what anyone thinks of my decision, it was for me. I'm almost 6 months out from surgery and I've lost 53 pounds. people keep asking what I'm doing to lose weight and they say I look amazing. I tell them I'm doing PIYO, which isn't a lie, just not the whole truth because I'm tired of explaining myself to people when they ask why I would do such a thing to my body. There are people you should tell and people you shouldn't, you just have to decide which people they are. I only told close friends and relatives mostly, but decided to be truthful to a couple people at work and it didn't go well. When I tell you that once the pounds start falling off and you get over anesthesia and heal a bit your energy will skyrocket, its no joke! I take my vitamins religiously and drink a premier protein shake in the morning for breakfast and it gets me jump started for the day(30g of protein per shake). As time goes by you'll feel better and better and you won't have to worry about the negative comments, people will be giving you so much positive reinforcement on your weight loss and it will make you feel even better about your choice and your accomplishment. It's not a cure all, but it's a pretty darn good tool to help you change your lifestyle for the better. best of luck on your journey!
    I'm sorry that you have run into some unhappy people that like to rain on others parade ... I guess to make themselves feel better? I don't know why some people are like that but they seem to be that way with everything, or at least when others make positive changes in their lives. I ran into similar negativity when I got my bachelors degree after years and years of not quitting... one class at a time LOL I am sure I will run into it again when I get out there more and my weight loss is more visible. I am down 36 pounds and my surgery was 7/3. I am so happy, I can't be knocked down.

I think sometimes other people are faced with their own issues. "What am I going to do about my weight gain?" ... it is much easier for them to do nothing and justify it by saying that it won't work, you'll gain it back anyway, wasted money, selfish, you'll lose too much, blah, blah, blah.... I say, KEEP SMILING!!!! Happiness is the best revenge with those types. You are rocking your sleeve!!!!!
    It takes incredible courage to select WLS. It's very much like stepping out of a plane for the very first time and hoping your parachute really works. There's a lot of faith involved, no matter how much research you've done.

You cannot trust or believe what those who have done NONE of that research and have never experienced ANY disabilities and frustrations from living a life of obesity. They are not your crew, not even close! They have no clue.

Trust those who've had WLS. Trust your medical advisors. Trust yourself.

You can fix this. All you have to do, every day, is what you have to do that day. That is all.