Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

MTMiller

Struggling with pre-op diet

Rate this Entry
Hi all,
I am hungry! I do OK until dinner time and then I eat more than I should. Still no bread or pasta but I had a baked potato with my chicken breast. Should have been just non starchy veggies. I will try harder tomorrow. I really am hungry. I wish I had someone to just put it in front of me. I woke up last night at 3:17 hungry. I got a shake. That was a victory. I am scared I won't lose enough on this diet. I am supposed to lose 10-15 lbs on 2 week pre-op diet. My nerves are going too. Overeating helped calm my nerves. I will do better tomorrow. I will put my dinner on a plate earlier in the day. After I eat it I will go outside to get out of the kitchen. I am thankful for the support I find on this site. I read a lot of your posts. Your strength will help me. I will be accountable to all of you tomorrow! Thank you for being here. I just can't wait for the surgery to be over! I am looking forward to NOT being hungry anymore. Mary

Submit "Struggling with pre-op diet" to Digg Submit "Struggling with pre-op diet" to del.icio.us Submit "Struggling with pre-op diet" to StumbleUpon Submit "Struggling with pre-op diet" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Most pre op diet are high protein and low carb. The high protein and low carb after 2-3 days will put you into keytosis and start burning your fat for energy and make your hunger pangs go away . It's classic atkins diet.
    It's important to know that just 1 "Cheat of eating carbs" will restart the entire process. The baked potato is pure carbs. Mostly any green veggie is okay.. Green beans, broccoli , asparagus, lettuce. Ect. Also, make sure to avoid any sugars, including naturally occurring sugars as in Fruit Juices.

I don't want to scare you but your diet now is to shrink your fatty liver. So, that the doctors don't have to fill you with too much gas to push it out of the way. If you don't follow the pre op diet you are going to have a much harder time post op with gas.

Diet both pre op and during the first 1-5 weeks after surgery is REALLY the most important part of recovery. it's not just to get you in the mindset of future eating habits it's to help you recover properly.

Sleeve surgery is a godsend. You only have to suffer for about a month and really only the first 2 days are bad.. The rest of the month is just uncomfortable/inconvenient. This 1 month will DRASTICALLY change your health and your life.

Its all about Delaying instant gratification.

Good Luck, We are all here routing for you and to support you in your journey.

PG
    When I started my pre-op diet (not the liquid diet 10 days before surgery... but the actual diet the surgeon and nutritionist put me on 3 months before surgery), I didn't know how'd I survive. But I did and lost 42 pounds in those months leading to surgery. It's something you have got to stick to and I know it's hard. I cut out the carbs and sweets and drank a shake for breakfast, ate 2 oz of lean meat at lunch (usually tuna salad) and then had 2 oz of chicken breast and steamed broccoli for dinner. If I needed a snack, I ate a Greek light and fit vanilla yogurt and added 1 TBS. of powdered peanut butter (PB2) and it worked for me.

Since surgery, I have lost 49 more pounds, down 91 pounds. It is difficult at times when I 'think' I have a craving for something I shouldn't be eating, and I grab a chocolate peanut butter protein bar. I know how HARD I worked on the pre-op diet, and I know HOW much the ordeal was having the surgery (and my insurance's hoop-jumping I had to do) to get approved, so I am committed to this NEW way of life. It's my New Normal. A 'do-over'.

You can get through this, but your liver needs to shrink down before surgery. Stay focused and you will get there. So much of the hunger is mental, seriously. Just think of how great you will feel down the road.

Good luck!
    Sugar free popsicles and broth may help you get over the cravings for food. You can do this. It is hard but remember how necessary it is. I know that the 3 days immediately pre op for me were only liquids. My surgeon specifically told me it was important not to have any food in my stomach to prevent possible bits getting stuck in my incision and getting infected. That was all I needed to prevent myself from eating any solids for those 3 days. Another thing that may help you keep full is Fa!rlife fat free milk. It has extra protein.
    I feel your pain! I felt like I starved through my pre-op diet. I had to do it twice since my insurance made clerical errors. *Cries* It's miserable. I was working out five days a week and had to cut way back since I simply didn't have the energy to work out anymore. If you get desperate a quarter cup of mashed potatoes on your dinner plate isn't going to effect your liver much (esp if you have an intensive job or exercising.) I had the surgery last week and still on full liquid diet. Back to starving again. I have my pre-op appt this monday. I'll be on pureed food, but hey--food! Hang in there, fella.