Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

taranicholle42

Day 4 post op - home, well and back to work

Rate this Entry
Well my original plan was going to be to give you a detailed account of my experience. Let's just say everything went very well and most of what we expected is what happened.

Day 1 (Wednesday, July 19th) Since we had secured our own ride from the airport, we arrived at the hotel just before midnight. Got checked in and were told to be in the lobby ready-to-go at 8:30.

Day 2 (Thursday, July 20th) Left the lobby and arrived at the hospital where we were met to fill out an info sheet and had our lab work, EKG and weight taken. Following this, we met with Hugo and settled our accounts and verified the procedures we'd be having. Shortly after this meeting we were taken to our hospital room where we changed into our gowns, had our legs wrapped and had our IV's placed...then we waited patiently for them to come get us, one at a time.

They came and got me about 2:00 p.m. And there I was off to surgery. I was back in the room by about 3:00. There was definitely some discomfort from the gas, but mine was in my lungs. I felt as though I could not breathe, but it did pass once I relaxed. I slept for approximately 2 hours. About 5, I got up and walked the halls until about 9:30 p.m. It felt so much better to be up and moving than laying. I also think something they gave me made me a little wired. I was not tired at all. At 9:30, we laid down and slept for a couple hours and then up again walking around 11:30 or so. I got up every couple hours throughout the night.

Day 3 (Friday, July 21st) - We left the hospital around 7 a.m. For the hotel. When we arrived back at the hotel, we were met by the on-call nurses. They had us shower and prepare for bandage changes and our meeting with the doctors. The rest of the day we just got to hang out. We walked outside and went and visited the local flea market. It was a very relaxing day.

Day 4 (Saturday, July 22nd) - We left for x-rays about 8:00 a.m. And returned to the hotel about 9:30 a.m. When we arrived back to the hotel, we had the nurses remove our drain tubes and IV's and began taking the prescribed medicine. It was so nice to have the tubes and IV out!! Due to lack of travel options for us, we left for the airport about 10:00 a.m. It was a long, uncomfortable day of travel between flying and driving, but I made it home around 10:30 p.m. And it felt so good to be at home!

Day 5 (Sunday, July 23rd) - I stayed at home and rested all day. I definitely have a lot of bloating, and am definitely struggling getting the liquids down, but I'm getting there. I think the worst part is the crushing of the pills. I wish they would have prescribed some liquid antibiotics...it would be much more pleasant and I would feel like I'm getting the whole dose. It was a very lazy day!

Day 6 (Today, Monday, July 24th) - I am back at work. Fortunately, I have both standing and sitting workstations and have amazing staff who are willing to help me any way necessary. It was definitely a long day and I plan on sleeping very well tonight! I'm feeling some gas discomfort today, on and off, but nothing intolerable.

I cannot wait for the swelling and bloating to subside, but know each day will get better and better. I do get scared to drink too much fluid at a time, and wish I would have been given more detailed instruction/schedule on drinking/eating, rather than just what, but I know I just have to listen to my body. It will tell me when something is not right.

Submit "Day 4 post op - home, well and back to work" to Digg Submit "Day 4 post op - home, well and back to work" to del.icio.us Submit "Day 4 post op - home, well and back to work" to StumbleUpon Submit "Day 4 post op - home, well and back to work" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

WOW. Can't believe you're back at work so quickly. I'm scheduled Aug 3rd and was anticipating a longer recovery time. Hoping for a similar experience!!

Any advise on what to bring to the hospital?
    Glad to hear everything went so well. Wishing you much success on your journey.
    ✨Welcome to the Sleeved Life!✨

Sounds like you got it together! If you are having challenges getting your protein and water down set your alarm for every 15 minutes to remind you to sip water or protein or broth. If you can get 4-6oz within 5 minutes you will do great!

Most important thing for a speedy recovery is to get your minimum 68g of protein (more if you can) and stay hydrated work toward 68oz a day.

Your job now is to get as much rest as humanly possible. Do not hesitate to reach out if you have any concerns or questions!

✨Wishing you continued success!✨
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    ✨Welcome to the Sleeved Life!✨

Sounds like you got it together! If you are having challenges getting your protein and water down set your alarm for every 15 minutes to remind you to sip water or protein or broth. If you can get 4-6oz within 5 minutes you will do great!

Most important thing for a speedy recovery is to get your minimum 68g of protein (more if you can) and stay hydrated work toward 68oz a day.

Your job now is to get as much rest as humanly possible. Do not hesitate to reach out if you have any concerns or questions!

✨Wishing you continued success!✨

Thank you Shirl. Once I can add protein it will be great. I still have a few days before I get to add that part. They would t authorize me to drink ispiire water, only the items on my list (which wasn't much).
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylamb
    WOW. Can't believe you're back at work so quickly. I'm scheduled Aug 3rd and was anticipating a longer recovery time. Hoping for a similar experience!!

Any advise on what to bring to the hospital?

Believe me I wish I was still off. I was definitely uncomfortable in normal clothes today. Haha. But I have to be back.

As for what to have in the hospital...gas strips, slippers and socks and maybe your favorite blanket. That's all I really had with me. When I left, my super loose pj pants were my friend. Best of luck to you!
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm scheduled with Dr. A Sep 21 and have recently come across some mixed reviews so I'm glad I saw your post. What medications did they give you when you left? Did they have you start taking any vitamins? Were you able to drive yourself home or did you have to get picked up?
    Quote Originally Posted by kzl864
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm scheduled with Dr. A Sep 21 and have recently come across some mixed reviews so I'm glad I saw your post. What medications did they give you when you left? Did they have you start taking any vitamins? Were you able to drive yourself home or did you have to get picked up?

I got 3 medications when I left. A pain pill (unfortunately I do not recall the name, as I did not take it), alumeg (a liquid to help with gas and bloating) and an antibiotic. My instructions for vitamins were to start 2-weeks post-op. As for driving, we were driven to San Diego and flew to Portland. I then drove myself and two of my frieds home, which took about 2.5 hours. We did stop halfway home and walk a bit. It was a bit uncomfortable, but no where near unbearable. I know a lot of the negative reviews about Dr. A are written by other doctors offices that want business. I had an awesome experience and would do it again in a heartbeat, with the same surgeon. The best thing you can do is be sure to strictly follow the pre-op diet (for longer than you are supposed to if you can) and to start walking as soon as you can following the surgery.

Let me know if you have any other questions.